Unable to use full synthetic with filter?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I contacted wix about my protec filters for my JD. he says I shouldn't use them because they're a light duty filter designed for conventional oil and that I should use the wix 57035. Is there any reason why he may be correct in his answer?

I think it has more to do with the OCI than the oil. They likely think since you are using synthetic you will be doing a longer OCI. Although the 57035 is heavier duty, the protec is perfectly fine for a mower with synthetic oil.

Hi Mr. Bettez,
The correct filter for this John Deere LT155 Tractor is 57035. There is no reason that you can't run full synthetic oil with 57035. Pro-Tec filters are only warrantied and recommended to be used on light duty cars and trucks using conventional oil
with severe oil change intervals.

Thank you for your interest in WIX Filters.
Product Information (800) 949-6698
Mon-Fri, 8:00am-7:30pm,
& Sat, 9:00am-5:30pm (Eastern)

Sent: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 9:35 AM
To: (TechService)
Subject: Contact From WIXFILTERS.COM - Product Information

E-mail from WIXFILTERS.com Site:

Request Relates To: Product Information
Name: Bettez
Address:
City:
State/Province: Rhode Island
Zip/PC:
Phone:
Fax:
E-Mail:
Question/Request: I'm currently running a pro-tec PTL51348/130 oil filter on my John Deere LT155 lawn tractor with a Kohler engine. On your site it says that pro-tec filters should used with conventional oil, my question is, is there any reason why I can run a full synthetic oil with this filter? I will be changing the oil and filter out every season.
How to Contact: Via E-mail

Last edited by a moderator:
No sir, you should only use Pro-Tec filters on light Duty cars and trucks and only with conventional oil.
If you want to use full synthetic oil , use the WIX branded filter. In this case it's the 57035.

Sent: Thursday, January 2, 2020 8:34 AM
To: (WIX Catalog Department)
Subject: Re: Contact From WIXFILTERS.COM - Product Information

I know, I'm asking if it's okay to use full synthetic with the protec filters. It's on a tractor being changed after every season.

No sir, you should only use Pro-Tec filters on light Duty cars and trucks and only with conventional oil.
If you want to use full synthetic oil , use the WIX branded filter. In this case it's the 57035.

Then I asked why and he called me and said it's a value filter for people more concerned about cost. Less pleats, not as strong. Then he said you can use syrup if you want but we won't warranty anything. And that's why he stuck to the script.

I contacted wix about my protec filters for my JD. he says I shouldn't use them because they're a light duty filter designed for conventional oil and that I should use the wix 57035.
Hogwash. A canned answer by some unknowledgeable CS rep reading application info straight from some book. Similar goofy type answers about oil type usage used to come out of the Purolator OF customer service office, can't remember it's special name. In any case the synthetic oil, conventional oil, makes no difference to the filter.

As for filter recommendation, another canned answer recommending the spec OPE application. But unsurprising as CYA main factor when making outside recommendations.

Linked is a Napa Gold 1348 run 7 years on a lawnmower, also an automotive application. Replaced with same, and used synthetic in that case. In summary, topic filter fine for OPE application. Though as disclaimer, in the miniscule event your JD engine failed and filter proven cause, there would be no filter warranty coverage. Seeing as automotive application purchased, the would/should be assumed.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5192909/napagold-1348-c-p-7-yr-ope-fci

Since the protec is basically a pro select I don't see any issue with using them, I have a bunch so I will be changing them each season

Technically what I'm using with the protec it's a basic wix 51348 without the silicone adbv and the base bypass valve. The protec uses a nitrile adbv and a top bypass

If anything, syn oil will be easier on the filter than conventional, especially in cold conditions. Personally I would try for something better than Purolator made questionable filters anyway!

Most current synthetic oils uses a GRP III base oil. These are made from highly refined CONVENTIONAL oils ...

Your Protec filter likely isn't rated for the extra long service intervals, as MIGHT be seen by someone using a synthetic oil.

Use whatever oil you want, just don't run the same filter for 10 years, and you'll be fine.

The filter doesn't know, nor care, what type of oil is flowing through it. ISO 4548-12 is conducted with a 14 cSt hydraulic oil. Pick the filter based on the level of filtration and change interval you desire.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
A canned answer by some unknowledgeable CS rep reading application info straight from some book.

This, although probably not unknowledgeable. He is just told to recommend a certain filter for liability reasons. In a sue happy world, this is what you get.

^^^^I certainly get that when it comes to the oil filter recommendation, thus the reference to CYA and unsurprising. Otoh, the "can't use with synthetic oil" with topic filter, part of the spiel.....that as noted is "hogwash". The filter wouldn't be the best choice for a vehicle extended service OCI where synthetic oil may be used/recommended. But that's not same as saying topic filter can't be run with synthetic oil, period.

As an aside, I remember the name of the Puro customer service line that used to give out similar information. The Puro Response Office or PRO.

^^^^I certainly get that when it comes to the oil filter recommendation, thus the reference to CYA and unsurprising. Otoh, the "can't use with synthetic oil" with topic filter, part of the spiel.....that as noted is "hogwash". The filter wouldn't be the best choice for a vehicle extended service OCI where synthetic oil may be used/recommended. But that's not same as saying topic filter can't be run with synthetic oil, period.

As an aside, I remember the name of the Puro customer service line that used to give out similar information. The Puro Response Office or PRO.

Those are the same clowns that told me a Bosch Distance Plus filter couldn't handle any more than a 3000 mile OCI-the PRO needs to be spelled "AMATEUR"!

Or... PRO= Pure Rubbish Office

lol.gif

Originally Posted by bbhero
Or... PRO= Pure Rubbish Office

lol.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
.....As an aside, I remember the name of the Puro customer service line that used to give out similar information. The Puro Response Office or PRO.
Those are the same clowns that told me a Bosch Distance Plus filter couldn't handle any more than a 3000 mile OCI-the PRO needs to be spelled "AMATEUR"!
Not long after M&H acquired Puro in 2013 that's when the silly information started coming from the newly 'oxymoronic' acronym named office. There were also several threads where the reps couldn't properly answer the question about filter warranty. Later in at least one thread they were corrected by a manager/higher up with the accurate information. I suspect that along the lines of the BD+ misinformation noted, which I also remember. And the topic can't use synthetic oil with a filter also given to at some point, possible voiding of filter warranty. Again, silly.

Haven't checked but I don't believe they use the name anymore. As noted earlier, I believe the answers similarly scripted here and don't 'imagine' the folks with the job have much if any knowledge of filter function. And speculating, likely paid in kind. While the some of the information nonsensical, none of it the engine damaging kind.

To topic, looking at an anecdote the spec recommended OPE filter, it uses a combo valve. All the more reason in this case, the Protec at least as good, likely the better filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back