OE Caliper carrier bolt doesn't fit on reman

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys ever see where they didn't tap it correctly in reman land? Or didn't tap it at all and the bracket bolt is a different size entirely?

The left caliper went on beautifully and had no issues with the old OE bolts.

I cleaned and lubed everything.. no go. too small.

I'm wondering if I heat up the threads if it will expand enough for me to catch a thread. But I don't want to cross thread it and then have them not take it back. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Is it a coated caliper?
Sometimes the coating will cover the 1st thread and you can't get the bolt started.
Run a tap down the threads and try again.

Can you start the bolt through the back side? It might ram through whatever's in the way.

If reusing old bolts proper for caliper brackets? I was under the impression these should be new bolts always. As such, could the bolts be at fault from stretch?

This is the exact reason why I never use the supplied brackets.

I have seen this issue before. Plus pad clearance issues because the last guy ground the bracket too much to remove rust.

Reuse your old brackets.

Originally Posted by The Critic

I have seen this issue before. Plus pad clearance issues because the last guy ground the bracket too much to remove rust.

Reuse your old brackets.

Amen to that brother. That's exactly what I ended up doing.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have left the brackets in place as the metal itself was fine.

I also re-used the pins and bushings. The pins from reman land were a cheaper grade steel and the boots were adequate, but inferior to the 16 year old OE boots.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by lairdwd
Originally Posted by The Critic

Reuse your old brackets.

Amen to that brother. That's exactly what I ended up doing.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have left the brackets in place as the metal itself was fine.

I also re-used the pins and bushings. The pins from reman land were a cheaper grade steel and the boots were adequate, but inferior to the 16 year old OE boots.

Just got my core refund. Rockauto didn't seem to care that I gave back some parts from re-man land.

Pistons are holding up well for now, and the ebrake is like a hot knife through butter compared to the siezed one.

I'll give reman land some credit. The piston work looked solid - even on the entry level cardone I bought. These things did have QA stickers all over them. However, the diameter problem on the bracket was a huge f*** up. Plus the grade of the metal is decent, but not OE grade. Same for the boots and slider pins.

Thanks for making me think through this job. Between this and the brake line work, I feel I have graduated to 2 wrenches now.

banana2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back