Today we are learning how to change spark plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time she learns how to do this. Super easy on the case tractor. Gap is .025 lol

IMG_20200104_124638.jpg

IMG_20200104_125137.jpg

IMG_20200104_125319.jpg

That's the age to start them. Although......nothing really makes sense to them until they know exactly what each component of the ignition system does and why too large or too small of a gap will cut out peak efficiency.
I remember learning the fundamentals of automotive in high school, but it really didn't all click together until having explained in trade school. And even then, there were a lot of "deer in the headlight" looks among classmates.
I bet she has a big smile on her face when you take her on a tractor ride!

....and down the road when some $hit heel mechanic tries to rip her off, she can tear his heart out.

Capable, assured girls grow into confident, forward moving women. Too much for some "men".

Originally Posted by Kira
Capable, assured girls grow into confident, forward moving women. Too much for some "men".
Those "men" have no problem attracting those "confident, forward moving women" though, I wonder why that is?
confused2.gif

Very cool Dad!
smile.gif

I taught my daughter how to change the oil & filter and change a tire. Now it's time to show here how to plug a tire.

Good job there.

Problem is today's vehicles just don't require as frequent changes.
It has been 5 years since I have changed plugs, and I did those when my daughter was at school.

my next planned plug change is not for at least 2 more years.

Originally Posted by Kira
....and down the road when some $hit heel mechanic tries to rip her off, she can tear his heart out.

Got that right. Our girls (12 and 16) have been in the garage with me several times, Crossfit with their mom and I, and hopefully will be worldly, powerful women. Good job OP.

Excellent! Even if it never becomes a passion or even a hobby, that is quality bonding time as well as useful skillsets.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Good job there.

Problem is today's vehicles just don't require as frequent changes.
It has been 5 years since I have changed plugs, and I did those when my daughter was at school.

my next planned plug change is not for at least 2 more years.

Good to teach them if they want to learn.

But wouldn't biochemistry be better?
smile.gif

I cant teach my wife anymore to be self sufficient. I wanted to do a training session on tire removal spare tire mounting with her Subaru/ But she wouldnt bother.

Then I'll get the call someday she's in the hinterlands with a flat and cant figure it out. And Of I go on some 100 mile resque /repair trek

smile.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif

On plugs. Given hours of operation. Never changed plugs on my Snow thrower in 27 years.
Pulled it once at 15 years - it looked sharp and good. Back in it went.
Not good to disturb the sleeping giants - which is secondary ignition.

Changed the plugs a couple years ago on my 29 y.o. B&S mover. it didnt like the new "easy start" part number ( IMO, the extended tip advanced ig timing too much) So the old one went back in.

Plugs last longer with low oil usage engines and unleaded fuel.
Now off-tuned engine and oil users will need more frequent changes due to earth metals plating out on the insulators and inner shell.

Now moronic Subaru requires a change on the plugs on my wife's 2017 car at 60K miles

BUT It has special fingenail -tip Ruthenium/Iriduim plug which are super long life.

BaH ! Humbug !

I'm leaving them in for another 30K. Car runs great, no misfire.
IMO its a money grab for SOA dealers that's all.

there is an excuse to void my free engine lifetime warranty!

Originally Posted by dlundblad
What model is your Case tractor?

The data plate is missing. From my research its an 1956 or 1957 case 300 series. Most likely a 311 with the adjustable tube front axle. Looks like 56 and 57 were the only 2 years that mounted the headlights back by the driver,not up on the grill surround and had the 148 cuin engine.

Just like this.

Last edited:
Wish my daughter took an interest in this stuff, oh well. My son does...1 out of 2 ain't bad.🤔

Good job..🤘ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Wish my daughter took an interest in this stuff, oh well. My son does...1 out of 2 ain't bad.🤔

Good job..🤘ðŸ‘

She was not given a choice.
lol.gif
I told her we were going to do this. My wife thinks I'm making her too tomboyish. I just wan't her to be self sufficient.

The old plugs were not very old and had low hrs on them. But for some reason it would not start well with them. They looked great,no fouling and light brown on the insulator.

Took a can of starting fluid to get it running. After the new plugs it fired right up with only 1/2 crank.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Good job..🤘ðŸ‘

This is my kids. We have a 9 year old daughter who couldn't care less about engines, racing, or anything motorsports. However, our 2 year old loves going to the track. She gets all excited and jumps like crazy when the cars drive by. I'm already pricing out a junior dragster for when she turns 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back