2000 Tacoma Alternator (6 Cyl)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend needs to replace the alternator on a 2000 Toyota Tacoma (6 Cyl).

Looking for advice on where and what brand alternator to buy.

Other than a Genuine Toyota alternator, which aftermarket brand is recommended?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Toyota OEM for alternators is typically Denso and they make good stuff. Generally they are the same alternator as the Toyota parts dept one just without the markup. That said they are still a few hundred dollars.

From what's available on RA, I'd choose the Denso every time.
A d at $120 plus core and shipping, it's not the hardest pill to swallow.

My suggestion would be a local rebuild shop. The build quality of the one you have now will be better than anything you will be able to purchase. I am still running the OE alternator in my 93 Camry which is currently at 246K. Been to the shop twice and both times the repairs where cheaper than buying a new one.

Pick n Pull brand if you are lucky picker it might be a nearly new one.

All Densos are not equal. I just replaced mine on my ‘98 LS400 and was checking online just to get an idea as to the cost. On one sight they had 2 different Denso alternators
for me to choose and there was a huge difference in price. Same Denso part number for them both.

It seems you can rebuild a Denso with different quality internals. IDK?

Bottom line, I'd go to the dealer to purchase my rebuilt Denso alternator.

Could go on ebay and find brushes and regulator, try to see if that fixes it.

Originally Posted by ARB1977
If your going to to replace it. Pick up a higher amp alt while your at it.

I am not being argumentative or trying to be a jerk but are you sure it is ok to get a different amperage than what your car came with? IDK???
Just asking.
grin.gif

I too was wondering if it is wise to fit one with a higher amperage rating.

I'm for the local rebuilder route if one's available.

You want new bearings and possibly a new collector ring (that is what it's called?) in addition to the brushes and regulator in a 15 year old alternator.

A knowledgeable inspection and QC testing is also desirable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for doing whatever yourself.

I would try a rebuild kit myself. Plenty of youtube videos on how to service alternators. They are not complicated devices. generally the regulator or the brushes are bad.

If you're are not the DIY type, MANY shops can do this for you. Rarely is it an internal coil failure.

I would have yours rebuilt.
I see you are in CA. If you are in the Bay Area there is a good rebuilder in San Jose.
Otherwise a Denso reman is probably best for the money.
I have an OReilly alternator in our TSX that has been fine for a few years.

On my 01 v6 tacoma I put in new brushes at 230K, bearings felt good. Now at 250K, no problems. Couldn't see trading in a well made alt for a new one that might not be as good. And the original brushes were still 40% or so left, just seemed like a good idea when I planned the work. So mine was still working before I did that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
Don't buy a rebuilt from Napa. Their's have taken a nose dive in quality.

I can confirm this. Had to go to the store twice recently to look over 4 rebuilt ones to find one acceptable. At least they honored a warranty on a 11 year old rebuilt one that went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back