Speed Clay or Clay Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I gotta clay my older cars, starting with the TSX.
I hate waxing and anything related.
You guys helped me with the spray wax; I am grateful.

Now it's time for the next step.
Please offer your thoughts.
Thanks in advance.

Any tips are appreciated.

I've used both and I prefer traditional clay.

I'm forcing myself to use my Speed Clay since it is easier, but I'm not sure if it works as good/better than traditional clay. It also needs A LOT of lube on the surface to glide easily.

Originally Posted by RamFan

I'm forcing myself to use my Speed Clay since it is easier, but I'm not sure if it works as good/better than traditional clay. It also needs A LOT of lube on the surface to glide easily.

Thanks... What do you recommend for lubrication? Detail stuff? ST or Mobil1? All good.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Thanks... What do you recommend for lubrication? Detail stuff? ST or Mobil1? All good.

I've been using Meg's Detailer Spray. However, a board member did recommend a mix of water and car soap in a spray bottle. This is something that I anticipate working well and a fraction of the cost, will definitely be giving it a shot when detailing season strikes again.

I have Meguiars clay and the Griot's Garage "synthetic clay" a foam pad with an abrasive surface.

I greatly prefer the real clay.

[Linked Image from autogeekonline.net]

The synthetic clay comes with a spray bottle of detailer to use with the pad. But the end result is a stuttering, sticking, less than effective method that leaves it's own streaks. Streaks that take effort to remove.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
I have Meguiars clay and the Griot's Garage "synthetic clay" a foam pad with an abrasive surface.

I greatly prefer the real clay.

[Linked Image from autogeekonline.net]

The synthetic clay comes with a spray bottle of detailer to use with the pad. But the end result is a stuttering, sticking, less than effective method that leaves it's own streaks. Streaks that take effort to remove.

That grip would encourage the user to bear down on the surface way more is advisable. Also has a a very small contact surface that would require lots more rinsing than the average guy is willing to do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
I prefer speed clay. I typically use it with right in my car wash bucket with soap and water.

I do this also using Mothers Speed clay. No issues and recommend.....

I've used traditional clay for decades and that's all I'll use. I don't see the advantage of the Speed Clay especially when it comes to getting into contours etc that are smaller than the diameter of the device.

I've always used Meguiars detailing clay (the kind you find in the kits at Walmart) but recently they apparently changed the formulation so it is more like Silly Putty so I'm being very stingy with my last bit of the old formula! I might have to try Mother's traditional clay next. I simply break off a small piece and smash it down the size of a silver dollar or so and periodically knead it to expose fresh surfaces until it is spent and then break off another small piece. I can do my car in probably 30 minutes or less. As far as the lubrication, I have used the companion Meguiars detailing spray (burgundy bottle) and have always been pleased. You just have to use enough that the clay doesn't "skid" to a stop at any point and leave "skid marks" of residual clay (which can easily be removed).

I like the Meguiars clay bar kit, they're usually like $20 at Walmart it Meijer. Comes with 2 clay bars, which I rip in half, as well as detailer spray. I tried the Mother's kit and felt the clay was significantly more "sticky" and didn't like it (it felt like it was stuck to my hands for hours afterword), but the detailer spray is basically the same.

As for actually using it, you'll feel when it gets smooth. And if there isn't enough lube you'll DEFINITELY feel it. Once you get a feel for it, it goes real quick. But whatever you do, DO NOT drop the clay!

tried the Mothers Speed clay for the first time this summer on a relatives very neglected, never garaged or washed, daily driver. It was fantastic. I used the soapy wash water as a lube and it went multiple times faster than it would have using traditional clay. There's something to be said for the ability to rinse off the speed clay if you drop it.

Will I use it on my own cars? Not sure, yet.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
I prefer speed clay. I typically use it with right in my car wash bucket with soap and water.

I use my Nanoskin clay mitt this way. Very happy with the results. After using it the first few times (I was a little nervous), I gave away all the clay bars I had.

Originally Posted by carloz
Speed Clay makes claying easy but it doesn't fit in tighter areas.

I can verify both of these. I'm no hobbyist detailer so maybe the regular clay bar does remove more than the speed clay, but I love the ergonomics and how fast the speed clay gets the job done. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference though so it's good enough for me.

I have a Nanoskin pad and Pinnacle Poly Clay. If I was doing a Suburban or something I'd prefer the Nanoskin pad otherwise I reverted back to the regular clay for most cars. My go-to lube is a bucket of fresh wash water.

How about the clay block from Chemical guys? I bought one in late '18 and have been using it on my cars since. It certainly is easier than dealing with small pieces of blue clay.

Originally Posted by gizzsdad

I use my Nanoskin clay mitt this way. Very happy with the results. After using it the first few times (I was a little nervous), I gave away all the clay bars I had.

I've used a cheap nanoskin knockoff. I kept putting a plastic bag on my hand to do the plastic bag test since I was surprised at how well it worked. The non-nano'd paint already looked and felt very good but with the plastic bag felt like sandpaper. After, felt like glass.

Clay probably cleans a little better, but the nano is already impressive, is easier to use, and you don't have to throw it away every time you drop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back