Help me pick a new gas grill

Seems like every gas grill I pick is junk. This latest $400 Sams Club Members Mark with a nice new cover purchased 2 years ago has frame/leg rot, and all 5 burner tubes with integrated igniters are rotted away. The only parts available for repair are at expensive grill sites. There are no cheap eBay or amazon kits available. So.. Here I go again buying a grill. And this time asking for advice.

- Budget $600 max
- Can last longer than 2 years without rotting away.
- Has replacement parts available online.
- Large enough to feed a family of 6

Thanks in advance

I hate grills for that reason, but finally jumped back in and bought another one.

I went with a Blackstone from Walmart. I must say it performs much better than I expected.

No parts exposed to any grease and gunk except for the griddle surface. Used it several times per week all last summer, then less frequently during the winter, I still think it was a good purchase.

Last edited:
yup, buy a weber and be done with it. ours has lived outside under a weber cover for 5 years now. looks great! lots of use 3 seasons out of the year too. money well spent. we have a 3 burner spirit..

Got this NEXGRILL two years ago haven't had one issue with it. They just had them on sale for $299 again at Home Depot.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
My NexGrill is falling apart, but I don't really take great care of it.

I'll probably buy another-- they're cheap enough.

I have used a gas grill a lot less since I cut down on eating red meat.

I bought a $100 one at Home Depot and keep it in the garage minus the propane.

But I use it 2x or 3x a year.

Originally Posted by ondarvr
I hate grills for that reason, but finally jumped back in and bought another one.

I went with a Blackstone from Walmart. I must say it performs much better than I expected.

No parts exposed to any grease and gunk except for the griddle surface. Used it several times per week all last summer, then less frequently during the winter, I still think it was a good purchase.

I was thinking about getting one in addition to a grill. How does it hold up outside?

Looking at the Webers. Wow the genesis II S-435 at HD is nice. All stainless inside and out. Its twice what I paid for the Altima in my sig lol.

If you're looking higher-end, don't forget Broil King. When I bought my place, my ex's parents bought us a lightly used Broil King Imperial that was at LEAST 15 years old and it cooks like a champ. They're rated right up there with Weber's.

Originally Posted by walterjay
Just get a Weber and it will last 12-15 years. Forget the rest. Learned my lesson the hard way with several other grills.
Love my Weber! Excellent heat control and very even. It took my grilling to a whole new level.

Which one do you have?

I've got a Weber genesis (2007ish model) that I got used 5 years ago. Its the nice one with the stainless grates. Its been great and I wouldn't consider having any other gas grill myself. You have to get the more expensive ones to get the solid stainless grates, but its worth it.

We've had a Weber for about 15 years, replaced the flavorizer bars once and the regulator twice but otherwise it's held up great. It's outdoors and is used year round, twice a week on average. It's a "Genesis Gold" which I believe would be equivalent to the current Genesis II stainless steel models. IMHO the difference between a Weber and a less expensive model with the "same" specs is the weight/sturdiness of the materials, the tightness of the lid (ie less heat escapes) and the availability of parts.

3 burners should be sufficient for the OP. Skip the models with the side burner. Stainless is nice but a regular enameled one is probably fine if you need to hit a price point. It looks like you can get a 3 burner, stainless Spirit line grill for the OP's budget, stretch a bit to get an enamel Genesis line.

jeff

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Originally Posted by walterjay
Just get a Weber and it will last 12-15 years. Forget the rest. Learned my lesson the hard way with several other grills.
Love my Weber! Excellent heat control and very even. It took my grilling to a whole new level.

Which one do you have?

I got a Weber Genesis E-310 about 11 years ago and it's still working fine. Looks like it was $650 at the time and it hasn't really gone up that much since then, around $700 although people complain that it might be made in China now. But you can still get parts for it 11 years later. A cheap grill costs more than an expensive grill if it doesn't last.

Ive had a large size weber Q for many years now. Im thinking about replacing the grates, but otherwise its wonderful.

Ours was made in the USA and less than $600. I like it because it isnt as bulky as the larger frame/stand grills. I like to tuck mine away out of sight and out of mind.

Otherwise Id buy one of the large USA made Webers. They have great customer service and last. Beware some are Chinese. But there are American models not far off of $600.

I've had them all but my Weber Genesis is now 16 years old and I never got more than 5 years from any other brand. I've replaced the Weber burners, igniter, and "tents" once in 16 years. The Genesis can be had at Lowes for $700 (less on sale) or the Weber Spirit can be had for under $500. Get the Weber.

the genesis is a nicer grill than the spirits...but you might want to stick to the spirit if you are wanting to have it last but save a bit. the genesis are a bit of an investment!

The Char Broil we have is over 10 years old and is just fine. It gets a cleaning with simple green the end of October then put in a shed. A neighbors rotted the burners and igniters so he replaced it. It stayed outside all winter for weekly use.

Back