What is the Optimum length for a breaker bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
18" is abit short.....about 2ft is pretty good you can always throw on a cheater pipe if you need a longer one.

I've had great success on impossible lug nuts using the handle off of my aluminum floor jack that just slips over my Gorilla lug nut breaker bar, which btw is the best breaker bar ever for lug nuts. Perfective angle for lug nuts. Beyond that, the best thing is a torque multiplier. I recently bought a like new one off of eb for like $350. I don't even need it yet, but how cool would that be for working on a tight pinion nut underneath a car. It was $1200 new, made by Wright tool a us company, and it has a 6:1 ratio, that can develop 1200 foot pounds of torque with 200 on the input, and it's only 18 inches long. Plus it has a degree dial, and a torque conversion chart on it.

IMG_5678.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by supton
Maximum length is when the other end runs into the garage wall or a wheel or some other obstruction.

lol.gif
I once had to torque some... a lot... of nuts to 1,800lb ft, we had a 9ft torque wrench that went to 2,000ft lbs. Someone smarter than me want to calculate the force we had to put into the bar to accomplish that?

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Maximum length is when the other end runs into the garage wall or a wheel or some other obstruction.

lol.gif
I once had to torque some... a lot... of nuts to 1,800lb ft, we had a 9ft torque wrench that went to 2,000ft lbs. Someone smarter than me want to calculate the force we had to put into the bar to accomplish that?

1800 divided by 9 is 200 pounds applied force. That's, uh, like me standing on the bar.

That's some impressive torque. I'm guessing they were not run of the mill hardware store stuff. I'm also guessing that removal after a few years out in the elements must be something else!

lol.gif

1800 divided by 9 is 200 pounds applied force. That's, uh, like me standing on the bar.

That's some impressive torque. I'm guessing they were not run of the mill hardware store stuff. I'm also guessing that removal after a few years out in the elements must be something else!

It was going to a steel mill, they'd probably just torch it!

lol.gif

My son-in-law builds presses, ones rated at 3-digit and even 4-digit ton amounts. I'm not sure about the breaker bar itself but he mentioned that they have to use cheater bars in the 12-foot length or longer on some applications.

lol.gif

Cant be tight if its liquid

I have breaker bars in all drives and they're certainly all different lengths. The correct tool for the job. My 3/4" drive bar has to be 40".

I like breaker bars without fancy handles. 24" or a bit more is normal. Ones that fit into a piece of black pipe that can be used to extend and get more torque is key...

lol.gif

Exactly. Anything in a mill ends up so corroded that sometimes there's barely a hex shape left on the heads. Blue wrench removes all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back