Possible counterfeit Hyunda filters. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the owner of two Kias that use this filter this is great info. I checked mine and they are the real thing also. You Sir are awesome!

Originally Posted by tnwhodees
As the owner of two Kias that use this filter this is great info. I checked mine and they are the real thing also. You Sir are awesome!

Thanks for the compliment! Did you have one of the MOBIS filters, or the Mann-Hummel? Did you cut it open? If not, was the Hyundai "H" on the external gasket? Did you notice anything different from my observations? What was the part number on your filter? Thanks! --Rob

Originally Posted by Loobit
OEM Kia/Hyundai spin on filters say Mann+Hummel Korea.

You'd think, right? But apparently MOBIS also supplies Kia / Hyundai, based on my observations.

I just ordered one from Amazon. It was about 7.50 for a single filter. It arrived today with the Mobis sticker on the bottom. The last two I ordered were the Mann Hummel style. Hopefully I got a legit filter. Is it possible Hyundai is changing suppliers for the US market?

* Look for the Hyundai "H" in oval stamp down the hole of the oil filter stamped in the metal - fake Hyundai oil filters will not have this "H" oval stamp in the metal down the hole .

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
* Look for the Hyundai "H" in oval stamp down the hole of the oil filter stamped in the metal - fake Hyundai oil filters will not have this "H" oval stamp in the metal down the hole .

Wonder if the Kia filters will have a 'K' down in the hole?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by ChrisD46

Wonder if the Kia filters will have a 'K' down in the hole?

If you turn it sideways...

AE4652AE-3A29-46D3-9EEB-20A4B68BB952.png

Originally Posted by FFeng7
I just ordered one from Amazon. It was about 7.50 for a single filter. It arrived today with the Mobis sticker on the bottom. The last two I ordered were the Mann Hummel style. Hopefully I got a legit filter. Is it possible Hyundai is changing suppliers for the US market?

If you ordered from the link I posted above, the filters were probably intended for the Korean market (Korean language on boxes). You can look at the exterior filter gasket with a magnifying glass and look for the stylized Hyundai "H" that should be molded into the gasket to authenticate the filter.

Originally Posted by Robster
Originally Posted by FFeng7

If you ordered from the link I posted above, the filters were probably intended for the Korean market (Korean language on boxes). You can look at the exterior filter gasket with a magnifying glass and look for the stylized Hyundai "H" that should be molded into the gasket to authenticate the filter.

I got the filter from a different seller on Amazon than yours. However the box does have Korean and English on it. After looking at the pictures in the post and comparing my filter it looks the same. It even has the tiny H on the gasket.

now that i have 2 hyundais i have come to the conclusion i will jsut buy them at the dealer. mine is $8.25 with a reciept. i don't want them to come back and tell me " mr why me we can warranty your engine because you used a counterfeit filter" .and be screwed.

once out of warranty i will just use whatever works

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WhyMe
now that i have 2 hyundais i have come to the conclusion i will jsut buy them at the dealer. mine is $8.25 with a reciept. i don't want them to come back and tell me " mr why me we can warranty your engine because you used a counterfeit filter" .and be screwed.

once out of warranty i will just use whatever works

To be fair, I doubt that most dealer mechanics or the OEM itself would care much about the oil filter in an engine warranty claim, as long as it was present at the time of the failure and had decent oil inside it. As long as it looks functional, that's all that would matter IMHO. Mechanics are unlikely to dissect the filter (to the point that I did above) and examine it for authenticity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back