Caravan, Sedona or santa fe

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sedona was never as popular as the Caravan but the folks I've known with them have gotten good service out of them and they were reliable. I would be more likely to choose the Kia myself however I think the Caravan is a solid choice in the segment and price range you're looking at also.

As a Hyundai Santa Fe XL owner (2017-bought new) they are great vehicles However, the 3rd row is a little difficult to get in to-but a child can handle it with no issues. My grandkids (6&7 year old girls) climb back there -and we cart them around often. You could fold flat one seat for gear-put the child in the other.

As an alternative-if a mini van is in consideration you could probably do VERY WELL on an off lease or off rental Kia Sedona.

Remember-I believe the warranty on Hyundai/Kia products is 5 years-50,000 miles to the second owner.

Last edited:
I'd buy the grand caravan. You'll get better mpg than the Kia van and why bother with an SUV when a mini van is the king of kid hauling? The mini vans depreciate really nicely too. You are only a few thousand away from a high mileage Pacifica model but the grand caravan is quite similar anyway.

Originally Posted by dareo
I'd buy the grand caravan. You'll get better mpg than the Kia van and why bother with an SUV when a mini van is the king of kid hauling? The mini vans depreciate really nicely too. You are only a few thousand away from a high mileage Pacifica model but the grand caravan is quite similar anyway.

Because you would have to drive a minivan?

Its worth it when you have big giant automatically opening doors to get those kids in and out of.

Originally Posted by CKN

I used to think like that. And now I think the minivan is the best all-purpose vehicle this side of a 4 door, standard bed pick up truck.

Its worth it when you have big giant automatically opening doors to get those kids in and out of.

Also this. Getting car seats in and out of tight parking spaces with sliding doors beats normal doors.

Last edited:
Grand Caravan all the way. I had them as rentals prob half dozen times (Orlando was a regular fly in airport for me and rental companies there seemingly only stock minivans) and after my first one that pleasantly surprised me I did not balk at them ever again. My only complaint with them over thousands of miles was the terrible blinker/headlight stalk that feels beyond cheap and has horrible action feel, feels like it's going to shatter off in your hand.

They eat up highway miles like their job in supreme comfort and I regularly saw 27 MPG average on my Orlando to Ft Myers one way. Pentastar power is amazing and it can easily embarrass a lot of vehicles.

I think even through the multiple marriages and divorces that Chrysler has had the vans never suffered too much from the cost cutting measures and have maintained a pretty high standard.

Originally Posted by donnyj08
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Caravan. Will be the cheapest to get into and will be inexpensive to own and operate.

+1

An SE model is a good value used.

Indeed on that. Our 2013 Grand Caravan SE model was my favorite of the 4 different make/model minivans we owned over the years. After rebates, incentives and the "supplier pricing" voucher I had, I got if for around $21K +TTL brand new in 2013.

To keep maintenance costs as low as possible, if you don't need rear HVAC and can find a Grand Caravan without it, by all means go that way. I've had rear HVAC refrigerant leaks on our 2007 Honda Odyssey and our 2016 Nissan Quest. Lucked out with the 2013 Grand Caravan, but only owned it about 40 months and 70K miles.

The rear AC leaks are indeed a problem, but can be prevented. I posted my solution many, many times. I think spraying the area regularly with rustproofing oil would also help. But I know my yogurt shield has worked great so far.
smile.gif

On the other hand, minivans are quite big and the rear occupants will suffer quite a bit from temperature extremes in summer. I would only advise not getting that option if the rear seats are very rarely used.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
The rear AC leaks are indeed a problem, but can be prevented. I posted my solution many, many times. I think spraying the area regularly with rustproofing oil would also help. But I know my yogurt shield has worked great so far.
smile.gif

KrisZ, I'm with you and I do recall your excellent write-up on that. Hopefully this is a cure. It doesn't seem to always be corrosion being the issue with those rear components. Seal leaks are common too. I don't know if it's due to movement / flex back there, or just cheap-[censored] components.

It was a seal leak on our 2016 Nissan Quest last year on a block/manifold looking thing for the rear HVAC that deflated the system. It's all integrated into the evap and heater core of course. Instead of resealing it, I was under warranty so they replaced it to the tune of $1200. Cost me zero thankfully.

Last edited:
Dodge Grand Caravan SE. Bought mine for 19k with 3k on it. Only problem I have is where the door lock switch is as my Chihuahua gets on arm rest watching for me and locked the door as well as opened rear quarter window. I had to get a ride home and leave vehicle running.

We have a 2016 SE Plus Grand Caravan that I bought new for about $21k. It is our "just when we need the capacity" vehicle for work and play, so it doesn't get a ton of mileage.

That said, I'm happy with it as a "maximum capability for the dollar" choice. Lightly used ones can be bought cheap.

Dodge keeps making (and deep discounting) them and the overall design and manufacturing are very much worked out. Not perfect, but more than good enough.

Cheap to insure and to maintain in part because there are so many of the same design on the road. Aftermarket parts are plentiful which keeps factory parts prices somewhat under control.

Originally Posted by CKN

Hey, if drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon beer is cool, it is only a matter of time before I start getting compliments on being so secure in my ego that I can hold my head high and drive a minivan.

Fashion is weird. Driving a truck looks cool ?????

If you have no need for AWD, then the Caravan or Sedona would be good choices.

If the Caravan has Stow-n-go seating, go for that, because it gives you the best flexibility with cargo hauling and people hauling without the need to remove a heavy seat from a car and store it somewhere.

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by KrisZ
smile.gif

KrisZ, I'm with you and I do recall your excellent write-up on that. Hopefully this is a cure. It doesn't seem to always be corrosion being the issue with those rear components. Seal leaks are common too. I don't know if it's due to movement / flex back there, or just cheap-[censored] components.

It was a seal leak on our 2016 Nissan Quest last year on a block/manifold looking thing for the rear HVAC that deflated the system. It's all integrated into the evap and heater core of course. Instead of resealing it, I was under warranty so they replaced it to the tune of $1200. Cost me zero thankfully.

Thanks JTK!
I don't know about other makes, but on Grand Caravans and Town & Countries, it is mostly caused by heavy water and debris spray from the rear tire. Over time corrosion and constant blasting from the tires takes its toll. You don't hear much about this problem from owners in the southern states but from the rust belt. This leads me to believe it is mostly caused by corrosion, but there may be other factors as well.

One thing's for sure, most minivans and even SUVs with rear AC setup seem to have this problem at one point.

Last edited:
Another option, Look for an older Toyota Sienna. I purchased a 06 sienna 4-5 years ago with 70K miles on it for ~$9 or $10K.

Not saying you have to go that old, you can find a 2011+ with low miles in your price range. I went older because I like the 3.3 motor vs the 3.5 in the newer ones. The 3.3 is easier to work on and run forever.

I gave it to my ex last year but its sitting around 120K miles now. Did the timing belt, front sway bar links and a trans service at 100K before I handed it over. Just normal maintenance the rest of it's life. Did I mention they are really easy to work on if you need to
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Huie83
Another option, Look for an older Toyota Sienna. I purchased a 06 sienna 4-5 years ago with 70K miles on it for ~$9 or $10K.

Not saying you have to go that old, you can find a 2011+ with low miles in your price range. I went older because I like the 3.3 motor vs the 3.5 in the newer ones. The 3.3 is easier to work on and run forever.

I gave it to my ex last year but its sitting around 120K miles now. Did the timing belt, front sway bar links and a trans service at 100K before I handed it over. Just normal maintenance the rest of it's life. Did I mention they are really easy to work on if you need to
smile.gif

Maybe he can get a 4-cylinder Sienna in that price range. They only made it for a couple years, but the 4-cylinder will be MUCH easier to work on than a transverse V6
smile.gif

Even though the transverse V6 is inherently a bad design, Toyota's are even worse
mad.gif

:

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Maybe he can get a 4-cylinder Sienna in that price range. They only made it for a couple years, but the 4-cylinder will be MUCH easier to work on than a transverse V6
smile.gif

Even though the transverse V6 is inherently a bad design, Toyota's are even worse
mad.gif

:

I'm not sure what you mean, I did a search before posting and there are many 11-13's with 68-100K miles in his price.

As far as the transverse V6, plenty of room in the Sienna from my experience doing the timing belt etc on my 06. If you need to get to the rear bank of cylinders just remove the wiper cowl, 10 bolts and it comes right out, it's wide open then.

Just a note on the Toyota 3.5 in the SIenna's, they are known for eating water pumps as well as blowing a oil hose that runs down the back of the engine I believe. They have a revised part for the oil line that is all metal. The water pump, well, it is what it is, the reason I went with a older 3.3. On the flip side, you get the newer 6 speed trans in the 3.5 vs a 5 speed in the 3.3.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Huie83
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

smile.gif

mad.gif

:

I'm not sure what you mean, I did a search before posting and there are many 11-13's with 68-100K miles in his price.

As far as the transverse V6, plenty of room in the Sienna from my experience doing the timing belt etc on my 06. If you need to get to the rear bank of cylinders just remove the wiper cowl, 10 bolts and it comes right out, it's wide open then.

Just a note on the Toyota 3.5 in the SIenna's, they are known for eating water pumps as well as blowing a oil hose that runs down the back of the engine I believe. They have a revised part for the oil line that is all metal. The water pump, well, it is what it is, the reason I went with a older 3.3. On the flip side, you get the newer 6 speed trans in the 3.5 vs a 5 speed in the 3.3.

IIRC the 6AT is a "sealed" trans while the 5AT has a dipstick. Dunno if that holds any sway or not.

Caravan is a "sealed" 6AT but Dorman makes a dipstick for it, so not all is lost. [The dipstick isn't actually required, there are other ways around it, but it may be easiest to get that.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back