Melted Suby

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the Australian fires.
Aluminum streams. Must have had an aluminum hood as well
[Linked Image]

I've been to Australia twice and my heart goes out to those people. This is even worse than the California fires.
Not to mention the animals. It's been estimated that 30% of the koala population is gone.

Wow so shocking. My prayers are with the Australian People, and the beautiful creatures that only down under has..
The video of the koala's calming drinking down the water from people is really heart breaking and makes you tear up, yes and I am a man...and normally don't do that.

Originally Posted by P10crew
At what temp does an aluminum rim turn into a molten stream?

I 'm going to give a wild guess of 1300 degrees Fahrenheit.

My daughter has a small business selling custom yarn. Much of the wool comes from Australia and there's expected to be a wool shortage later in the year due to the sheep herds being lost. Apparently a rancher posted video somewhere of his sheep being immolated. Makes you sick.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by P10crew
At what temp does an aluminum rim turn into a molten stream?

I 'm going to give a wild guess of 1300 degrees Fahrenheit.

not sure about the stream part, but it melts as low as 800F.

which is why we saw all sorts of melty returns when they started making those campfire pie irons out of aluminum, instead of Iron

and not important really, but that front end, whats left of it, looks falcon-ish to me...

Last edited:
According to some references I checked, the melting point of aluminum is 660°C, 1221°F. This is for the liquid phase to form. I'm sure it's alloy dependent, but it will be close to that.

Below that temperature the material will weaken and collapse under it's own weight, but that's not actual melting.

The OP's picture shows melting as an obvious liquid phase has formed.

Years ago I was walking through some bush lands after a big bushfire had passed through. I stopped to examine some burnt out cars. All the glass in the windows had "melted" and formed blobs of glass on the ground. According to some sources glass "melts" at 1400 °C to 1600 °C, but given that many consider glass to not be a true solid, but rather a super viscous liquid, it's hard to say the actual temperature. Given that Iron melts at around 1510 degrees C (2750°F) and Steel often melts at around 1370 degrees C (2500°F), I didn't see any signs of melted steel in the cars.

The CSIRO did some measurements of fires in dry eucalyptus forest and got max flame temperatures around 1,100 degrees Celsius (2,012 degrees Fahrenheit) in their experiments.

Last edited:
No one's thinking possible photoshop?

Not diminishing the seriousness of the fire, but there appears to be foliage on trees just feet away.

I guess i don't care either way; a melted subaru is least of the area's worries.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by simple_gifts
No one's thinking possible photoshop?

Not diminishing the seriousness of the fire, but there appears to be foliage on trees just feet away.

I guess i don't care either way; a melted subaru is least of the area's worries.

Not that uncommon, just google bushfire images and you will see lots of burnt out houses with trees still standing in the background showing leaves. Sometimes the trees burn up completely, sometimes the leaves just carbonise in place, like when paper burns but you can still see the writing on the ash.

With eucalyptus (gum) trees it's the eucalyptus oil that gives the plant its distinctive smell, and help preserve it in times of drought, but this oil is also the major fuel in bushfires. That's why eucalyptus trees — especially the blue gums (Eucalyptus globulus) that are common throughout New South Wales — are sometimes referred to wryly as "gasoline trees." Many of these burnt gum trees should recover after the fires.

I can't speak for this actual photo above. But I have walk through the bush after fires, and it's very spotty in places, with collapsed trees here and blackened but standing trees there (many with blackened but in place leaves). The same area had a road sign, the steel post was still standing fine, but the aluminium sign had melted into puddles on the ground. The sign post above looks ok, but like I said, bushfires can be very spotty with vortexes and hot spots. Standing houses next to burnt houses in the same street.

Last edited:
Some recent pictures from the Australian bushfires from a national news network. The first picture is of another melted aluminium rim on a car.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/a...her/3394a483-e753-40dd-9932-ee35d2349ec4

A few more pictures in they measure the temperature at 600C (1,112 F) in some smouldering ruins.
An RFS Crew attempts to put out a smoldering pile of railway sleepers. The sleepers measured over 600 degrees on a thermal temperature gauge 2 days after the fire front had passed through on January 06, 2020 in Wingello, Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back