Disturbing Call This Morning From Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
But usually the paranormal phone messages are mostly just whimpers and moans. The phenomenon is hair-raising, for it generally comes from the dead person's former cell or landline phone number.

I remember maybe back in 1983 when I was around 15,there was a radio story on one night called "Phone calls from the dead" about peoples' dead relatives contacting them via a phone call. I remember it totally freaked me out!! I recorded it on a cassette tape and I still have it somewhere.

This whole thread is about scams. It's just another scam. Scams come and go. If it were real, you'd hear more about it. It's public info when people die. They also use it to break in and rob the place too.

I believe that radio story was based on this book that deals with parapsychology:
https://www.amazon.com/Phone-Calls-Dead-investigation-incredible/dp/0136643345

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
But usually the paranormal phone messages are mostly just whimpers and moans. The phenomenon is hair-raising, for it generally comes from the dead person's former cell or landline phone number.

I remember maybe back in 1983 when I was around 15,there was a radio story on one night called "Phone calls from the dead" about peoples' dead relatives contacting them via a phone call. I remember it totally freaked me out!! I recorded it on a cassette tape and I still have it somewhere.

This whole thread is about scams. It's just another scam. Scams come and go. If it were real, you'd hear more about it. It's public info when people die. They also use it to break in and rob the place too.

I believe that radio story was based on this book that deals with parapsychology:

Oh great, now you can expect calls from your dead grandmother, "When are you getting married"

I get the "Chinese Embassy" calls almost everyday. Always a different #-855, 845, area codes. Been getting them over a year and lately between 8-9 am every morning. I've been blocking every # but I give up.....Finally unleashed a torrent of good ol American language on them-even tho it's a recording lol.....I have read about the scam but I don't see how calling me everyday gets them $. They don't answer, they don't leave a # to call back (not that I would). I set my phone to contacts only and they get through. I set my Voicemail to contacts only and they get through. Back when I was on call, I couldn't turn off my phone so I could get some sleep. Maddening.......You can Google it, it's rampant. If they can do this and not get shut down, what are they really capable of when the stuff hits the fan.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

I've got to find a cheap copy of that!! Sweet!!

Some number that showed as Somalia blew up my phone a couple weeks ago. It started at around midnight, and I turned my phone off, then it started again in the morning, so I blocked the number. It was weird how the Somalia number kept calling and wasn't even disguised. I get other scam calls, but usually with a spoofed local or at least a US number. Those ones will sometimes leave a message, which always sounds like a muffled recording in some dialect of Chinese. I guess somehow this stuff pays off in some way some percentage of the time?

That Chinese call uses the entire exchange. But you can block an entire exchange or even an entire area code which is what I do. Got a new Samsung S10 for Verizon recently and there's new apps on it, one of them automatically blocks spam calls, does a decent job of it. Sometimes it only rings once or twice before it's stopped so now I just wait for it to ring 3-4 times before answering.

"Sometimes it only rings once or twice before it's stopped so now I just wait for it to ring 3-4 times before answering.". Now I'm awake, wondering who called..Sleep is jacked again.We sent man to the moon. We can back down rockets to land. How can this be so hard to stop?

I usually answer these calls and let them listen to youtube videos. Wasting their time but not yours is the only thing that can cost them extra.

Just by answering the phone you've opened yourself up to getting more calls.

On my iPhone I only answer calls that are in my contacts. For those who are very close or important I check them off as VIP. My phone is scheduled for Do Not Disturb during sleep hours unless it's a VIP calling.

I am also in Texas and get a lot of Chinese Embassy calls. I answered one by accident and blocked the rest.

Have also had two calls from Russia within the past month.

Originally Posted by JunkdrawerDog
I'm in. Got one from Guatemala 2 days ago. And no, I didn't answer it or call back.

Hopefully you won't get another phone call from the scammers. But likely you will get one by the time you read this.

Originally Posted by PimTac

On my iPhone I only answer calls that are in my contacts. For those who are very close or important I check them off as VIP. My phone is scheduled for Do Not Disturb during sleep hours unless it's a VIP calling.

Is it that? I mean, if you have a functioning phone number, and it rings, then goes to VM, they know it's a working number. In fact, if it rings at all perhaps it's indication enough that it's a working number.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by PimTac

Is it that? I mean, if you have a functioning phone number, and it rings, then goes to VM, they know it's a working number. In fact, if it rings at all perhaps it's indication enough that it's a working number.

I essentially do the same thing as PimTac. The scammers may call a few times and leave a message or not, but if you never answer they give up pretty easily.

The calls from the "Chinese Embassy" spoof numbers, mostly never the same area code or number-you can block that one but it does no good. How they get past "Contacts Only" setting, I have no idea. I am trying an app called Hiya, supposed to be the best one for Android. Will post back, but got a call this am already, tho they didn't leave msg, so not sure who that was.

For our land line I installed a Call Sentry 3.1:

https://www.amazon.com/Sentry-Industries-Inc-CT-CID868-Blocker/dp/B019ERMS90

Although it has some quirks this is a great gadget! Loaded it up with known phone numbers, put a bunch of 8xx area codes in the blacklist, and wired it in between the phone company and the house wiring. No more bogus calls! It does keep history of the last 50 callers and on a typical day it blocks about a dozen scammers. If someone calls from from an unknown number they can press 0 to put themselves on the whitelist and call back. (Obviously a live scam caller could do this but they rarely if ever do, they're looking for easy marks. So far none have done so.)

I have no idea if there is an "app" for smartphones that works in a similar way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back