Scotty says two new tires go to the...

Status
Not open for further replies.
crazy2.gif

Yeah bunch of bs. Especially if you rotate tires, you could have them rotated then a week later decide you want two new tires and now the tires you just rotated are back where they were before.

I think having good tires on the front is better than the back, that way you don't rear end someone. Who cares that you can't accelerate as fast.

I'm still confused. What does a tire rotation have anything to do with brake problems? I would think there would be other problems with those tires if that was the case.

Everyone wants to stick to specific scenarios and act as though that's the only handling/stopping/etc scenario that matters.

Sometimes it is better to spin out, than lose the ability to steer from less tread on the front tires, and go out of your lane straight, at full speed head-on into the other lane, or a tree or barrier, or the road curves but you don't.

The key factor here is no matter where, which of your tires are, you should always be driving within the capabilities of your vehicle, in the state it's in, and the environment it's in.

Anyone can say some certain thing is more safe. We don't all wear helmets or have roll cages either, yet these are also more safe.

It's also less safe to not rotate your tires so you have uneven wear, so whether they start on the front or rear, they're going to be rotated to the other axle roughly 50% of the time anyway. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Last edited:
With front wheel drive, the front tires will always wear more, so if you follow the "good tires on the back", you would never rotate until the front tires were completely wear out.

Logic says you should rotate the tires so that they wear evenly and then you'll have reasonably even wear on all tires.

This is one time that I am with Scotty. When I buy new tires, the new go on the front.

Originally Posted by walterjay
This is one time that I am with Scotty. When I buy new tires, the new go on the front.

What if it's RWD?

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Here we go again, in spite of what the entire industry strongly recommends.
18.gif

Unfortunately, the ENTIRE INDUSTRY dumbs everything down to the lowest possible common denominator ...

The OH MY GOD the car is sliding a little let go of the steering wheel and scream with eyes closed "driver... ".

18.gif

Let me think … do I go with a Michelin recommendation or Scotty … ?
I best get four tires and not struggle with this

Doesn't the "entire industry" also recommend rotating tires ?

While I think those tires causing the problem is absolute nonsense, I have no problem that he rotated those tires.

If we can only have the best tires on the rear, we'd never rotate tires. A little variance isn't a problem.

According to the most experienced industry expert (the only one that counts)

https://www.tirebusiness.com/articl...-new-tires-on-rear-axiom-tire-age-debate

This discussion is almost completely moot in everyday driving, AKA the guy that developes standards and owns the store says that most requirements are a scam to sell more tires,

So there is an ounce of truth but not enough to actually matter in normal circumstances

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back