Anyone else own a oil burner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Camry was burning more oil than OP's when I got it, drove it for about 20,000 miles putting MMO in it at every oil change but eventually it started smoking and that's the end of an engine in emissions-nazi California. Replaced it with a rebuilt unit and have had no further issues, supposedly there is an updated piston design that will prevent the problem from returning.

My oil burner, a Toyota Tacoma 3.4, consumes maybe a few drops per OCI lol. With the advent of strict emissions regulations, it's funny how some modern vehicles will burn enough oil to ruin cat converters in just 100k miles. Makes you think twice which vehicles actually pollute less. 99.5% of the motor oil my truck goes through is recycled, while some economy cars spew oil by the quart just because they weren't built right from the get go, or wear out too quickly. Every car company is guilty of cost cutting in engines, and the consumer doesn't appreciate it either.

My 238k mile 305 v8 in my winter beater is now using a qt per 2k miles now with 0w40 Mobil 1. I think it's mostly valve seals as it would occasionally puff on startup or pulling away from a stop until I replaced the missing catalytic converter. No more smoke visible. It does leak a bit though.

I have owned it for 10 years now since 160k miles. I believe it used to only use a qt per 2500 miles, so only a little change.

My summer car has a 76 350 Oldsmobile and it uses a qt per 2500 miles. No smoke or leaks.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by fd1430
I would just replace the oil filter and add oil.

Good point, I'm going to replace the FRAM tough guard soon as it has almost 25k on it
crazy2.gif
grin2.gif

Not trying to jump to conclusions, but is this why it's burning oil? Lack of maintenance?

No. The 2007-2011 Toyotas with the 2az-fe are known for burning oil due to defective pistons/rings. Mine looked brand new under the valve cover with 150,000 miles on it but burned so much oil it smoked.

Originally Posted by super20dan
stop using 20w oil.

That's the dumbest comment so far. Thanks for nothing helpful

It's not too far from the truth, if the oil return holes in the pistons aren't plugged & the valve seals are not brittle. 5W-20 might be too thin for a middle-aged four cylinder....
trying 5W-30 or 10W-30 may slow the burn rate. YOilBurnRateMV.

Originally Posted by vw7674
stop using 20w oil.
It's not too far from the truth, if the oil return holes in the pistons aren't plugged & the valve seals are not brittle. 5W-20 might be too thin. ...
Key word there is "IF." Plugged return hoes are what often happens to these even with good maintenance.

Still using 0w20 AFE in my 2AZ-FE equipped 07 camry, it now has about 245,000 miles, it uses about 3/4 of a quart in 5000 mile Oci. Not all of them are oil burners and it isn't the "thin" oil that causes it. It's had M1 0w20 AFE at 5000 miles OCI's since day one.

I had the champion oil burner back in the early 1980's. 1971 Chevy Nova with under 100K miles, small V8. Went through a quart ever 50 miles (yes 50, I didn't slip a digit or drop a zero). Got the car for free, used it for less than 10K miles over 2 years or so until I sent her to the junk yard. Oil in 5 quart plastic containers was pretty cheap back then.

My 08 Subi Outback 3.0 was up to 1qt every 750 miles by 125,xxx when I traded it. Engine ran ok wasn't fowling spark plugs or anything and probably would have kept it if that was the only thing but the trans, transfer case, steering rack and alternator were all on their way out and it wasn't worth fixing.

Originally Posted by gregk24
Originally Posted by fd1430
I would just replace the oil filter and add oil.

Good point, I'm going to replace the FRAM tough guard soon as it has almost 25k on it
crazy2.gif
grin2.gif

Not trying to jump to conclusions, but is this why it's burning oil? Lack of maintenance?

Not lack of maintenance

Originally Posted by vw7674
stop using 20w oil.

It's not too far from the truth, if the oil return holes in the pistons aren't plugged & the valve seals are not brittle. 5W-20 might be too thin for a middle-aged four cylinder....
trying 5W-30 or 10W-30 may slow the burn rate. YOilBurnRateMV.

Heck, 5w30 and 10w30 in PCMO grade did nothing except crank slower when we hit winter. The Valvoline Syn Maxlife is doing better startup wise though and its 5w20

Since I dont see smoke from tailpipe and its never, ever had check engine light and passes emissions I'll use my stash of 0w20 and 5w20 oils first.

The N12 in my 120k mile Clubman uses a quart of BMW 0W-30 every 1k miles. I don't find that to be concerning.
The M42 in the Club Sport has used a quart every 2.5k miles since new, regardless of the oil used. Now at 144k miles I'm using BMW TPT 5W-30. All is well.

My '04 Corolla uses a qt every 700-800 miles, but it's got a pretty good excuse...it has 400K miles on it...

So, the 09' Camry of mine with the 2AZ-FE has 161k on it. Tried every grade of oil except 20w50 and SAE 30. Drinking about 2.5 quarts per 3,800-4,000 OCI

Lord knows how much longer I'll enjoy owning a oil drinking/burning car.
lol.gif

Anyone here own a oil burning/consuming vehicle?

My LS1 used 1 quart every 5k miles, give or take, from 70 to 149K miles. No change. No issues other than a destroyed cat at around 100K.

Following are oil-consumption experiences with my 4 cars listed below. All received timely oil changes. Incidentally, none were anywhere near as bad an oil guzzler as my parents' 1964 Buick LeSabre.

'54 Chevy originally bought new by my parents: Never an oil miser. Got bad enough that my father had new rings installed at ~70k, which I attribute partially to living on dusty gravel roads without modern paper air filtration, and not even a crude intake-air filter for the draft-tube crankcase ventilation. Also leaked oil from main seals. At around 110k, I slowed it from maybe 300 mpq to 600 mpq by replacing the leaky rocker-cover gasket.

'72 Subaru: Low consumption when new, roughly 7000 mpq. Gradually worsened to maybe 1100 mpq at 160k miles, probably due to ring wear, considering engine braking (friction) decreased noticeably in its old age, just as on the Chevy.

'81 Mazda: About 3000 mpq when new, and never got much worse, except for various leaks which intermittently dragged it to as bad as about 800 mpq before repairs. No apparent change in engine braking, or any other sign of oil-related engine wear.

'11 Prius: Amazingly low oil consumption so far, which gives the lie to common claims that low-tension rings necessarily directly cause high consumption. However, these engines have a reputation for often (not in all cases) starting to drink heavily in middle age, so I'm anxiously waiting for that other shoe to drop, and hoping to avoid the problem by pampering it.

Last edited:
One of my cars has used about 1 qt every 1K miles since new. It is close to 200K now, and it still uses the same amount. Another car of mine from the same manufacturer uses so little, that I can't see the level drop between oil changes. The BMW doesn't seem to use much oil. There is no dipstick and the add oil indicator doesn't come on between changes...

Originally Posted by Anduril
No. The 2007-2011 Toyotas with the 2az-fe are known for burning oil due to defective pistons/rings. Mine looked brand new under the valve cover with 150,000 miles on it but burned so much oil it smoked.

I thought the 2az was done with the 2008 or 2009 MY.

My F150 uses about 1 qt ever 1500 miles. I have debated just getting an Ultra and doing a filter change every five years (I only drive ~3,000 miles a year) and keep topping it up. Not sure where it is going, does not smoke, replaced PCV valve with Motorcraft part.
My brother in laws F150 uses a qt ever 2500 miles or so (4000 mile interval).
Sisters Santa Fe uses a qt every 5000 miles (7500 mile interval).
Daughters Scion (with the 2AZ-FE) has just started using about 1/2 qt in the 5000 mile interval (not enough to top off, but am checking it every 1000 miles now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back