Looking for low profile ramps that won't prematurely end my life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
It only takes one instance. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I know someone who put his vehicle up on ramps to change the oil. It was cold out so he went inside to get a coffee refill and warm up. He figured he was inside for 5-10 minutes. When he came back out the ramps had collapsed.

It only takes one time.

which brand?

Metal ramps with some 2x12 in front work ok for me. Mine are a bit overkill which I think is a good way to go with any jacking/ramp system.

Wood ramps are totally worthless compared to well designed ramps!. You get what you pay for with some tools, and a of couple different sets is even better. The lighter they are, the better, when it comes to good ramps. I have my 20 year old Rhino ramps, which were much stronger, and the 67 inch, 2-peice Race Ramps. Threw the wood, and metal ramps I had in the garbage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dbias
Originally Posted by nobb
For a low profile car, I've found store bought ramps to be overpriced so I just built my own out of wood. Excellent compressive strength and should last almost forever. Even if I had to, I will never buy a metal ramp again because it's easy to forget to regularly inspect it over the years and rust could develop enough such that they collapse. Happened to me once with a 5000 lbs van ontop so I will never do it again.

Exactly what I have done, used 2x12's and they work great. I got the idea from my time on the fire department when we had to put chains on the older rigs. I figure if it will hold a 80k lb aerial it'll work for me.

I agree.

Been using the same set of Rhinos for about 10 years. They're low-profile enough that the chin spoiler on the Mustang doesn't touch, so they should work for pretty much anything this side of a Corvette. I do a visual inspection every time I use them for signs of weakness or fatigue....nothing so far. Only problem is that they like to slide on the polished concrete in the garage. RWD cars are a challenge. FWD no problem. I need get a couple of those low-pile rubber-backed door mats to put under them.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
Been using the same set of Rhinos for about 10 years. They're low-profile enough that the chin spoiler on the Mustang doesn't touch, so they should work for pretty much anything this side of a Corvette. I do a visual inspection every time I use them for signs of weakness or fatigue....nothing so far. Only problem is that they like to slide on the polished concrete in the garage. RWD cars are a challenge. FWD no problem. I need get a couple of those low-pile rubber-backed door mats to put under them.
+1 Though my experience with the Rhino Max ramps now at ~ 4 years since purchase, my procedures and findings with vehicle use, identical. For RWD, rubber floor mats or waffle weave rubber placemats serve the purpose. FWD, no issues.

Rhino's scare the begesus out of me. I know people use them w/out problem but I can see why people prefer the 100% guarantee against collapse provided by wood ramps.

I have been using wood ramps for years and love them. I would set my whole family under my Tahoe and have a sleep over and not even think about a collapse..

Last edited:
Agree … As I mentioned in another thread … cut the 1st board longer to "pin" the ramps from sliding and get past air dams. Make the landing widest by cross graining boards at the top.
Don't use treated … good dry indoor lumber glues best … Pine-O-Ramps should be glued & screwed (2-1/2 to 3 inch)

I used wood ramps for one wheel, two wheels, and four wheels …
(admit I used them on pea gravel … blame the wife for that)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back