This is for the thickies out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
How long does the truck take to accumulate 750 miles?
$23 for a five quart jug of Castrol 0w40 - used for top-offs, could last you six months. I wouldn't get rid of the Mazda because of that.

Why the H E double hockey sticks would you use a $23 dollar oil in lieu of a $14 dollar off the shelf 10w40 like ST for topping off??? The 10w is only going to be problematic on the coldest of cold days. I'd check the pcv for s & g's just to say you did and keep driving it topped off until the wheels fall off. 1qt in 750 miles is the cars way of telling you it's better days are behind it and no mechanic in a can is gonna be able to undo that kind of damage/wear and tear... it's all down hill from here, just top it off and enjoy the (rest of) the ride.

Fwiw, I have a mid 90's oil burning Ranger that has a drinking problem. I bought it used and I've tried HiMi oils, Restore w/CSL, engine flushes blah blah blah.. nothing helps. The valve seals are shot, possibly even the rings and I ain't putting anymore money into it beyond using a thick oil. It's just a truck for running chores now..

My 1990 Ford Ranger 2.9 V6 just started using a lot of oil. Noticed a trail in a parking lot and it was the oil pressure sender that had a leaking seal on the top part. Would only really leak while driving. Just took $12.77 to fix my oil usage problem.

Is it a 4wd? auto/ ac ? How is the frame? wanna sell it? The '94 Mazda B4000/ranger was the best Yr/ engine combo. for these right sized little trucks. I have a totally shot example, but the 4.0 OHV runs great. Runs sweet on STP 5W30 dino.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
As has been mentioned, replace the PCV and see if that helps.

Going to a thicker oil may slow it down, but could also make it worse. If it's getting past the rings, a thicker oil film could actually increase transport past the rings.

PCV first. Not likely but possible fix. Cheap to do.

Do smell oil when you get out after those long drives?

RDY4WAR makes an excellent point about thicker oil could, could, could increase oil consumption. But it may be worth a try.

Please check for leaks and pick one oil brand and try and stay with it for awhile.

Personally, I have never experienced oil consumption decrease when using a heavier weight oil. Changing oil brands made a difference but I have
never had a vehicle using a qt in 750 miles.

I had a PCV valve hose pinch on one of those engines once, just kind of collapsed on itself and caused all sorts of oil loss because the pcv couldn't function.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Here's for the true thickies. Spotted at autozone near work last night

[Linked Image]

That's a huge difference in price from 20/50 to 10/40 !🤔

Originally Posted by kstanf150

[Linked Image]

That's a huge difference in price from 20/50 to 10/40 !🤔

And the 20w50 rang up $1
wink.gif

[Linked Image]

That 20w50 is normal for anyone between the tropic of Cancer and Capricorn....

And the 20w50 rang up $1
wink.gif

For a buck, I'd buy several and find a way to use it....

Last edited:
Just ordered a new pcv valve, also have a 5qt jug of supertech 10w40 high milage to try after to see if any of that helps.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
So you went to the dealer and asked for a 5w30 oil cap? Are they universal size? If so, what year & model does this belong to?

No, I looked up my replacement oil cap on rock auto, researched alternate part numbers and found an alternate fit part number YS4Z6766A. $10 shipped from an ebay seller. It is a fomoco cap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back