Rhino Ramps Collapsed

Originally Posted by 4WD
Been using Pine-O-Ramps for years but also have my own rule to follow.
I only use jacks and stands when I need to remove a wheel … otherwise wheels get you up one, two, or four ramps.

Why do you prefer ramps over stands ?

To use jack stands … ? Would have to use two jacks and two stands …
I never remove a jack but load share with the stand …
So, easier for me to drive up two ramps.

Originally Posted by wowthisexists
Originally Posted by 4WD
Been using Pine-O-Ramps for years but also have my own rule to follow.
I only use jacks and stands when I need to remove a wheel … otherwise wheels get you up one, two, or four ramps.

Why do you prefer ramps over stands ?

Takes 10 seconds to drive up ramps. Takes 10-15 minutes to jack up a car and place stands and that assumes you have both a place to jack from and another place to put the stands at.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by PimTac
Why do you leave your vehicle on the ramps?

I was working on it at my leisure.

So your secondary jacks collapsed too?
Or, did you dangerously fail to use a scissors-type or bottle jack also?

Wait - you didn't have any life-saving device for backup....... did you? OMG!
What does 'leisure' translate to?....... on plastic ramps for hours, days, weeks or months?
OMG Pt 2.

Yeepers. What good is a ramp if you can't "trust" it? This alone would have me giving up any such ramps. I mean, if I have to pull out a jack, raise the vehicle a half-inch, then stack a jack stand under it... I might as well have done that in the first place!

I keep a stack of cut up 2xwhatever's for cribbing. I think I need to go add some more now.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
I found this pic showing squish, so it can happen.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

I had my newer black 12,000 Rhino Ramps do this awhile back after the tires of the vehicle I pulled up on them went up on the lip that is supposed to stop you from rolling off. My older gray 12,000 lb Rhino Ramps have never come close to doing this. I don't feel as if the newer style ones are built as good as the older ones.

I'll bet it wasn't caused by the Cavalier, Mustang or Monte Carlo. You shouldn't use those ramps on the pictured ground surface either.

Agreed. The right tool used incorrectly can hurt you.

Well, I got my free replacement 16k ramps. They are a little wider but the material doesn't seem any thicker. Most excellent customer service. No hassle and a free upgrade.
banana2.gif

I'm always a little leery of my Rhino Ramps. Mine are more than 10 years old -- an 8000 LB set from Advanced. They've been great, though. If they did ever fail I'd get another set immediately.

I rolled out from under metal ramps when I was 17 as one collapsed. I was using them on hard dirt, and was young and didn't think anything of it. One corner sank a bit, a wrinkle formed in the metal (I saw the shift and rolled out) and then the whole thing folded up with the one leg less-supported. Now it's concrete only, jackstand + a jack, and if I'm going to be underneath with a tire removed, the tire/wheel goes under with me.

I will roll up on 2x10 lumber underneath the wheels for the lower vehicles - just enough to get a wrench under there to drain the oil.

Any kind of bought ramp, and any single lift device, makes me nervous.

I'll bet it wasn't caused by the Cavalier, Mustang or Monte Carlo. You shouldn't use those ramps on the pictured ground surface either.

That picture in my post is not my ramps. I just responded to that post to indicate that is what my ramps looked like. I always use my ramps on concrete.

It was a GMC terrain that caused mine to partially collapse.

Not sure RhinoRamps recommends extended periods …
My glued n screwed Pine-O-Ramps won’t care …

i use some plastic ramps a lot and have never had anything happen, no buckling or bending. i think they're biltz ramps. I've left cars on them for days but I mostly use them for oil changes.

Our RhinoRamps are 2004 vintage. Never had a problem with them holding either of our Camrys or anything. We have to use the plastic ramps for stuff like that because our metal ones are too high of a profile. My dad originally bought them for his Alfa Romeo. The metal ramps are from the 70s or 80s. My grandma bought a set of ramps for me to use at her house they are RhinoRamps and they feel so much cheaper than the ones my dad has. Also look different too. Made me nervous even having her mower on them but I trust ramps more than a jack and jack stands.

These used to be Hoppy (I think?) and that's where the positive experiences come from. The new ones are made by Blitz (I think?) and really scare me.

About 8 years ago I bought a set and put an '02 Silverado 1500 on the front wheels. On my concrete shop floor which is in very good condition. I was greeted with cracking noises....which seemed bad.

Upon inspection a couple internal ribs had cracked and in several places the plastic was visibly "milky" as stressed plastic will look.

I returned them immediately and am sticking with steel ramps.

This topic always amazes me because it's almost like politics -- those who think they're great have attacked me in other threads. How dare I suggest these ramps are not safe and effective!! If I had Twitter or IG accounts they would cancel me immediately for "disinformation."

I think each person should assume risk(s) as they see fit. If you want to use these, good luck. I personally never will and won't get under any friends' vehicles if these are employed. Whatever you do, just be sure to wear your N95 -- since these allegedly protect you from anything they can likely stop your face from being crushed.

Finally, the concept of something made to support the weight of your vehicle for "a short time" but unable to hold your vehicle indefinitely (overnight) should give everyone pause. That right there suggests continuous movement or fatigue is occurring the second the load is applied.

These used to be Hoppy (I think?) and that's where the positive experiences come from. The new ones are made by Blitz (I think?) and really scare me.

About 8 years ago I bought a set and put an '02 Silverado 1500 on the front wheels. On my concrete shop floor which is in very good condition. I was greeted with cracking noises....which seemed bad.

Upon inspection a couple internal ribs had cracked and in several places the plastic was visibly "milky" as stressed plastic will look.

This topic always amazes me because it's almost like politics -- those who think they're great have attacked me in other threads. How dare I suggest these ramps are not safe and effective!! If I had Twitter or IG accounts they would cancel me immediately for "disinformation."

I think each person should assume risk(s) as they see fit. If you want to use these, good luck. I personally never will and won't get under any friends' vehicles if these are employed. Whatever you do, just be sure to wear your N95 -- since these allegedly protect you from anything they can likely stop your face from being crushed.

Finally, the concept of something made to support the weight of your vehicle for "a short time" but unable to hold your vehicle indefinitely (overnight) should give everyone pause. That right there suggests continuous movement or fatigue is occurring the second the load is applied.
After all the stories of the plastic ramps, some work forever, others have horror stories of barely getting away with their lives.. To me, it's just not worth it.. Sure this is my opinion and how I feel.. but..How much time did anyone really save by putting it on plastic ramps instead of jacking up the car, setting on jack stands? A couple extra minutes maybe? It is worth it to me, I like the confidence to know I won't get crushed while under there. Sure, even jack stands can fail, nothing is perfect in this world. But I have better confidence in solid steel. (y)

Originally Posted by Reddy45
I found this pic showing squish, so it can happen.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

I had my newer black 12,000 Rhino Ramps do this awhile back after the tires of the vehicle I pulled up on them went up on the lip that is supposed to stop you from rolling off. My older gray 12,000 lb Rhino Ramps have never come close to doing this. I don't feel as if the newer style ones are built as good as the older ones.
In this pic, the vehicle was way too far forward on the ramp. Too much weight on the remaining section of ramp.

I’m hoping my KN95’s protect me from the Raid fogger !

Back