Opinions on 5W-40 oils for Mercedes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying that these will be a better choice or better than what you posted but what about Amsoil 5W-40 EFM or AFL? The EFM has the MB 229.5 and the AFL has 229.51. Not sure what the difference between those specs is.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Don't forget Pennzoil Euro 5w40.
smile.gif

It shears worse than M1 0w-40.

We need to see some UOAs. There's one posted last Oct with a sheer down to 12.5.
smile.gif

smile.gif

We need to see some UOAs. There's one posted last Oct with a sheer down to 12.5.
smile.gif

There were a number of them back when it first appeared on the scene and the amount of viscosity loss outside of fuel dilution was nuts.

smile.gif

smile.gif

Seeing as Pennzoil Euro 5w40 STARTS off at 12.8 cSt at 100*C , " shearing ... " down to 12.5 seems pretty darn good ...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by geeman789
smile.gif

smile.gif

Seeing as Pennzoil Euro 5w40 STARTS off at 12.8 cSt at 100*C , " shearing ... " down to 12.5 seems pretty darn good ...

[Linked Image]

I haven't seen any recent UOA's, it was back when the oil first went GTL that I recall there were a number of UOA's that showed it sheared worse than M1 0w-40 and GC 0w-40. That may have since been resolved.

Originally Posted by geeman789
smile.gif

smile.gif

[Linked Image]

Seeing that pour point, I would say there is more Group III (A LOT MORE) in that oil than GTL.

GTL pour point is not significantly different from Group III

"GTL fluids also provide an excellent match for PAOs," Henderson said. "Their excellent VI, flash point and volatility more than offset the marginal low temperature property represented by pour point which can be further improved if necessary through increased dewaxing severity."

Originally Posted by Fotoflame
Can you post the two UOAs?
smile.gif

Here they are. The first UOA was the first oil I put in the car when I got it. Through that time I was trying to diagnose fuel trim issues as well as address other issues. Which I thought was the cause of the extra iron. With engine issues settled, I thought the second UOA would be better.

First UOA

Second UOA

IMO, the 'extra' iron are principally corrosion wear arising from very low mileage usage over time and winter storage .
Would 5W40 make a difference ? I don't think so .

Originally Posted by zeng

IMO, the 'extra' iron are principally corrosion wear arising from very low mileage usage over time and winter storage .
Would 5W40 make a difference ? I don't think so .

You may be right. If I get a similar UOA with a run of 5W-40, my mind will be at peace and I'll probably go back to a 0W-40 because it's significantly cheaper to pick it up at Wal-Mart.

Originally Posted by Wheel366
I'm not saying that these will be a better choice or better than what you posted but what about Amsoil 5W-40 EFM or AFL? The EFM has the MB 229.5 and the AFL has 229.51. Not sure what the difference between those specs is.

The 5 is for non-DPF/petrol, while the 51 is for DPF/SAPs reduced. Without emissions comp. the 5 would be best/less restricted

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by loneryder
Our engines weren't designed for SN oils. That's why I would use the oil that the engine was designed for.

Wasn't it designed for an oil that has Mercedes Benz approval 229.5?

Yes. And to my knowledge 229.5 oil is not SN rated. They don't tell you any other ratings than 229.5. If you look at the Lubrizol "spider" chart for MB 229.5, it covers more area on that chart than any other oil,

I'm waiting for results on virgin MB 229.5 5-40. I believe it is the same oil as Mobil 1 M 5-40. Both are about the same price. I would use one of these two. I'm using the MB oil in my 2000 CLK 430. It was noisy when I got it but has quieted down with this oil and several tanks of Costco Prem gas.

landed on that when I ordered Formula M a few years back
It tested quiet during my dB tests

Yes. And to my knowledge 229.5 oil is not SN rated. They don't tell you any other ratings than 229.5. If you look at the Lubrizol "spider" chart for MB 229.5, it covers more area on that chart than any other oil,

Mobil 1 0W-40 FS and Castrol EDGE 0W-40 both are API SN licensed and have Mercedes Benz 229.5 approval. I'm sure there are others.

And who doesn't tell you anything? All the approvals Mobil 1 obtains are clearly listed on their PDS and on the container:

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 has the following builder approvals:

MB-Approval 229.3
MB-Approval 229.5
VW 502 00/505 00
PORSCHE A40
Nissan Genuine Performances
AVTOVAZ (LADA cars) Approved

Originally Posted by Fotoflame
I'm waiting for results on virgin MB 229.5 5-40. I believe it is the same oil as Mobil 1 M 5-40. Both are about the same price. I would use one of these two. I'm using the MB oil in my 2000 CLK 430. It was noisy when I got it but has quieted down with this oil and several tanks of Costco Prem gas.

FYI, I found this post on a MB forum. Some russian oil forum did an analysis of MB OEM and M1 Formula M and they are right next to each other in the chart. I would appear that they are different per their analysis. But I look forward to you posting your results.

MB 229.5 VOA's

Will be interesting to see how a current on compares.

I apologize, I did not know you were referring to Mercedes-Benz branded oil (I thought you meant any oil with 229.5 approval). No, they most likely do not have other approvals or licenses listed on the container as there would be no reason to do so. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back