SSynchromesh fluid Honda CRV 5 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a 02 Honda CRV 5 speed manual showing 125,000 miles. I changed all the fluids, using the Honda Dual Pump in the rear differential...I had Pennzoil synchromesh fluid on the shelf so I filled the tranny with this...The oil I drained looked clean....The trans shifts very nicely, better than what was in it....Opinions...Leave the synchro fluid in there or use the Honda oil or something else??? Thanks

That should work just fine and here is a list of alternative fluids:

NOTE: This list is only a "suggested" list of MTFs. It is not an endorsement nor a critique of any one fluid, nor is it implied that any one fluid will cure problems in MTs that have design problems or those that have excessive wear.

Note: C, D and E are often considered popularly as "synchromesh" fluids.

C. The next higher viscosity MTL group is in the 8.0 cSt to 8.9 cSt Range would be:

1. Castrol Syntrans V FE (8.0cSt)
2. Redline DCTF Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid (8.1 cSt)
3. BG Synchroshift II (8.2 cSt)
4. Valvoline MTF Part Number 811095 8.8 cSt
5. RAVENOL PSA (8.9 cSt)

D. The next higher viscosity MTL group in the 9.0 to 9.5 cSt range is (SAE 75W80):

1. Mopar Type MS-9417 MTL 9.0 cSt
2. Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.0 cSt
3. RAVENOL SSG 9.5 cSt

E. The next group of MTL's are in the 9.6 to 10.X cSt range (SAE 75W80):

1. Redline MTL 75W80
2. Amsoil MTF (9.7 cSt)
3. GM Synchromesh's
4. Volvo MTF 645
5. Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic MTF (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)
6. Lodexol (Morris Lubricants) MTF
7. Motylgear 75W-80

10w 30 engine oil should be the recommended. Used to be. Whatever the manual says. I don't think the Pennzoil is right. Lots of gear oil put in Honda's and it is not correct.

I heard the Pennzoil Synchromesh is popular in Hondas. You can also use GM Synchromesh, which is synthetic.

If you are happy with the way it shifts, then the Pennzoil is no problem
smile.gif

I've used Pennzoil Synchromesh many times in my Honda manuals. I always thought it shifted better than the OEM fluid, even when cold. It isn't particularly thick and should be a good lubricant for many miles, I would leave it in there.

The motor oil recommendation for these transmissions was usually a temporary recommendation if a suitable manual transmission fluid was not available. Pennzoil Syncrhomesh is specifically made as a GL4 MTF lubricant and will be much better suited to your manual transmission than regular motor oil.

Originally Posted by 90crvtec
I've used Pennzoil Synchromesh many times in my Honda manuals. I always thought it shifted better than the OEM fluid, even when cold. It isn't particularly thick and should be a good lubricant for many miles, I would leave it in there.

The motor oil recommendation for these transmissions was usually a temporary recommendation if a suitable manual transmission fluid was not available. Pennzoil Syncrhomesh is specifically made as a GL4 MTF lubricant and will be much better suited to your manual transmission than regular motor oil.

Thanks for the info from actual experience.....Even my wife noticed it seems to shift nicely, lol

Not in my Honda manual, 10w30 is recommended always or Honda fluid which would be a version of the same. Gear oils are incorrect. Of course time marches on and what the new ones say in the manual may differ. Would have to look in the particular year manual but by and large 10w30 motor oil is correct.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Not in my Honda manual, 10w30 is recommended always or Honda fluid which would be a version of the same. Gear oils are incorrect. Of course time marches on and what the new ones say in the manual may differ. Would have to look in the particular year manual but by and large 10w30 motor oil is correct.

As others have correctly stated 10W30 engine oil was for top-off only and was to be used only as a last ditch effort when and if the MTF is not available.

Application specific or dedicated MTFs are defined as fluids formulated specifically for manual transmissions or transaxles in which the viscosity is targeted for the amount of HP and torque to be transferred and which has special FM additives for synchronizers and for shifting in wide temperature ranges, so MTF is not just gear oil.

The first dedicated MTFs made specifically for synchronized transmissions was the Texaco formulated GM/ACDelco Synchromesh fluid at 10.0 cst at 100C. and until recently, 10 cSt was the major fluid viscosity. As higher mpg ratings were sought, the fluids specified were reduced in viscosity to 7.5 cSt and then down to LV viscosities of around 6.0 cSt.

There are many resources on BITOG that can help one understand the differences in lubricants such as:

Manual Transmissions and Lubricants

Last edited:
Others may state but I owned two Accords with manual and I know at least one specified 10w 30 and that is it, nothing else. Not for top up, all the time and all the way. I did change using common 10w 30 and the shifts were like silk just as always. I remember it because that's the first time I had a car than took engine oil in the transmission. Now with Honda fluid being back specified to those earlier cars, my logic is the Honda fluid is something very like 10w 30 motor oil. Amsoil sells a 5w 30 but specifically. I go by the factory specs, not the internet consensus. My main point is don't use gear oil 75w 90 etc in a Honda manual, it is incorrect and I will stick to that unless I see proof Honda saying it's OK.

Originally Posted by MolaKule

As others have correctly stated 10W30 engine oil was for top-off only and was to be used only as a last ditch effort when and if the MTF is not available.

Application specific or dedicated MTFs are defined as fluids formulated specifically for manual transmissions or transaxles in which the viscosity is targeted for the amount of HP and torque to be transferred and which has special FM additives for synchronizers and for shifting in wide temperature ranges, so MTF is not just gear oil.

The first dedicated MTFs made specifically for synchronized transmissions was the Texaco formulated GM/ACDelco Synchromesh fluid at 10.0 cst at 100C. and until recently, 10 cSt was the major fluid viscosity. As higher mpg ratings were sought, the fluids specified were reduced in viscosity to 7.5 cSt and then down to LV viscosities of around 6.0 cSt.

There are many resources on BITOG that can help one understand the differences in lubricants such as:

Manual Transmissions and Lubricants

Good info thanks for the link.I try to make sure my opinions are from experiences, and I am somewhat perfectionist about following specs in the manual, even 30 or more years ago. You're way past me in knowledge about oil, I have to stick to what I remember and it's what I said.

... Now with Honda fluid being back specified to those earlier cars, my logic is the Honda fluid is something very like 10w 30 motor oil. Amsoil sells a 5w 30 but specifically. I go by the factory specs, not the internet consensus. My main point is don't use gear oil 75w 90 etc in a Honda manual, it is incorrect and I will stick to that unless I see proof Honda saying it's OK.

No one said anything about using a 75W90.

Please take a good look at this viscosity chart:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

A 30 grade oil has a 100C viscosity that averages 10.5 cSt.

Looking at the Amsoil MTF viscosity properties at 100C

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2080.pdf

or the Redline MTL 75W80 and look at the viscosity property at 100C:

https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/files/tech/MTL_GO_PROD_INFO(1).pdf

They all show averages of about 10.5 cSt@100C which makes them all 30 grades.

What we're trying to tell you is that modern, dedicated MTFs are superior in every way to engine oils for manual gearboxes.

So the oils given in the examples above can safely replace and backspec engine oils for use in manual transmissions with better performance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back