Recent Topics
Washing coolant down a storm drain?
by jharrison - 02/22/20 12:57 AM
storm door installation question
by FirstNissan - 02/22/20 12:13 AM
Kirkland VS M1
by A_Spruce - 02/21/20 11:24 PM
Ryan Newman bar
by P10crew - 02/21/20 10:16 PM
Good aftermarket shocks and struts?
by Micahmcmeen - 02/21/20 09:49 PM
Oil Marketing
by Mathew_Boss - 02/21/20 09:45 PM
run to your walmart NOW!
by willow - 02/21/20 09:39 PM
When redundancy goes out the window
by Exhaustgases - 02/21/20 08:34 PM
Please help me decide....
by ecureed - 02/21/20 08:03 PM
Flywheel pic
by Chris142 - 02/21/20 07:49 PM
Rislone Hyper Fuel
by rrretiree7 - 02/21/20 07:40 PM
Bosch Brakes
by ChiTDI - 02/21/20 07:16 PM
Which 15W40 for an Onan generator?
by atikovi - 02/21/20 06:39 PM
Valvoline Advanced 5W40 MST
by BurntMusic - 02/21/20 06:04 PM
2014 F250, 6.7L 13,000 OCI Amsoil AME 15w40
by claluja - 02/21/20 05:43 PM
What Are These On My Caliper Pistons?
by Fitz98 - 02/21/20 05:37 PM
Gun carry insurance
by Colt - 02/21/20 05:25 PM
drywall crack. how do i fix it?
by WhyMe - 02/21/20 02:55 PM
Yokohama AVID Ascend GT
by Bottom_Feeder - 02/21/20 02:53 PM
Getting my Chevy 4.3 to 300k
by CharlotteB - 02/21/20 02:16 PM
Newest Members
Hubbs1982, AW4BYT, YOUSSEF, b3e3, Bogdon
70775 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
37 registered members (bhmax, Aero540T, Blkstanger, 2013ecof150, BlakeB, Bailes1992, 2 invisible), 1,269 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics301,769
Posts5,202,393
Members70,775
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 4 5
Re: Hy-Per lube oil additive [Re: bbhero] #5306884 12/29/19 06:42 AM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 591
T
talest Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 591
The Hy-Per lube seems a good one..

Re: Hy-Per lube oil additive [Re: bbhero] #5306954 12/29/19 08:44 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,426
C
caprice_2nv Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,426
Unfortunately both the cold start piston slap and very slight valve train noise warmed up are exactly the same to my ear. I'm still glad that it's supposed to help activate the zddp at colder temps since I short trip this car every day (6-7 minute drive to work in town). So even though it sounds the same, wear could potentially be lower. At the price I paid I won't be trying it again though, since I was mainly hoping it would quiet the piston slap.


84 Olds Cutlass - 350 Olds
83 Chevy Caprice - 305 Sbc
79 Honda CX500
Re: Hy-Per lube oil additive [Re: caprice_2nv] #5306987 12/29/19 09:33 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 33,970
D
demarpaint Offline
Offline
D
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 33,970
Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Unfortunately both the cold start piston slap and very slight valve train noise warmed up are exactly the same to my ear. I'm still glad that it's supposed to help activate the zddp at colder temps since I short trip this car every day (6-7 minute drive to work in town). So even though it sounds the same, wear could potentially be lower. At the price I paid I won't be trying it again though, since I was mainly hoping it would quiet the piston slap.

Unfortunately piston slap is not going to be quieted with an oil additive, that has been discussed many times before here. Valve train noise perhaps if it is a sticking lifter that gets cleaned up. That can take thousands of miles, so it might still happen. Good luck.


God Bless Our Troops

Re: Hy-Per lube oil additive [Re: demarpaint] #5307106 12/29/19 12:22 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,426
C
caprice_2nv Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,426
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Unfortunately both the cold start piston slap and very slight valve train noise warmed up are exactly the same to my ear. I'm still glad that it's supposed to help activate the zddp at colder temps since I short trip this car every day (6-7 minute drive to work in town). So even though it sounds the same, wear could potentially be lower. At the price I paid I won't be trying it again though, since I was mainly hoping it would quiet the piston slap.

Unfortunately piston slap is not going to be quieted with an oil additive, that has been discussed many times before here. Valve train noise perhaps if it is a sticking lifter that gets cleaned up. That can take thousands of miles, so it might still happen. Good luck.


I kind of doubt it will get any better. I switched it to synthetic 10 years ago and when I bought it he said that the mechanic said it had a lifter noise, I had to really listen for it (barely audible) so I wasn't concerned. Now 70k miles later it's basically the same, maybe a decibel louder. The piston slap developed around 5 years ago. I think one of my ex's drove the [censored] out of it cold and that might have something to do with it.


84 Olds Cutlass - 350 Olds
83 Chevy Caprice - 305 Sbc
79 Honda CX500
Re: Hy-Per lube oil additive [Re: demarpaint] #5307463 12/29/19 08:36 PM
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 7,533
B
bbhero Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 7,533
I agree it may well help with a stuck lifter.... Or valve train noise.,. I actually just added 6 ozs of this Hy per lube to the lady's Camry yesterday. It does help quiet the valve train noise on that 2.2 L motor.


Nissan Altima 3.5 Coupe
Cam2 SuperproMax 5w30 Carquest r84356 Oil filter
"Treat your family like your friends and treat your friends like your family."
Re: Hy-Per lube oil additive [Re: bbhero] #5307669 12/30/19 05:52 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 33,970
D
demarpaint Offline
Offline
D
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 33,970
Originally Posted by bbhero
I agree it may well help with a stuck lifter.... Or valve train noise.,. I actually just added 6 ozs of this Hy per lube to the lady's Camry yesterday. It does help quiet the valve train noise on that 2.2 L motor.

I heard people echo your comments. I think where the product "might" really shine is in vehicles which sit for long periods of time, as in weeks w/o being used. The "esters" in the product "might" have some benefit, more benefit in some oils than others in keeping a nice film of oil on engine internals vs. oil alone, in vehicles which are not driven that often.


God Bless Our Troops

Re: Hy-Per lube oil additive [Re: demarpaint] #5307867 12/30/19 09:48 AM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 12,268
T
Triple_Se7en Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 12,268
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by bbhero
I agree it may well help with a stuck lifter.... Or valve train noise.,. I actually just added 6 ozs of this Hy per lube to the lady's Camry yesterday. It does help quiet the valve train noise on that 2.2 L motor.

I heard people echo your comments. I think where the product "might" really shine is in vehicles which sit for long periods of time, as in weeks w/o being used. The "esters" in the product "might" have some benefit, more benefit in some oils than others in keeping a nice film of oil on engine internals vs. oil alone, in vehicles which are not driven that often.

Another option not mentioned here is Lubegard Biotech Additive.


Being Trolled? Use the Ignore User Option
Keepa' Ya' Pistons, Valves & Injectors Clean
19' Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 GDI / 20' Kia Soul XLine 2.0 MPI - both Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 Mobil1 Filters



Re: Hy-Per lube oil additive [Re: MolaKule] #5312838 01/04/20 05:57 AM
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 17
D
Deliverance95345 Offline
Offline
D
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by mctmatt
Hy-Per Lube also has another additive called Oil Treatment that you can add in place of a quart of oil when you change it. Does this additive provide any real benefit as the above product for a daily driver as I have a 96 Ford Taurus that runs great, and I use it to and from work 12 miles one way with half being at least in stop and go traffic here in Austin TX. I change every 5,000 miles as it is easy to keep up with those intervals.


No, that product is solely an oil thickener, is only good for smokers, and has no place in well maintained engine that has used modern oils.


I just used this on my truck tonight, 1QT Hyper Lube to 6QTS Castrol Edge.

Will it mess up my truck? Should I drain it the minute I get to work later today?

Truck has 103K miles, no oil leaks or burning/usage. Very well maintained but did add to try and quiet a small tick I had been hearing

Truck used BG MOA multiple times in the past without issue.

Thank you

Re: Hy-Per lube oil additive [Re: Deliverance95345] #5313298 01/04/20 04:27 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,426
C
caprice_2nv Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,426
Originally Posted by Deliverance95345
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by mctmatt
Hy-Per Lube also has another additive called Oil Treatment that you can add in place of a quart of oil when you change it. Does this additive provide any real benefit as the above product for a daily driver as I have a 96 Ford Taurus that runs great, and I use it to and from work 12 miles one way with half being at least in stop and go traffic here in Austin TX. I change every 5,000 miles as it is easy to keep up with those intervals.


No, that product is solely an oil thickener, is only good for smokers, and has no place in well maintained engine that has used modern oils.


I just used this on my truck tonight, 1QT Hyper Lube to 6QTS Castrol Edge.

Will it mess up my truck? Should I drain it the minute I get to work later today?

Truck has 103K miles, no oil leaks or burning/usage. Very well maintained but did add to try and quiet a small tick I had been hearing

Truck used BG MOA multiple times in the past without issue.

Thank you


I don't know if it's necessary to drain it immediately but I'd probably change it out sooner to put just oil in, or oil and the better hyper lube stuff from the original post. Maybe an early change will help the tick anyway.


84 Olds Cutlass - 350 Olds
83 Chevy Caprice - 305 Sbc
79 Honda CX500
Re: Hy-Per lube oil additive [Re: bbhero] #5313308 01/04/20 04:35 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,426
C
caprice_2nv Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,426
I can't say I notice a difference in my engine noise but if anyone is interested I made a cold start piston slap video today and compared to a video from this winter before adding the hyper lube and another video from 4 years ago when it was -30 celcius. Not apples to apples but fun to hear a carbureted engine start at that kind of temperature anyway.




Last edited by caprice_2nv; 01/04/20 04:37 PM. Reason: Wrong link

84 Olds Cutlass - 350 Olds
83 Chevy Caprice - 305 Sbc
79 Honda CX500
Page 5 of 5 1 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™