This is the exact reason why I never use the supplied brackets.
I have seen this issue before. Plus pad clearance issues because the last guy ground the bracket too much to remove rust.
Reuse your old brackets.
Amen to that brother. That's exactly what I ended up doing.
If I had to do it all over again, I would have left the brackets in place as the metal itself was fine.
I also re-used the pins and bushings. The pins from reman land were a cheaper grade steel and the boots were adequate, but inferior to the 16 year old OE boots.
Just got my core refund. Rockauto didn't seem to care that I gave back some parts from re-man land.
Pistons are holding up well for now, and the ebrake is like a hot knife through butter compared to the siezed one.
I'll give reman land some credit. The piston work looked solid - even on the entry level cardone I bought. These things did have QA stickers all over them. However, the diameter problem on the bracket was a huge f*** up. Plus the grade of the metal is decent, but not OE grade. Same for the boots and slider pins.
Thanks for making me think through this job. Between this and the brake line work, I feel I have graduated to 2 wrenches now.