Amazon sneakingly extends delivery date

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Prime and have lately noticed this. I order something and it initially says guaranteed Prime Friday delivery. I check back a few hours later and it becomes Saturday, even Sunday. In the past, Amazon would give a message saying something like sorry, delivery is delayed, we apologize, etc, etc. Now, they just quietly delay, not to mention, 2-day Prime is barely a thing anymore.

Anybody else notice this?

If anything Ive seen many items get much faster. They also provide a timeframe to order by to hit the target delivery time. If you order later, past that time, it will be delivered another day.

I don't know where "The Northeast" is, but if you're in the boonies, it may take longer and have tighter order time margins, than if you're closer to more large distribution centers.

Is the before or after you actually order the item ? When I look at actual Prime-eligible items, it tells me "Order with 14 hours and 19 minutes for delivery tomorrow" or whatever day is applicable for them to arrange it. Some items take (2) days, some longer. It all depends on where they have it in a warehouse. Once it's ordered though, I've only had (1) item (I think) that got delayed after they shipped it.

By the way, ever driven on the interstates recently and see all of the Amazon semis ? They are typically moving customer orders between distribution centers for final delivery. That's why some items will say you have to order within "x" hours, some say within "y" hours, and so on. They're coming from different locations before getting to your delivery hub.

I order quite a bit from Amazon and had pretty reliable delivery. Even stuff around Christmas was on time, or sometimes early. I do live in an area that has numerous warehouses close by, and maybe Im just lucky to order stuff stocked in those places.

Yes, I've seen (more and more lately) where items are Prime 2-day and the ship-date is (in very small print) a week or more out.

Read the fine print. Prime is 2-day SHIPPING, counting from SHIP DATE, on ITEMS SO MARKED.

Once it ships, if it gets delayed after that, then you can get some compensation.

At checkout, right before you do the final order submission, is your last best chance to find out when items are really expected to arrive. Once ordered, If it hasn't shipped yet, it's very easy to cancel. But their only real obligation is to get it to you 2 days after it ships, not after you order it.

I've been burned on otherwise identical sold-by-Amazon listings where one is Prime and one is not. Same price, even.

Amazon is all about efficiencies. Just like Walmart, it is starting to bite them. Walmart cut staff for efficiency to the point that last year, they didn't have enough people to get inventory out on the floor, it was standing in piles in boxes. That was REALLY efficient.

Now Amazon is taking a page from their book and only keeping in just enough in inventory and replenishing "just in time" to reduce warehouse size and the cost of standing inventory. Of course the customer suffers because "just in time" is often, not.

BTW I'm still a Prime member, but I also order from Walmart.com, NewEgg, fleaBay, or anywhere else that offers a better deal, genuine product (lots of fake branded products on Amazon), or faster delivery if that is the overriding concern. For sporting goods, I never order from Amazon, always from a place that strongly supports 2A rights.

I've given up on ordering Amazon's "Apple" chargers and cables. I always get a fake or just some other brand in white. This includes sold-by-Amazon listings. I've found Walmart.com is a reliable seller of Apple accessories. (I'm not a fan of Apple and their policies, but my family loves their products. I use an Android, which has its own issues).

I have had prime since it started.

I have noticed the delivery speed getting worse. However if you chat with prime support, they will usually refund your money and the item comes a few days later anyways. They typically do this for cheap items under 25 dollars or so.

They used to offer to extend your prime membership by one month for each late delivery but they no longer do that.

It's probably volume. As their sales go up they grow their delivery services, but that growth lags behind sales growth for many reasons. Not to mention it's the holidays with max sales right now.

Still quality products and pretty fast getting delivered.

Once you got Prime movies and Prime this and that, they have you. They don't care if you cancel so much, they have more subscribing. I called about what happens to the movies we purchased, and they said they are always yours. Well if you are no longer with Prime how do you log in to Prime to see them? Couldn't get the answer except they are yours.
I actually have been using Walmart online more lately. I trust Walmart more anyway as they are actually a physical store. if you buy spark plugs or an oil filter at WM the store you get a genuine retail product sourced from the USA distributor..

[censored] I get notified my stuff was delivered and it wasn't. Next day it shows up.
Usually when it is the rural mail carrier. Probably on them.
Not wanting to get out of the vehicle.

Then there are times I have things for days and days and it shows as enroute.

I live in the Denver/Colorado Springs metro, with Amazon distribution centers all around, and I too have noticed Prime being less 2 day delivery and more whenever we get it to you. Yes, some packages come on the next day, once in a while you hit the jackpot and it's same day. My wife just told me she got the renewal at $122/year... time to do some soul searching whether it is worth it or not.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Once you got Prime movies and Prime this and that, they have you. They don't care if you cancel so much, they have more subscribing. I called about what happens to the movies we purchased, and they said they are always yours. Well if you are no longer with Prime how do you log in to Prime to see them? Couldn't get the answer except they are yours.

You don't need to have Amazon Prime membership to watch your purchased movies/videos on Prime Video. Think of Prime Video as merely the name of their video service, and not a requirement to have Amazon Prime membership.

If you have Amazon Prime membership you have access to some shows/movies you otherwise cannot watch. You may also be entitled to some discounts on certain shows/movies. But you are not required to have Amazon Prime membership to watch shows/movies you have already purchased that are in your video library.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GZCHXL8CUW3VWJQP

Originally Posted by NothingNew
But you are not required to have Amazon Prime membership to watch shows/movies you have already purchased that are in your video library.

Exactly

Originally Posted by HangFire
Yes, I've seen (more and more lately) where items are Prime 2-day and the ship-date is (in very small print) a week or more out.
Come on, those items (that Amazon is out of stock of) are the exceptions, not the standard. It's not "very small print" either. Finally found one.... It's a Prime item, says "In stock on Jan 3, 2020" but doesn't give a ship date (until they physically receive, they don't want to commit to when they can get it to you). The note about when it will be in stock is actually larger font than normal. Maybe you're referring to something else....

I just checked (3) random items. Two said delivery on Friday with no time details and the third one said if ordered within 22 hours. I take it that two of the items are in stock at my nearest warehouse that serves my area and the 3rd is in a farther warehouse but will be moved closer (if I don't order within 22 hours, it will "miss the boat").

Granted, it would be more forthcoming if Amazon would give the reasons why something is being delivered outside of the 2 day window. This time of year weather is a factor for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back