Coolant change on my PSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dealers want $400 and Indy shop does not want to do much work on diesel. I know it has two cooling systems.

The process is no more involved than normal vehicle. Times two.

The $400 is about right considering the primary cooling system has a 29.4qt capacity and the secondary system has a 12.4qt capacity. The VC3B is $22.35/gal so you need basically 11 gallons of coolant. Of course you could always upgrade to the Mishimoto radiators that don't leak and have a bigger capacity.

Rock Auto has VC3B for $17...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/motorcraft,VC3B,coolant+/+antifreeze,11393

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
The $400 is about right considering the primary cooling system has a 29.4qt capacity and the secondary system has a 12.4qt capacity. The VC3B is $22.35/gal so you need basically 11 gallons of coolant. Of course you could always upgrade to the Mishimoto radiators that don't leak and have a bigger capacity.

Don't be mad at me for mentioning this, but isn't the Specialty Orange RTU (50/50) VC3DILB? Just wondering, do your techs use distilled/deionized water to mix with their full strength coolant (like the VC3B)? I can never convince my dealership techs to use it, they don't seem to care enough to do it correctly...

How prevalent are the radiator leaks on the 6.7? My last upper oil pan repair they changed coolant and tech wrote in notes "no leaks at this time." Sounds like they expect a leak? So far no leaks on my 2014 F550 rolled over 30,300 on this trip.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle

Don't be mad at me for mentioning this, but isn't the Specialty Orange RTU (50/50) VC3DILB? Just wondering, do your techs use distilled/deionized water to mix with their full strength coolant (like the VC3B)? I can never convince my dealership techs to use it, they don't seem to care enough to do it correctly...

We have the carwash water that the techs use when adding to the coolant. Using the pre-mix would actually be more expensive in this instance based off the sheer quantity required.

Originally Posted by mbacfp

How prevalent are the radiator leaks on the 6.7? My last upper oil pan repair they changed coolant and tech wrote in notes "no leaks at this time." Sounds like they expect a leak? So far no leaks on my 2014 F550 rolled over 30,300 on this trip.

It isn't as bad as the 6.4L where we stocked them, but not uncommon. The "no leaks at this time" is legalese meaning at the time they looked at it there was nothing leaking.

What do the dealer do for $400 I wonder? Is it flushed with distilled water. Does the secondary system need to have it's coolant changed at same time?

Or the system completely drained and refilled.

The dealer said if it was not contaminated it would be $400. How does it get contaminated? ATF or motor oil get mixed?

The secondary system is for the EGR cooler, Charge Air Cooler (intercooler in normal speak), and the transmission cooler. Not as critical, but still worth changing,

Generally the system is drained and filled assuming there is no contamination. Contamination would be anything not coolant in the coolant. On the 6.0 diesel this could include casting sand which was why the coolant filters are such a popular add on part.

The secondary system is for the EGR cooler, Charge Air Cooler (intercooler in normal speak), and the transmission cooler. Not as critical, but still worth changing,

Generally the system is drained and filled assuming there is no contamination. Contamination would be anything not coolant in the coolant. On the 6.0 diesel this could include casting sand which was why the coolant filters are such a popular add on part.

When you say drained, does than mean they drain the radiator, block, heater core, etc? Then refill?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald

When you say drained, does than mean they drain the radiator, block, heater core, etc? Then refill?

You aren't really able to drain the heater core. Usually customers just want the radiator drained and filled, which gets a fair amount out. Pulling the block drains on a 6.7 results in a huge mess as per this video around 13:20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDl6frFx8DQ

Even if I paid the dealer I am not sure they would use distilled water vs tap water.

Would they get all the old coolant out then fill with new? Or drain the radiator and refill?

Do they get coolant bulk?

$400 seems mostly profit for them. Or 75%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back