Elon working New Year's Eve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
There is a reason Elon is successful... It's called work ethic.

Elon spending NY's Eve at work

I worked Christmas Eve and Christmas, and will probably work tomorrow. I am in no way as successful as Elon, I just like money and it's convenient this time of year to do overtime because so many people want off that there are easily many holes to fill in any role I want to play.

When he can do the things that Jimmy Carter has done for most of his life I might be impressed. This is the "first" News Years Eve I've been off in 45 some years. Elon impressive??? Pfffft.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Half the population lives on the streets.

Omega Man.

Sshhhh. We aren't suppose to talk about that.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by A_User55555

If he works those extra hours, and the plant manages to deliver all those vehicles. Then it'll cause Tesla to make a lot of money. Aka HE makes a lot of money.

Elon is rumoured to own some 38 million shares of Tesla. It was trading at $ 420 per share this week. 6 months ago, it was about $ 220 per share.

38 million times 220 = more than 8 billion dollars.

38 million times 420 = more than 15 billion dollars.

On paper, he has made some 7 BILLION DOLLARS in the last 6 months.

I think Elon is past the MAKE A LOT OF MONEY stage in his life ...

Blah new year's eve isnt even a holiday.. I put in my 8hours.. working 8 hours tomorrow too.

Handing out cookies like this ? "Take these cookies back to your machine you lazy incompetent———-"

There is a reason Elon is successful... It's called work ethic.

Elon spending NY's Eve at work

The reason he's successful is because he inherited a huge sum of money from his dad, who ran an emerald mine in apartheid South Africa. Blood money, in other words. He was able to invest that blood money into other things, and it's pretty much impossible to die poor when you start out with as much as he did. He holds no patents relevant to the automotive industry and is not an automotive engineer. He just has the money to hire people who are.

None of his companies turn a profit and never will, but since the stock market is all just smoke and mirrors it doesn't matter. Even on the marketing end of things he does more harm than good, constantly posting stupid garbage on twitter. Nerds lap it up, though, because he posts a few old memes every now and again, so they think he's one of them.

Originally Posted by dareo
Elon is crazy for how much he works. I'm convinced he would actually have better productivity if he dialed it back 10-20%.

01.gif

Jeff do you have a fetish for Elon??? That's pretty much all you ever post is Tesla something something.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Lol...I have 11 years of higher education. I worked very hard for those degrees and I work very hard when I'm at work. I have a great work ethic. I own my own business and I try and spend as little time there as possible because I come from a longline of work-o-holics who wasted too much of their lives at work just to drop dead in their 40's and 50's. I pay my employees well and give them a great benefits package so they too can spend time away from work because they too work very hard. I don't see this as an admirable quality. Yes, I'm very successful with this attitude and my staff and I are probably a whole lot happier. I'm sure everyone working at the plant tonight wished he'd go home so they could go home - tonight is not going to make or break anything. He works 120 hours because he's an ego maniac who doesn't know how to delegate because he believes he's the smartest guy in the room....always. That Tesla truck is an abomination of ego. My take is he literally wanted to see what kind of [censored] truck the masses who have had the Kool-aid would be willing to buy. It's horrible!

Indeed. More to life than work.

Originally Posted by P10crew
Jeff do you have a fetish for Elon??? That's pretty much all you ever post is Tesla something something.

15.gif
LMAO...
lol.gif

Originally Posted by P10crew

Here's how I feel...
I have 3 cars made at the Fremont plant. 1965 4-4-2 (97K original miles, always garaged), 1993 Toyota 4WD Pickup (350K miles, still in service) and the 2018 Tesla Model 3.
I bought the PU and Model 3 new; the Oldsey was purchased new by my father in law.
When NUMMI shut down, there was a huge loss in the Fremont and surrounding area; jobs, taxes, house values, support jobs.
Tesla came outta nowhere, made a deal with city of Fremont, and started rehiring a lot of displaced workers. Cool.
I used to work right across the street at Lam Research, which makes Plasma Enhanced Etchers for silicon wafer processing into chips.
Everyone counted Elon Musk and Tesla out. Everyone.
So many failures and missed deadlines. Cost overruns.

Well now Tesla is far ahead of any EV maker; no one is even close.
Tesla is the most valuable car maker in America.
I thought someday I might get one. Last December Sue and I decided to go take a look.
We are very high tech; she drove it and was intrigued. So we bought one.
The Model 3 is in the top 10 selling cars in America, like #3 in CA behind Civic and Camry.

Silicon Valley is an incredible place; like nowhere else.
Tesla is an American success story. Improbable at best. Yet here we are.
Musk has changed the world. And it has been an incredible ride.

I post things I have questions on. I do not have a lot of expertise in modern cars.
I am very experienced on classic Corvettes. I have pulled just about every nut and bolt on my '68 L36 Roadster.

By the way, the Model 3 is a flat out blast to drive. I consider ours an expensive toy.
If you haven't tried one out, perhaps you might... All good.

68 side.jpg

68 shiny.jpg

Last edited:
Some folks work long hours but never seem to accomplish much. I've seen others work a few hours and knock it out of the park.

Talent and ability has a lot to do with it. No knock on Elon, I suspect he is very talented. But long hours and a strong work ethic do not automatically mean much of anything.

Last edited:
I come from a longline of work-o-holics who wasted too much of their lives at work just to drop dead in their 40's and 50's. I pay my employees well and give them a great benefits package so they too can spend time away from work because they too work very hard.

god bless you sir!
I'm sure everyone working at the plant tonight wished he'd go home so they could go home - tonight is not going to make or break anything. He works 120 hours because he's an ego maniac who doesn't know how to delegate because he believes he's the smartest guy in the room....always. That Tesla truck is an abomination of ego. My take is he literally wanted to see what kind of [censored] truck the masses who have had the Kool-aid would be willing to buy. It's horrible!

Very well said!

FYI, Silicon Valley is full of work-a-holics. Not saying this is good or bad, but can be very rewarding.
Tesla delivered 112K cars in Q4; another record.
Stock is up another 20 points today in a down market. About $450.
The workers have stock purchase plans; they are looking pretty good today.

I don't understand how working NYE means he (or anybody working NYE) has good work ethics just because of that one day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew
I don't understand how working NYE means he (or anybody working NYE) has good work ethics just because of that one day.

Tesla is trying to meet aggressive goals set for product deliveries and company growth overall.
It was not only Dec 31st; it has been all year. And is continuing.
For example, the Shanghai plant broke ground in early 2019 and is starting to deliver cars now. That's aggressive. It takes a great plan and work ethic to execute such a plan.

..It takes a great plan and work ethic to execute such a plan.
Apparently our chinese amigos elected not to emulate Fremont's New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc. model.

No politics in this thread of course but a clever workaround for sanctions and tariffs nonetheless. Not unlike other manufacturers have effectively accomplished.

My mantra for 2019 was work less hours but effectively.

I work 35hrs instead of the 40-44 I used to do. Way more productive and happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back