Delvac 1 and moly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Delvac1 contain moly? I do a bit of 4 wheelin and the old Blazer can end up running at some pretty steep angles and the motor could end up sucking air. My Jeep did it bad, the Blazer is a diesle and the extra capacity seems to help keep the pick-up submerged. Anyway, I would like to have some protection when I'm running 0 oil pressure.

ZDDP is a lower temp, lower load AW additive, while Moly and Antimony DTC and the Naphthenates such as Bismuth Naphthenate, are higher temp, higher load AW additives. While not a panecea, it certainly doesn't hurt to have higher load additive.

Thanks for the reply. Might rig up a accu-sump if it bothers me too much.

Judd,

As a general rule, HD diesel oils don't contain friction modifiers like moly. I believe one reason for this is that the roller type, valve lifters require some "traction" in order to operate properly.

Delvac 1 is excellent stuff and contains a healthy amount of ZDDP antiwear additives. It will perform very well under the kind of boundary lubrication conditions you describe.

Moly is just one of a number of antiwear and friction modifiers used in modern engine oils. It is not a panacea and will not turn an average oil into an excellent one ....

MolaKule

I stopped at a Flying J today looking for the same bargin.

They had Delvac 1300 for $9.25/gal. Perhaps you meant Delvac 1300 and not Delvac 1.
dunno.gif

MolaKule, if you can find it for $8/gal I'll pay you shipping & beer money!
smile.gif
Around here Delvac 1300 goes for $6-7/gal but Delvac 1 is nowhere to be seen.

David

You're a lucky dog. At $8/gal why use anything else?

[ November 21, 2002, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: satterfi ]

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Obviously mispriced. You should buy all of it!

I know a guy from Texas who found 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 for $8 a jug! Obviously mispriced, but he bought about 40 of them! He showed a digital pic of his garage, there were jugs everywhere! Problem is, now he will take years and years to use up all that SJ formula TriSynthetic and he now knows the new stuff is much better.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Obviously mispriced. You should buy all of it!

I know a guy from Texas who found 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 for $8 a jug! Obviously mispriced, but he bought about 40 of them! He showed a digital pic of his garage, there were jugs everywhere! Problem is, now he will take years and years to use up all that SJ formula TriSynthetic and he now knows the new stuff is much better.

It's unusual be not unique. The local Wal-Mart (Oroville, CA) had the 5qt. SS Mobil1 jugs on sale for $9.83 last month. Maybe mismarked, maybe not . . . but I picked up 17 of the 10W-30's and 3 15W-50's and they all scanned at that price at the checkstand.
grin.gif

Delvac 1 is certainly more shear stable than their 0w-40 from the data I've seen, but the additive chemistry of the M1, 0w-40 is optimized for use in gas engines. So this is anybodies guess ...

TS

I'm ran Delvac 1 in my 98 Ford F-150 4.2L V-6 gasser. Had originally bought it to go in my tractor and then decided against it since John Deere would not ( at the time ) endorse the use of any full synthetic oils.

Put 6000 miles on the oil not a drop of makeup oil needed, no darkening of the oil, no problems. Probably could have run it 10,000. But could not wait to pour the Schaeffers green in my machine.

Since I was just trying to exhaust my supply I did not push the Delvac 1 or run any analysis.

Currently running Schaeffers 7000 15w-40 and will be analyzing it at 6,000.

Really hard to justify $6.25/quart when Schaeffers is $3.00/quart and an excellent oil.

Neil,

To add to what you have to say, Schaeffers has been API certified as a CI rated oil so it meets the newer manufactures specs where most are still ch rated.

[ November 23, 2002, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back