2011 Fusion Sport issues

I have a 2011 Fusion Sport that has the 3.5L V6 that is shared with the MKZ, Edge, Taurus, and others. I have searched high and low on the internet, watched YouTube videos, and signed on a Fusion forum with out much help.
The issue I'm having is that intermittently the engine will stall at idle or very low speed like you just turned the key off. No warning or chugging just shuts off and then I can restart the car. No codes either. Everything i have researched pointed to a bad throttle body. Seems to be a common problem across Fords from what i can tell. Throttle body was already recently replaced so that leaves me a bit puzzled what do do next.

Second issues is that the brakes are soft. Not the fusion issue where the HCU is failing and the brakes randomly go soft. It feels like there is air in the system and i can not bleed it out.

Any help would be great!

The OEM brakes felt soft near the end of their life in our '14 FXT - you used the perfect word for it, since they were not spongy and braking power at full pressure seemed fine. Flushing the entire system with DOT 5.1 changed nothing but the color of the fluid (and was obviously needed for PM).

After a pad/rotor swap, braking was as new. Some effort was required to bang most of the pads out, especially in the front, meaning they were likely corroded AND possibly slightly cocked, though not visibly noticeable. I didn't bleed the system since it had been done recently.

You could also try bedding-in the brakes again if they have plenty of meat left on them. My issue is that the pads on both of my Subies are a major pain to install. It's a clearance fit due to a retention clip. I had no choice but to get it right with the new pads, but it's not worth the effort to pull them for lubing yearly or biyearly, as I used to do, which is a shame.

Try cleaning the throttle body plate, might have gunk behind it not closing fully. Clean the MAF sensor. You need the MAF sensor cleaner here. TB cleaner shouldn't be used. When done reset it. Google/You tube is your friend here. Good Luck!!!

Have you scanned it with a scan tool or you relying solely on the check engine lamp to alert you of DTC's?

Was the TB replaced with a genuine Ford unit?

I hear there's a recall coming for HCU problems, best wait for it before spending any money

For drivability issues, I know Fords have chronic purge valve problems, how's yours check out?

I'd hook it up to FORScan, run the KOEO and KOER tests, look at fuel trims, etc before you start throwing parts at it

You haven't had the issue with coil pack failures taking out the PCM?

This has been a problem for Ford for years. In 2017, Ford recalled some Fusions and Edges (with the 2.0) with similar complaints as yours, OP. The problem according to Ford were badly welded studs on the torque converter in the trans.

There have been numerous complaints about other engine/trans combos of similar vintage Fords for stalling while driving....like just shutting off. Last I heard Ford was resisting a recall and there's a class action suit brewing. Good luck.

I have not had a chance to do any live scanning with FORscan just checked for code and nothing. Throttle body was already replaced with a Ford unit.

Cleaned the MAF and cleaned a handful of ground wire connections under the hood including the battery post. Nothing was excessively corroded but I'm out of ideas with out a check engine light

The car has only stalled once since Jan 9th and that seems to be less frequent then before. I might replace the sensor and see if the problem completely goes away now

I ended up replacing the HCU over the weekend, bled the brakes and bled the HCU with my laptop. Also new roots and pads. Brakes are great!

Still have never figured out that random stalling issue. Today I sat in the car at idle with the laptop running a live data stream and everything looks normal to me. Just nothing jumping out at me

My sister drives this car and i was told "there is a noise". Lovely. I drive it and sure sounds like a right front wheel bearing. Swerve test would confirm that. I replaced the hub and bearing Saturday night and it didn't fix the problem. Today my dad said let's replace the rear bearing on the right side. Didn't fix the problem. I'm stumped and kind of upset because this is ridiculous now. Getting tired of throwing parts at this car

Last edited:
Car will still randomly stall at idle and I have not touched it for a while because I don’t know what to do. Had an old friend of mine and was a Ford mechanic take a look and he also came up empty handed but did suggest a bad PCM. He double checked wiring and looked for bad pins at the PCM but that all looked good.

Does the stalling happen when the AC and/or defroster is on and the AC compressor is running? I have a similar issue in my 2011 Mazda6 (very similar to Ford Fusion) where the car seems like it wants to stall in idle or low speeds like in a parking lot. I’ve found on mine it happens when the AC compressor runs it adds drag on the engine and the engine fights not to stall each time the compressor kicks on. I’m struggling to figure out the cause. No CEL on my car either.

Does temperature difference seem to matter, cold vs hot outside. What about cold vs warm engine?

My sister drives the car so for me to give specifics is hard to do. The times I have looked at it it doesn’t seem to matter if the AC is on or off. The car doesn’t struggle every time the compressor kicks on. Never has stalled on a cold engine.

My sister drives the car so for me to give specifics is hard to do. The times I have looked at it it doesn’t seem to matter if the AC is on or off. The car doesn’t struggle every time the compressor kicks on. Never has stalled on a cold engine.
Try replacing the spark plugs they probably worn

Check the PCM Ground.....The breakout will be very near the PCM & will ground to the Firewall.

Does Fuel Level have any correlation to the Stalling events?......There are not always DTC's related to a sticky Canister Purge Solenoid.

I wouldn't let an employee call a bad PCM without concrete evidence.....This isn't a 90's/00's Chrysler product!

Back