Any F-150 problems?

I'm looking at buying either a 2019 F-150 Platinum or a 2020 F-150 Lariat, both new. They both have the 3.5L Ecoboost / 10 speed combination. Is there anything I should watch out for? I'm particularly interested in drivetrain issues. Thanks ahead of time.

Originally Posted by glock19
I'm looking at buying either a 2019 F-150 Platinum or a 2020 F-150 Lariat, both new. They both have the 3.5L Ecoboost / 10 speed combination. Is there anything I should watch out for? I'm particularly interested in drivetrain issues. Thanks ahead of time.

If you use google there is plenty of information on these trucks out there. (Ford sells a few). The problem with posting here is that you will get BITOG bias replies.

Be considerate of the rear-end ratio should you be towing at all.

Son in law has a '17 F-150 4X4 3.5 ecoBoost. Approx 35,000 miles Zero problems. Is a beast of a motor. Tranny is smooth. Everything else works as it should. Only 1 testimony but it is real life. He has a few friends with the 2.7 that rave about that engine.

Good and bad with all brands...I'm partial to Fords due to 40 years of very good reliable service. GM and Ram and Toyota are very capable trucks as well. Buy what feels good for your money.
Enjoy your new ride soon !ðŸ‘

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

If you use google there is plenty of information on these trucks out there. (Ford sells a few). The problem with posting here is that you will get BITOG bias replies.

I've Googled quite a bit but I've read everything from it's the greatest truck ever, to it's the biggest POS on the planet. I was hoping to get responses from people that own them.

Originally Posted by tenderloin
Son in law has a '17 F-150 4X4 3.5 ecoBoost. Approx 35,000 miles Zero problems. Is a beast of a motor. Tranny is smooth. Everything else works as it should. Only 1 testimony but it is real life. He has a few friends with the 2.7 that rave about that engine.

Both of the trucks I'm looking at are the 3.5L Ecoboost. I'm glad to hear the transmission is still smooth.

Originally Posted by atikovi
How long you plan on keeping it? The 2019 is a year old even if new so you take a hit at trade in time if you replace every few years.

Hopefully, I would be keeping it at least 5 years. I didn't plan to get rid of my Sierra this soon, but GM still hasn't fixed the 8 speed issues. Those transmission issues weren't present when the truck was new which is why I'm particularly interested in how the F-150 drivetrain (especially the 10 speed) holds up after racking up a few miles.

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Long term, Ford has paint problems. If you plan on owning for a long time it will be an issue and Ford will not fix it.

Are the issues limited to a specific color? I know white Chevys tend to peel.

I didn't plan to get rid of my Sierra this soon, but GM still hasn't fixed the 8 speed issues. Those transmission issues weren't present when the truck was new which is why I'm particularly interested in how the F-150 drivetrain (especially the 10 speed) holds up after racking up a few miles.

The new Mobil 1 LV ATF flush didn't solve your transmission shudder problems? I had the new ATF flush a year ago and have had no problems since. Before that GM installed a new torque converter but the problem was not solved until the new ATF was installed. I am satisfied with the 8 speed after the new ATF.

Originally Posted by jhs914
I didn't plan to get rid of my Sierra this soon, but GM still hasn't fixed the 8 speed issues. Those transmission issues weren't present when the truck was new which is why I'm particularly interested in how the F-150 drivetrain (especially the 10 speed) holds up after racking up a few miles.

The new Mobil 1 LV ATF flush didn't solve your transmission shudder problems? I had the new ATF flush a year ago and have had no problems since. Before that GM installed a new torque converter but the problem was not solved until the new ATF was installed. I am satisfied with the 8 speed after the new ATF.

No, it didn't. I didn't get a new torque converter, but they replaced the fluid and reset the TCM. It shifted perfectly for two days until the issues came back. I have another appointment at the dealer next week for them to look at it again, but I've been looking at F-150s in the meantime.

Some dealers aren't replacing ALL the ATF.....I've had to fix a couple 8L90E's with a complete exchange of Dexron HP. But the TCC lining could already have damage & needs the torque converter replaced.

A dealer has to attempt a fluid exchange first, They can't just throw a TC in it & expect corporate not to charge it back.

I had a 2016 F150 with 2.7 eco, and six speed auto. Loved the powertrain, and I had no complaints. I traded it in for a 2018 F150 with 2.7 eco, and ten speed auto. The ten speed has excessive freeplay that soured me on the truck. I got rid of it.

Originally Posted by Gillsy
The ten speed has excessive freeplay that soured me on the truck.

Can you elaborate? What do you mean by excessive free play?

I've got an ‘18 3.5 EB XLT with 9000 miles and it's doing fine. Shifts smooth and the 3.5 has plenty of power. I have the 3:55 gear and dropping the hammer in sport mode is pretty outrageous for a truck.
IMHO maintenance for these things should be 5k OCIs with full syn, and I run 89 or 91 fuel in it. So far zero oil consumption. Way less tail pipe soot with the dual injection, hopefully less soot in the oil too.
Internet forums will keep a person from buying any vehicle nowadays; doesn't matter the brand, the forums will scare you to death with what people post. And while all the complaining is going on, there thousands who drive their cars / trucks giving them dealer OLM maintenance with semi synthetic oil and doing just fine. Any brand, you might get a problem truck / car; it's been going on since they started building them.
Test drive carefully and make your decision.
I love mine....
[Linked Image]

I've got a 2017 with the 3.5L Ecoboost and the 10-speed tranny. No issues with the powertrain. Plenty of power and pulls double axle trailers just fine. My issues are the small things. Chrome rims are flaking! The rims are made in China! Ford is pushing back on replacing them so I've elevated it up to a regional manager. Sucks that you pay $50K for a Super crew lariat and then have to deal with this crap. My truck has 21K miles on it and the tires have never been changed -- Ford claimed that the chips must be from a tire machine! [censored]holes.

The biggest concerns with the older ecoboosts have been the timing chain stretch, guide issues. Since this is BITOG one would assume that our members would be johnny on the spot with maintenance and oil changes. I believe the biggest issue with those who have experienced issues with the timing chain, guides etc. have been lax when it comes to oil changes.

On the other hand I am a GM guy and feel more warm and fuzzy with simpler push rod engines (Ignore that dynamic fuel management....jury is out on that for sure
smirk2.gif
) Also, GM uses the same 10-speed tranny and it hasn't received the complaints that the Ford version has in online rants. But whatever you decide, good luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by double vanos
I've got an ‘18 3.5 EB XLT with 9000 miles and it's doing fine. Shifts smooth and the 3.5 has plenty of power. I have the 3:55 gear and dropping the hammer in sport mode is pretty outrageous for a truck.
IMHO maintenance for these things should be 5k OCIs with full syn, and I run 89 or 91 fuel in it. So far zero oil consumption. Way less tail pipe soot with the dual injection, hopefully less soot in the oil too.
Internet forums will keep a person from buying any vehicle nowadays; doesn't matter the brand, the forums will scare you to death with what people post. And while all the complaining is going on, there thousands who drive their cars / trucks giving them dealer OLM maintenance with semi synthetic oil and doing just fine. Any brand, you might get a problem truck / car; it's been going on since they started building them.
Test drive carefully and make your decision.
I love mine....
[Linked Image]

Great looking truck without all the silly chrome you see on lots of new trucks these days.

I have 3 F150's. The V8, the 3.5L EB and the 2.7EB. All are Supercrew.

The 2.7 with 10sp is an absolute gem. Love it. It's the most sporty and the fastest of the three. It also gets the best MPG. The 10sp transmission has no operational issues that I can detect, so I'm not sure what "excessive freeplay" the poster above is referring to. All tow very well, but the turbocharged engines clearly tow better, especially on long hills.

140K on the V8, 100K on the 3.5 and 20K on the 2.7. None have experienced any issues what so ever, and we don't treat them gently.

Fact is, I need a car, and I like these things so much, I'm thinking of purchasing another.... ugh.

Back