295/65/r20 vs 35x12.50r20 weight carrying differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tires on my ram are now 5 years old and nearing 45k miles.
it's about time to replace, and while I'd prefer a 35x12.50r20 for a pair of SOTA 20x10 wheels I bought, I've noticed the 295/65r20 carry a considerable amount of weight in comparison.
Nitto puts them at a 35.45x12.13, rated at a hefty 4080lb per tire.
I pull a heavy 5th wheel so tires and weight ratings are something I do not mess with. .my factory tires are 265/65r20 and are rated at 3640 and have been sufficient for many miles of pulling.

Last edited:
It will vary by manufacturer. I have the Michelin LTX in 35 12 50 20 size and it comes in at 3,195 lbs at 75 psi. Same LTX in the 295/65 size is 4,080 lbs at 80 psi. Flotation tires measured in inches somehow have a different "E" range than LT P metric sizes. I'm guessing it is more designed to go offroad than heavy loads.

My goal in selecting this tire was to have the smoothest and quietest ride possible. It is very good at that. Offroad traction is okay, good enough for me since i don't go looking for mud puddles to drive through. I'm happy to trade some off road traction for luxury car ride quality for the vast majority of miles that are on pavement.

You may want to stick with a P metric size for heavy tow.

A word of caution:

P metric (and Euro-metric and Hard Metric) tires - that is, those designated as Passenger Car tires - have to have their load carrying capacity reduced by a factor of 1.1 when used on pickup trucks, SUV's, and trailers.

A 32X12.50R20LT and an LT295/65R20 are both LT designations (one flotation and the other LT metric) and those do NOT have to have their load carrying capacities adjusted for use on pickup trucks, SUV's, and trailers.

Because of this, I think it is a good idea to include the letters in front of or behind the numbers so that it is clear what is being talked about.

You might check the load rating of your wheels, too. Quite a few aftermarket wheels don't have the same load capacity as the tires that fit them. You should find the load rating somewhere on the backside of the wheel.

Some 35/12.50/20s are now "F" rated with 80 psi instead of "E" rated 65 psi. Flotation sizes are measured by outside gross inflated dimension including tread depth.

I put Toyo CT 295/65/20 on Fuel Cyclone 20X10". The outside dimensions on those wheels is 12.2 x 35.3" . Load rating 129 @ 80 psi, I run them at 65 psi on a 2011 GMC D-Max.

The next size up, maybe in 2 years will be 325/60/20 (likely Nitto EXO) on 20X12" wheels.

Originally Posted by userfriendly
Some 35/12.50/20s are now "F" rated with 80 psi instead of "E" rated 65 psi. ….

I know that statement will confuse quite a few people. What userfriendly stated is true, and it's a long story why that is so.

CapriRacer;

After posting, I thought you might catch my error;

295/65/20 load rating 129@80 psi, should be;

load rating 129
max pressure 80 psi

My tires had to be seated with starter fluid.

By installing the tires on the max recommended 10" wide wheels, sidewall flex is reduced and the tires should run cooler.

Another size I'm contemplating next time around is 35/13.50/20 also "F" rated 80psi cold max on 12" wide wheels.
Finding 20X12" zero off-set wheels is hard without springing for custom forged.

I need fender flares for what I have now, as mud & snow showers the side of the truck including the mirrors.

Those monster lifted trucks with negative off set 14" wide wheels are pavement princesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back