Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Interesting that the TBN is a bit lower than LM shows on their most recent spec sheet (11.3 vs. BS's 9.2) and the viscosity @ 100C is a bit different too (13.5 vs. 14)..close. I just wanted real-world starting points to tweak my OCIs.

InkedLM 5W40-191225_virgin_analysis-page-001_LI.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with ad244, I ran this in a 911 and had worse wear metal readings after 2600 miles with this oil compared to M1 0w-40 after 8000 miles on a UOA analysis. There is no moly and it has less zddp and detergents than the mainstream synthetics. I think this is only popular in Germany due to it being priced cheaper compared to Mobil and Castrol.

Originally Posted by Olas
Maxlife is better than leichtlauf

What is "Maxlife" - Valvoline?

This will read as critical, but its just some thoughts out loud, no malice intended ...

Not much to be inferred form the VOA, very limited return for you curiosity.

Looks like the oil MAY HAVE special zero ash EP/AW adds that will not show on this VOA.

Also I see no CA reduction to aid LSPI.

But if it runs excellent and returns a good OCI then - so much bench racing
smile.gif

But, Still ....
--------------------------------------------------------------

But, Why do German engines need such a thick oil?

Design issues? Material issues?

High HTHS leaves a lot of HP and some fuel mileage in the oil pan as heat - shearing the viscous stuff

The reason I wanted a VOA was to help with my graphs below which will help me hone-in/refine my OCI. Currently will do a 9K mile on my current fill and then will have a nice graph....looking like 7.5K may be ideal based on viscosity. On the LSPI - VWs don't really have this issue like some other brands.

tbn.JPG

vis.JPG

18 GOLF SW-191005_UOA_21K.jpg

Last edited:
OP, thanks for posting that virgin sample! I also currently use that in my Porsche.

Hm, so it's numbers really aren't impressive.

So what's a better oil?
Motul maybe? I’m using LM too. Idk if I should start using BMW 0w-30 or pento 5w-40? I guess LM really isn’t all that

Leichtlauf is translated as "smooth running" but since there is no tribological definition for this term it must be a marketing phraseology tool.

I been in the VW community for 20 years and the scene always thought the German and French oils were the holy grail of oils. They are overpriced and mediocre for what they are. Marketing be marketing.

Leichtlauf- designates s.th. easy to run, turn, push, pedal thanks to reduced losses or light alloys + lightweight design. So, mainly early 28" aluminum bikes or ACEA fuel efficiency oils.

Last edited:
Here is only an analysis of the old version in stock. Does anyone already have an analysis of the new specification with API SP?

Here is only an analysis of the old version in stock. Does anyone already have an analysis of the new specification with API SP?
Best to search around here and the European/Russian oil forums that sometimes post VOAs. Can also just get some and test it. I'm not sure what SP does over the older version? Isn't this LSPI stuff/calcium-related?

I wonder if this LM oil is fully synthetic, or is it a Group 3 base stock oil.

Edit: the German language spec sheet does not state that this is a fully synthetic oil!! This is the google translation:
"Modern, top-class, smooth-running motor oil for the year-round use in petrol and Diesel engines without a diesel particulate filter (DPF). The Combination of unconventional base oils Synthesis technology with the latest Additive technology guarantee an engine oil that
Reduces oil and fuel consumption and for a rapid oiling of the engine. Depending onOil change intervals can be specified by the manufacturer of up to 40,000 km."

Here's the US spec sheet: "Top class fully synthetic, all-season motor oil for superior performance and long engine life. For gasoline and diesel vehicles without particulate filters (GPF/DPF). Exceeds strict test requirements specified by major manufacturers. Safe with catalytic converters and turbochargers. Use with extended oil change intervals as per manufacturer."

As you may know it's illegal in Germany to state that an oil is "synthetic" when it's a group 3 base stock. It is ok in the US to state that it's "synthetic" when it's a group 3 base stock. Years ago Mobil was sued in a US court because it claimed that Mobil 1 was synthetic even though it's a group 3 base stock that had been hydrocracked and the resulting polymers "re-assembled" into a "synthetic" oil. Mobil won the court case. However, a similar suit in a German court ended with the ruling that Mobil's process to create a "synthetic" oil does not result in a truly synthetic oil.

Ruling: this LM is not a true synthetic oil in the German sense of the phrase!

Back