Pilot shortage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here you go.

Pilots with military background.PNG

Yes, you definitely have to "pay your dues" to be a major airline pilot. The payoff is senior, narrow-body Captains can possibly gross $350,000 - $400,000 right now with some overtime and profit sharing. That number includes the 401k match.

Even senior First Officers can gross $250,000+ if they work a lot - or know how to "work the system" well.

Look at Blue line You can start a career cheaper than a regular 4 year degree and make more than the typical liberal arts degrees that the colleges are pumping out these days

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
I felt sorry for the new-hire first officers when I was a flight attendant at ASA. Brazilia F.O.s were making similar money as me, and had education debt, which I didn't. Most of them worked 2nd jobs...some as waiters. Not a great way to compensate someone who's responsible for so much.

Airline crews aren't a happy bunch, unless they're very senior. No mystery that there's a shortage, if there really is one. Thin out the executive offices and make room for better pay would be my suggestion.

Wylie, did you ever work for Acme Airlines?

As someone who is a maintenance planner and technical writer for an airline. BEFORE deregulation kept prices high, only the rich could fly, and severely limited routes. The legacy carriers had a stranglehold on the routes only a few fought over very little of the leftover routes. I'm seeing us hire 12-15 pilots a week or every two weeks if I'd have to guess on how many interviewees I'm seeing. From talking with ex military pilots it used to cover a whole lot more and pay better. They got lots of hours on tax payer dollars then jumped to airlines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IndyFan
Planes crashed more often, too.

Yeah, but people knew what they were getting into.

Originally Posted by E365
The shortage is real. Pay at many regional airlines has gone up massively in the past 5 years.

The number of US Airline pilots who are age 60+ is very large. Mandatory retirement age is 65, and many will retire before they hit 65.

You can train at an independent FBO for way less than a big school like University of North Dakota, Embry Riddle, etc. With a good job market, one could be hired at a major airline before 30 years old.

You forgot to mention Spartan.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Originally Posted by E365
The shortage is real. Pay at many regional airlines has gone up massively in the past 5 years.

The number of US Airline pilots who are age 60+ is very large. Mandatory retirement age is 65, and many will retire before they hit 65.

You can train at an independent FBO for way less than a big school like University of North Dakota, Embry Riddle, etc. With a good job market, one could be hired at a major airline before 30 years old.

You forgot to mention Spartan.

You could list every school but that would clog the thread.

You must be a Spartan grad? You keep mentioning the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back