So these Raybestos coated rotors are working great (NOT)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty disappointed in these rotors' coating. By my maintenance notes, I put them on 4/18/2018 and as of today they've been on for 28k miles and 20.5 months. I also live in western WA with lots of rain, BUT no real winter weather or salted roads. In fact if it snows, this car sits and an SUV is used if needed.

I've had good performance from Raybestos ceramic pads, but these rotors are a disappointment.

coated rotors 20 months.JPG

That does seem premature especially around the hat. The vanes will rust more from the heat, but the hats usually stay pretty for a while.

Thank you for the update. This type of feedback is just what we need.

I will follow up in a year or two on my EBC black coated rotors installed a few months ago. There are hints that my black coating is Geomet, but I have not confirmed this (just emailed EBC USA and will follow up).

Originally Posted by skyactiv
German made coated Zimmerman rotors fair much better in my experience.

I've had good luck with coated Zimmerman's too. "Z Coated", or something like that. Too lazy to look.

Scott

Thank you Oro.
As mentioned earlier, this is exactly the type of real world parts performance feedback we can use. Sorry that these let you down.

Ill post a few pics of my ZImmerman fronts and Fremax rears on my GL, I installed 2 years and 12k ago, although NJ climate is a bit different.

How much does it really matter if the rotors have rust? The calipers look bad too.

Do you think they would hold up better if you painted them from new?

Non-coated rotors rust overnight
crazy2.gif

I have good experience with Centric, Wagner, and Power Stop coated rotors. Centric and Wagner use the black e-coating, while Power Stop uses the gray Geomet coating

Originally Posted by Oro_O
Pretty disappointed in these rotors' coating. By my maintenance notes, I put them on 4/18/2018 and as of today they've been on for 28k miles and 20.5 months. I also live in western WA with lots of rain, BUT no real winter weather or salted roads. In fact if it snows, this car sits and an SUV is used if needed.

I've had good performance from Raybestos ceramic pads, but these rotors are a disappointment.

Thanks for the update.

Every time I bring up NAPA Ultra Premiums I get told that they're just Raybestos coated rotors with a much higher price.

But when I sold my Honda Pilot they had 2 years and 40K miles on the NAPA U.P. front rotors, and still looked almost new, not like this pic. And, I live in the snowier part of Maryland where road salt is abundant.

I think it's about time to draw a distinction between the two.

Looking at the picture, the rotor was designed that way. Look at the center, hub area (the hat), and you'll see the coating is fine and there is no rust. Whatever rust is on the hat is from the hub flange. The outside edge of the rotor, as well as the inner vanes, is rusty. This area was not coated so rust is to be expected. Perhaps these particular rotors were a lower cost option in their catalog. I don't know, and I'm not throwing stones. For example, the Zimmerman Z Coat rotors, the entire rotor is coated, including the outside edge and internal vanes. The braking surface itself is coated, but it burns off after 5 or 10 mils of easy braking.

FWIW,

Scott

Meh, where I live they salt the roads just in CASE it might snow, and I've never felt coated rotors were worth the extra cost. Then again I don't drive like a madman, and don't tow down long, steep hills. If I did it might matter more.

My only real concern is that they don't rust-weld themselves to hubs, so I always use grease or anti-seize and clean up the hub before a new rotor.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Every time I bring up NAPA Ultra Premiums I get told that they're just Raybestos coated rotors with a much higher price.

But when I sold my Honda Pilot they had 2 years and 40K miles on the NAPA U.P. front rotors, and still looked almost new, not like this pic. And, I live in the snowier part of Maryland where road salt is abundant.

I think it's about time to draw a distinction between the two.
No distinction is necessary. The NAPA rotors are almost with 100% certainty re-branded Raybestos rotors.

Originally Posted by painfx
I put on the Raybestos ecoated about a year and it does not look like yours..
My wife's car has these rotors (Element 3 or EHT). The fronts were put on in May '18 and the rears in October '18 and neither look as bad as the OP's. I haven't checked them closely in a while but last time I did, they didn't look much different than when they were new.

My coated raybestos rotors looked the same after after less than a year, not impressed with their coating.

Do they stop your car without issues? That is the number one consideration in my book. A little rust on them? Really?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back