93 Buick Roadmaster 350 (5.7L) V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 93 Buick Roadmaster that is our daily driver. It has about 92K miles on it, and I've been using Pennzoil HM 5w30 with a Napa Gold filter and 3000-3500 mile OCIs. Is this a good choice, or being that this is an older engine is there a better option? I've considered going with a synthetic, but I've heard that it's not a good idea to switch an older engine as gaskets and seals may start leaking.

It sounds like you're doing a good job keeping that classic on the road.
In your location, I would be more worried about batttling rust than anything else.

If you're planning on putting a lot of miles on it, it wouldn't be a bad idea considering the price difference isn't much when on sale. I switched my 83 305 V8 to synthetic at 160k miles, now its close to 240k miles. It might see 300k miles before I swap it to a newer 5.3 truck engine, or retire it. It will take you a long time to get to that many miles though. Yours is also a roller cam engine so it's less fussy about oil than my flat tappet cam.

I'd just stick with the HM. It's going to be a syn blend anyways, and it's been working so far. That, and 3,500 mile OCI? You're pampering the thing. Congrats on keeping the old girl on the road, I'd love to have a Roadmaster (sedan or wagon, preferably a wagon) some day. I've always loved B-body's.

The Pennzoil HM 5W-30 is s solid choice.
You can go 2, 3 or 4 oil changes per filter change since you change the oil so often.

The engine is solid design and VERY reliable and long lasting.
Don't be afraid to maintain the transmission - as long as you aren't towing anything it should last OK.

Just did a fluid and filter change on the trans, hope i can get at least another 50k miles out of it if I go easy on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back