SN vs. SM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new Wildcat XX. It's got a 3-cylinder Yamaha engine. The manual says they "recommend" Arctic Cat factory oil, but, it specifically states that "any 0W40 API certified SM rated oil is acceptable".

At my local Walmart, all the 0W40 oils are now SN rated. Is there anything about the older SM oil that is not present in the SN oils? Will I be fine with Mobil 1 0W40 "European Formula"? It was the only 0W40 in stock last week.

API SN oils are backwards compatible to API SM oil.
Carry on.
cheers3.gif

Every oil is backward compatible to the one before it. SN, SM, SL, SJ, SH, SG, SF, SE. I don't remember if there was an SD, SC, SB, but I do remember SA.

You dont need to chase 0w40.

I have a 2019 RZR Turbo and have been using Mobil 1 TDT 5w40 for the past 1500 miles. My next oil will be Delo 5w40.

My TDT is dual rated and so is the Delo.

You are in the same climate as me as well.. 5w40 will do all that you ask of it.

Thanks guys.

As far as using different viscosity, I have no problem with that personally, but I purchased an extended warranty and I want to make sure that I don't give them any reasons to void that on me. So for now I'm going to stick to the book.

I run Delo XLE 10w30 synthetic blend in my XX and it has worked great. I got this stuff when WM was selling it off at $10 a gallon. Seems that pretty much any HDEO should do the trick. If you haven't already, this would be a great time to drop the rear frame section and add a rubber pad under the engine area. The horse mats at Tractor Supply work great and they much cheaper than the Speed SxS ones. https://speedsxs.com/products/speed-wild-cat-xx-rear-differential-savor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back