Quick Mac mini Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bunnspecial
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

I just e-recycled about 100 PC's LOL. I may pick up an older SGI workstation (I loved IRIX) and/or maybe a DEC Alpha workstation if I can find one. First one of those I used in the early 90's had a huge greyscale Trinitron screen (like 24"?) and I recall using Mosaic to look at other EDU sites and information from NASA, which was pretty much all the "internet" consisted of at that time.

Sounds like you have a pretty nice vintage PC collection in addition to your Mac stuff!
thumbsup2.gif

I'm familiar with, but only have limited experience with, the video card modding, having flashed the Mac ROM on a reference GTX 680 for my Mac Pro. I have the old Radeon 5770 here still, figuring I might fetch a few bucks for it on E-bay. I do have a pretty decent collection of DI-specific cards though
lol.gif
A lot of them are like the old Voodoo cards, requiring another card that supports VESA for the primary display.

I do enjoy my old PCs, even though Macs are my focus.

I've been trying to build up a little representative RISC collection, and have been able to snag a lot through work. I've managed to get a couple of SGIs-an Iris Indigo that I need to find a mouse for then fit a hard drive an an OS-plus a dead O2 and a nice, fully functional Octane. The SGIs were beasts in their day, and you have to love how great/quirky their design is. I unfortunately junked one dim and off color SGI-branded Trinitron, but do have a 21"(VGA and 13W3 in) that goes with the Octane. The guy who gave the the Iris Indigo HAD a 24" widescreen Trinitron at one time, but it's long gone.

Back earlier this year, I grabbed a Sun UltraSparc 5, which is a nice little computer even though I've not done a ton with it.

I have a bunch of DECs, as I mentioned, but they're all IBM compatible. I don't know of any Alphas around work, and they still bring eye-popping prices on Ebay just to have one to satisfy my curiosity.

This guy is taking offers on this Octane system, what do you think would constitute reasonable, given your experience in procuring these?
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-desktop-com...x-unix-workstation-make-offer/1254322097

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

This guy is taking offers on this Octane system, what do you think would constitute reasonable, given your experience in procuring these?
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-desktop-com...x-unix-workstation-make-offer/1254322097

To be honest, I'm a BIT out of touch on prices for them, especially as I didn't actually buy mine and it's been a few years since I researched prices. I also have next to no experience with the Octane2(I know the O2 and Octane, but not the Octane2).

The good about the one you linked-the SMP models are always more desirable than the singles. Never mind that for just an example from the company, you're fine with a single-the dual still is desirable.

Also, it almost looks like a stock photo, but I'd check on the display. A 13W3 SGI LCD is certainly going to be valuable and desirable as a collectible. I've never personally seen one, but with that said I've owned other LCDs from that era(including a handful of Apple brand ones) and most of them are pretty bad. They tend to be dim, have a narrow viewing angle, and fairly muted colors. I'd expect anything SGI put their name on to be good, but at the same time LCDs just weren't there yet in the early 2000s and I'd personally be a lot happier with one of their lovely 21" Trinitrons.

768mb of RAM is probably more than fine for anything you'd do with it, but at the same time it's a fraction of what the computer can hold, and I'd like a bit more for an example for my collection. You can basically forget upgrading it now-buy a computer with as much RAM as you want. I lucked into some VERY inexpensively for my Octane, but I watched Ebay for a few years before I even saw any for sale.

Also, the seller mentions that the OS will need to be installed. Unlike the O2, the Octane/Octane2 don't have any built in drives. IIRC, the SCSI port on the back is 68 pin LVDS. An optical drive that plays nicely with them isn't the easiest to find. A tape drive might be easier, although I've only ever seen 6.5.3 on CD. You can net install it, and there's a really good SGI forum out there somewhere on the internet that will help you with that.

If it were in front of me and I really wanted it, I might shoot $500 at it. My personal price in my situation(I prefer the Octane aesthetics, but the Octane2 is a better computer and that particular one is really nice) is that I might give it a $200 punt and see if they'd take it, although that's probably way too cheap.

Windows irks me because they expect you pay for upgrades of versions. Mac and Ubuntu nope.

I just run the license keys of discarded Windows computers to avoid the nags.

I run all three and not a fan of one or other really. The iPhone and Mac integration is good however and hardware feel, display and size wonderful for my IT job using a MBP 2017 13".

Well, Im liking the Apple iOS world !

Awesome, continuing on my clean break from EVERYTHING (and I mean everything) google and much of Microsoft.
I know many can not afford OR want to spend to do what I am doing, they could, if they wanted too, do much of the same stuff using the free versions of products that are out there.
Password managers, email protonmail all have free versions ect.

Anyway, set up my iPhone XR that wife got me for Christmas, wow, love how effortlessly it integrated with my Mac mini desktop.
Imported all my contacts from my android Huawei phone in a matter of seconds to the Mac and iPhone. Just love it!

I actually know people in the industry and the vast profits involved of packaging and selling your information, literally put up for bid.
For me, its a personal crusade stopping as much as I can from internet companies selling MY private information for profits. I rather pay out of my wallet then be the prostitute.

I got to admit, this is fun for me, been computing a long time and has given me a new "purpose" of adventure stopping this privacy invading spiral the people in the USA have accepted as a norm. One place in the world we are NOT advanced and that is privacy protections like in Europe. First major step, no more google!

Last edited:
I understand wanting privacy, but for me Google has made my life so much easier, I really don't care that they're selling my useless information. The fact that I can look something up on Google in a couple of seconds (which I could never do years ago), I use Google keep as my notepad at work and everything I ever jotted down is safely stored there... I destroyed my phone in the ocean on vacation... All my contacts and important information are safe and it didn't cost me any $ to have it safe. I get another phone, sign into my Google account and I can have everything back in no time.

So you have to realize that not everyone is so worried about some strangers knowing that I browse bobistheoilguy.com almost every day, browse Kijiji for used cars (but never buy any), browse Amazon and eBay, go on Facebook a couple of times a week. Sure, someone has that information about me, but they don't know me, and I don't care that they have it. It doesn't negatively affect my life in one bit.

Nobody is forcing us to use Google, but I'm really glad to have it and most people I know are the same.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
I understand wanting privacy, but for me Google has made my life so much easier, I really don't care that they're selling my useless information. The fact that I can look something up on Google in a couple of seconds (which I could never do years ago), I use Google keep as my notepad at work and everything I ever jotted down is safely stored there... I destroyed my phone in the ocean on vacation... All my contacts and important information are safe and it didn't cost me any $ to have it safe. I get another phone, sign into my Google account and I can have everything back in no time.

So you have to realize that not everyone is so worried about some strangers knowing that I browse bobistheoilguy.com almost every day, browse Kijiji for used cars (but never buy any), browse Amazon and eBay, go on Facebook a couple of times a week. Sure, someone has that information about me, but they don't know me, and I don't care that they have it. It doesn't negatively affect my life in one bit.

Nobody is forcing us to use Google, but I'm really glad to have it and most people I know are the same.

Yes, glad it works for you. I never said everyone is worried about anything. Im certainly not and dont know why anyone is.

I simply deny companies giving up my privacy to corporations no less, by turning down their "free" stuff.

Little does the common people know, these corporations have people buying stuff/there products for reason the public dont know why they are buying it. *L* its an amazing science and that is fact, not fiction. They can get into your mind so deep, that they can make you like one color over another and/or some day, decide who to vote for. Its right there, from one of the richest most successful business people in technology. Tim Cook.
Maybe that is my own beef, people think stuff is free.
Dont get me wrong, this is "rogue" stuff I am talking about but it does exist and if people think its going to get better without privacy laws they are ignorant.

Its seems like when I say that, some people get their feathers ruffled and take offense. But its just fact and I honestly dont care what other people do or use including my wife and she knows it.
beer3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
One doesn't have any privacy with Apple either. They are still collecting all the data, same as google, they just don't sell it to third parties now.
That can change on a whim.

Anything can change on a whim, heck but lets stick to facts, an astroid can hit the earth tomorrow too but as of today, an astroid hasn't hit the earth and Apple isnt selling information in exchange for a "free" operating system.

Once again, I'm not trying to say that you made a bad choice buying Apple, but this video is from a professional repair guy and his experiences with Apple and their repair. If I was going to spend all the extra money to have a Macbook, I would want to be able to trust the company. I don't trust Apple one bit when it comes to repairs. You can criticize this video, but he's not the only one with this experience. Since this thread has become a discussion about how much better Apple is compared to other brands I feel this kind of discussion is acceptable.

Watch the whole video before making a comment if you are going to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZiSxPvuPLc

^^^ There is a video for every product on planet earth ^^^ Look up any product you own ^^ you will always find a video both for and against.
Means nothing, people on YouTube are entertainers and most are honestly giving their impressions of something, big deal, they are on YouTube *LOL* ... dont have to be a rocket scientist for that.

Its good for reviews but its not factual to back up statements, so, for that reason, I will not watch your link because if I watched that, then I would have to watch videos on EVERY Windows computer that I might have purchased instead. Doesnt make sense to do that, since, once again, there is no credibility to anyone on YouTube.

I am pretty sure, the vast amount of people who chimed in here and other forums have more positive reviews then those of Windows computers.
Actually its indisputable. Oh heck, if you want something a little more scientific check Consumer Reports.

Also, back to basics, if you want privacy and believe in your right to privacy, your not going to find it on anything but Apple products.
(and duckduckgo)
and ... once again, since I actually completely switched to Apples platform including now an iPhone I am actually a better review source for non apple users then a person on YouTube, as I actually use and are now married to the system after 2 plus decades of Windows and later on, Android systems which makes me the expert if I produced YouTube videos.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
^^^ There is a video for every product on planet earth ^^^ Look up any product you own ^^ you will always find a video both for and against.
Means nothing, people on YouTube are entertainers and most are honestly giving their impressions of something, big deal, they are on YouTube *LOL* ... dont have to be a rocket scientist for that.

Its good for reviews but its not factual to back up statements, so, for that reason, I will not watch your link because if I watched that, then I would have to watch videos on EVERY Windows computer that I might have purchased instead. Doesnt make sense to do that, since, once again, there is no credibility to anyone on YouTube.

I am pretty sure, the vast amount of people who chimed in here and other forums have more positive reviews then those of Windows computers.
Actually its indisputable. Oh heck, if you want something a little more scientific check Consumer Reports.

Also, back to basics, if you want privacy and believe in your right to privacy, your not going to find it on anything but Apple products.
(and duckduckgo)
and ... once again, since I actually completely switched to Apples platform including now an iPhone I am actually a better review source for non apple users then a person on YouTube, as I actually use and are now married to the system after 2 plus decades of Windows and later on, Android systems which makes me the expert if I produced YouTube videos.

I only posted that video because he's been on the news about this subject and also another nother YouTuber with 3 million subscribers. I posted this because it is the truth.

Google has a vested interest to NOT sell your information. They sell advertisements paid for by companys directed to you based on the information they have about you. If the advertisers could get the information Google has about you, they would not need Google. So, yes Google collects a lot of information but they don't sell it.
In short, Google is rich because they sell advertisements, not personal information.
If you believe they are selling personal information, please find me ONE instance of that. One verifiable case of Google selling anyone's personal information.

Originally Posted by terry274
Google has a vested interest to NOT sell your information. They sell advertisements paid for by companys directed to you based on the information they have about you. If the advertisers could get the information Google has about you, they would not need Google. So, yes Google collects a lot of information but they don't sell it.
In short, Google is rich because they sell advertisements, not personal information.
If you believe they are selling personal information, please find me ONE instance of that. One verifiable case of Google selling anyone's personal information.

I think it might be a semantic misuse of "your information" for most people... Those that have issue with Google et al's business model might be more accurate in saying "they use your personal information to generate revenue"; which, if you're trying to paint that model in a negative light, doesn't sound nearly as scary as "they sell your information".

Unfortunately, that does likely lead a lot of people to come under the mistaken impression that these companies are literally selling information about you.

(and duckduckgo)

I only posted that video because he's been on the news about this subject and also another nother YouTuber with 3 million subscribers. I posted this because it is the truth.

I watched the video.

I had Lenovo send me a new (free) keyboard for my T420 when it was long out of warranty. They are good that way. The T-series are also extremely easy to service, unlike a Mac. That said, I still replaced my T-series with a Mac, which I've never needed to open the cover on and still has fantastic battery life long after the battery on my T-series pooped the bed. The Mac has a better screen to boot. No, it probably wouldn't survive me spilling a beer on it however.

Guy from worked dropped me off his daughter's 2012 MBP (13.3") yesterday because it was "slow". Unit was still running El Capitan. I dropped a Kingston UV500 480GB SSD in it (SATA) and installed a fresh copy of Catalina and the unit flies. I did the same for his other daughter last year, though it got Mojave. Both units still have their original batteries and only have 4GB of RAM, but are more than adequate for what they are used for, despite being 8 years old. They are computers that "just work" and there's significant value in that. I'm not getting them back to clean malware off them or Driver Optimizer/Registry Doctor/Memory Maximizer nonsense every six months either.

You way over simplify, and that is ok. Like I said, if you dont care about google knowing all about you, beyond the fact of the data they collect from your email messages and what you search for, more like how your mind works, EVEN WHERE ON YOUR COMPUTER SCREEN WHERE YOU MOVE YOUR MOUSE, accumulating information of your children, family in return for free use of their stuff, hey that is fine. Maybe, maybe the word selling is over stated, Ill look more into that but I suspect you are correct in that they do not actually sell it, they use it and they do share it with other companies to process it.

Maybe more like UC50 states might be more accurate then the word sell, I think you maybe right on the word sell.
I would challenge anyone to actually read their privacy statement, its pretty darn creepy to me but again, to each his own.

Google Statements =
--"For example, we collect information about views and interactions with ads so we can provide aggregated reports to advertisers, like telling them whether we served their ad on a page and whether the ad was likely seen by a viewer. We may also measure other interactions, such as how you move your mouse over an ad or if you interact with the page on which the ad appears."

--"If you use our services to make and receive calls or send and receive messages, we may collect telephony log information like your phone number, calling-party number, receiving-party number, forwarding numbers, time and date of calls and messages, duration of calls, routing information, and types of calls."

--"We may also collect information about you from trusted partners, including marketing partners who provide us with information about potential customers of our business services, and security partners who provide us with information to protect against abuse. We also receive information from advertisers to provide advertising and research services on their behalf.

--"We use various technologies to collect and store information, including cookies, pixel tags, local storage, such as browser web storage or application data caches, databases, and server logs."

-- "We provide personal information to our affiliates and other trusted businesses or persons to process it for us, based on our instructions and in compliance with our Privacy Policy and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures. For example, we use service providers to help us with customer support."

--We restrict access to personal information to Google employees, contractors, and agents who need that information in order to process it. Anyone with this access is subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations."

--"This Privacy Policy doesn't apply to:

The information practices of other companies and organizations that advertise our services
Services offered by other companies or individuals, including products or sites that may include Google services, be displayed to you in search results, or be linked from our services"

____________ Anyway, I think you are right and I am wrong, google does not "sell" your information, they use it. ___________
However if you read this disclosure one would wonder how much Swiss cheese is in all the data that they have on you...
Its all good, I for one, do not think that google is the god almighty of transparency in as much as any corporation. If one is comfortable this all of the behind the scenes data sharing and analyzing on your family, its your choice.

One thing for sure, the typical American has no idea what is going on, they dont read disclosures and the "system" is full of holes.
Its why the EU has far more strict controls.

I dont know of many who read this stuff, ...

https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en-US#infocollect

Last edited:

You way over simplify, and that is ok. Like I said, if you dont care about google knowing all about you, beyond the fact of the data they collect from your email messages and what you search for, more like how your mind works, EVEN WHERE ON YOUR COMPUTER SCREEN WHERE YOU MOVE YOUR MOUSE, accumulating information of your children, family in return for free use of their stuff, hey that is fine. Maybe, maybe the word selling is over stated, Ill look more into that but I suspect you are correct in that they do not actually sell it, they use it and they do share it with other companies to process it.

Maybe more like UC50 states might be more accurate then the word sell, I think you maybe right on the word sell.
I would challenge anyone to actually read their privacy statement, its pretty darn creepy to me but again, to each his own.

Google Statements =
--"For example, we collect information about views and interactions with ads so we can provide aggregated reports to advertisers, like telling them whether we served their ad on a page and whether the ad was likely seen by a viewer. We may also measure other interactions, such as how you move your mouse over an ad or if you interact with the page on which the ad appears."

--"If you use our services to make and receive calls or send and receive messages, we may collect telephony log information like your phone number, calling-party number, receiving-party number, forwarding numbers, time and date of calls and messages, duration of calls, routing information, and types of calls."

--"We may also collect information about you from trusted partners, including marketing partners who provide us with information about potential customers of our business services, and security partners who provide us with information to protect against abuse. We also receive information from advertisers to provide advertising and research services on their behalf.

--"We use various technologies to collect and store information, including cookies, pixel tags, local storage, such as browser web storage or application data caches, databases, and server logs."

-- "We provide personal information to our affiliates and other trusted businesses or persons to process it for us, based on our instructions and in compliance with our Privacy Policy and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures. For example, we use service providers to help us with customer support."

--We restrict access to personal information to Google employees, contractors, and agents who need that information in order to process it. Anyone with this access is subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations."

The information practices of other companies and organizations that advertise our services
Services offered by other companies or individuals, including products or sites that may include Google services, be displayed to you in search results, or be linked from our services"

____________ Anyway, I think you are right and I am wrong, google does not "sell" your information, they use it. ___________
However if you read this disclosure one would wonder how much Swiss cheese is in all the data that they have on you...
Its all good, I for one, do not think that google is the god almighty of transparency in as much as any corporation. If one is comfortable this all of the behind the scenes data sharing and analyzing on your family, its your choice.

One thing for sure, the typical American has no idea what is going on, they dont read disclosures and the "system" is full of holes.

I honestly don't think any corporation is that trustworthy (apple included - mainly because of their war on "right to repair"). I can understand not liking the way Google's privacy policy reads, however to me all it means is that they're going to send targeted ads toward me. Sometimes it's helpful, sometimes not. Often times it just shows me ads for something I already bought, so I don't think they're paying that close attention. I also enrolled in Google opinion rewards, which they randomly send me surveys asking dumb questions (1-2 of them), I can answer in ten seconds and make $0.25 or so towards app or movie purchases etc... They ask me multiple choice questions about where I've visited recently, then if I paid by debit or other means.... I'm not sure how they don't already know the answer to that because I had my location turned on (if I don't I won't get the surveys). If I really want to be discreet I can always turn off the location with one click in my quick settings and I only need to turn it back on to use Google maps.

So I guess my next question is... If I was as privacy conscious as you why can't I just leave location off, browse in incognito mode, pause my history in YouTube, etc. Which I can do on my Android phone and my PC's?

Edit: What do you use for email for more privacy? I see that they can collect my emails through Gmail. I switched to Gmail from Hotmail like 15 years ago because I was getting so much spam on Hotmail. This is my only active email account now, the way I'm reading my privacy policy is that this is the only thing I can't control their access to (unlike my browsing history, location etc.)

Last edited:

Google Statements =

I honestly don't think any corporation is that trustworthy (apple included - mainly because of their war on "right to repair"). I can understand not liking the way Google's privacy policy reads, however to me all it means is that they're going to send targeted ads toward me. Sometimes it's helpful, sometimes not. Often times it just shows me ads for something I already bought, so I don't think they're paying that close attention. I also enrolled in Google opinion rewards, which they randomly send me surveys asking dumb questions (1-2 of them), I can answer in ten seconds and make $0.25 or so towards app or movie purchases etc... They ask me multiple choice questions about where I've visited recently, then if I paid by debit or other means.... I'm not sure how they don't already know the answer to that because I had my location turned on (if I don't I won't get the surveys). If I really want to be discreet I can always turn off the location with one click in my quick settings and I only need to turn it back on to use Google maps.

So I guess my next question is... If I was as privacy conscious as you why can't I just leave location off, browse in incognito mode, pause my history in YouTube, etc. Which I can do on my Android phone and my PC's?

Edit: What do you use for email for more privacy? I see that they can collect my emails through Gmail. I switched to Gmail from Hotmail like 15 years ago because I was getting so much spam on Hotmail. This is my only active email account now, the way I'm reading my privacy policy is that this is the only thing I can't control their access to (unlike my browsing history, location etc.)

_____Actually you can do the things you mention regarding securing your privacy, lets face it, over 75% of the US population doesnt/has no clue.
I have not researched nor care too regarding googles incognito mode or any of their products but without question you can limit some of it and its a start.
I use Microsoft "hotmail" too. Gosh I have so many "live" accounts and one "outlook" ... never would I be ok to google scanning my emails picking up "keywords" to sell me products.

With that said, as you might have guessed I have been transitioning to private email. Its REALLY simple to have COMPLETELY private encrypted email, www.protonmail.com (even recommended by Consumer Reports) though I have used them for years. Keep in mind, being its private, they do not scan your emails for information, they do not place ads in their program so the only way they make money is to charge for their service, however, they do have a free package if you do not need much storage, I use one free one and I pay for one.

IN addition to that, if you want a completely free package another option is Apples email system, free to anyone, with a bit more free storage. No ads on Apples system www.icloud.com

AS far as search engine 75+ percent of the time I am now using www.duckduckgo.com I will still use google from time to time but I check duckduckgo ALWAYS first. Completely private search engine.

Its gotten so bad even consumer reports reports on the privacy issue. BTW duckduckgo is also recommended by them.

So even though I do not know everything, I do know, google is evil and I do know protonmail is private and I do know duckduckgo is private and have used them much before Consumer Reports even came out with the report on them. (it was cool to for me to see them)

BTW ... for whatever its worth, its really cool to have a civil conversation about this. I dont have all the answers and not an expert but I do know I have the power to limit all this intelligence gathering on US citizens by corporations like google and that is EXACTLY what it is, "intelligence gathering"

I just posted this link in another thread, people will look at this (the ones that actually read it through and watch the video) and find a reason to discount the words from the CEO of one of the most successful technology firms in the world who is warning about this intelligence gathering on you, the USA citizen and citizens of the world...
Not everyone in this world is evil and some companies believe in the "right to privacy" it amazes me how the young and some old no longer care.

Here it is, straight from the horses mouth and yet, some people will dismiss it, even though, its already taking place.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/24/18017842/tim-cook-data-privacy-laws-us-speech-brussels

_____

Last edited:
I will definitely look into using one of those email provider's as a second account, for when I want more privacy (can't hurt to have it for sure). However, I disagree about Google being anymore evil than apple. If apple has their way, you could never repair any product they sell you. You just have to buy a new one. (you didn't watch the video I shared about this and there are many more on the subject).

Today Google gave me one more reason not to dislike them... Not proud of it but I wasn't watching my budget closely enough and I had added YouTube premium to my account (no ads and you can download videos and play them in the background etc) and found out Google play music is included I this. So I was paying twice for a year.

A couple of clicks in my YouTube app and Google called me back.. had someone on the line within a minute. Within fifteen minutes I had $237 refunded to my credit card since I paid for 2 subscriptions for a year. They were actually very good about it. This isn't the first time I've called their customer support and it's always been faster and easier than calling absolutely any other company. If I knew how easy it would be, I'd have done it sooner.

Its all good, we all do what is good for us. I noticed a few times you state Apple is evil because makes it impossible for you to repair, for me I could care less, for me, the reason for Apple is the flawless performance, integration, security and privacy.

Im not going to second guess their manufacturing process for the few that might do their own repairs. Eliminating patch cords, plugs and replacing with solder is not a bad thing for reliability.

I haven't had to repair a computer in 25 years so if this apple ever breaks Ill send it in to be repaired.
Again, I stress, not debating you, we all do what works for us.

Last edited:
Its all good, we all do what is good for us. I noticed a few times you state Apple is evil because makes it impossible for you to repair, for me I could care less, for me, the reason for Apple is the flawless performance, integration, security and privacy.

Im not going to second guess their manufacturing process for the few that might do their own repairs. Eliminating patch cords, plugs and replacing with solder is not a bad thing for reliability.

I haven't had to repair a computer in 25 years so if this apple ever breaks Ill send it in to be repaired.
Again, I stress, not debating you, we all do what works for us.

It's not just that they make things a bit harder than other companies to repair, it's that the company itself is actively trying to fight the right to repair. I understand you're not interested in researching that anymore than I want to read every bit of Google's privacy policy (in my defense I did read some of it).

For me it's more important to have something that I can repair and keep for a long time. (hence the old Thinkpad, the OnePlus 5 (one of the more repairable Android phones) and 36 year old cars. I've repaired a number of phones over the years (including Apple) and I refuse to give money to a company that wants to stop all of us from being able to do that, or even being able to go to an independent repair shop. Can you imagine if any car manufacturer refused to sell parts to any independent garage? That's Apple for you.

The best thing going for apple is the long term software support (at least on phones and iPads - not computers (Microsoft supports longer), but they counteract that by selling failure prone hardware and discouraging from being able to repair them in the long run.

Apple wants you to pay big bucks for apple care and then when it breaks they will just send you a refurbished one (I've been through this in the past and that was before they started making them to be nearly unrepairable - since the iPhone 8 and x models).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back