Troque Pro App

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
Probably has been discussed here before, but I loaded it and picked up an OBD II Bluetooth adapter for the Caprice as it only has coolant temp and volts in the DIC.

I tried it out today. It works awesome. I can access a ton of stuff. I loaded it on a tablet that fits perfect in the car. Worth the 40 bucks.

I get oil temp, transmission temp, line pressure, oil pressure. The list goes on and on. Perfect tool for a modified car or your stock car that you want to monitor.

Couple of things surprised me. It has really good oil pressure, more than I expected and the trans temp stays lower than I would have thought.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I tried the Torque app some years back to see if I could get oil temp reading on my 530i. Unfortunately, no luck.

Sometimes they have manufacturer specific add on you have to install, also not all bluetooth adapters are equal..
for example a generic chinese elm327 vs a obdlink MX+

Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I tried the Torque app some years back to see if I could get oil temp reading on my 530i. Unfortunately, no luck.

Sometimes they have manufacturer specific add on you have to install, also not all bluetooth adapters are equal..
for example a generic chinese elm327 vs a obdlink MX+

I did a lot of research on this back then. Apparently, Torque support for my car was very limited. You had to pay big bucks for a tool with access to proprietary BMW codes. Alas, that was years ago. I haven't looked into it lately.

Another words, make sure you do the research about what functions are supported on your specific year/make/model before you buy the app.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Is this for android only? I'm looking for something to interface with an iPhone.

Unless it's changed it's android only along with a slew of other automotive apps for android only. Google android phones can access through bluetooth nowadays so the dongle on the obd port is no longer needed for the newest vehicles and google phone users with android auto.

I was actually surprised how much data I can get from it. It has GM specific setup with TONS of sensors monitored.

It is android only.

I have to try it without the dongle and see if it works.

I paid $5 for the Pro version of the app and another $5 for the Kia specific module. Gives me pretty much all I need and I like it a lot. It does take so playing with to configure it to maximum effect but worth it.

I used it pretty religiously back when I had my evo (MUT-III add-on required.) It was great and if you were savvy enough, you could even splice in a wideband and have the AFRs read through that instead of the OEM narrowband that came with the car.

Is this for android only? I'm looking for something to interface with an iPhone.

OBD Fusion is one counterpart for iOS. At this time, the only extended/factory specific 'extra' codes/info they support (in app purchase) are Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, Mazda, Nissan/Infiniti and Toyota/Lexus/Scion. Since I have a Toyota, it is fine for me.

Last edited:

Bluedriver works fine with iPhone's that have Bluetooth capability (iPhone 5 and up IIRC).

Originally Posted by ls1mike
Probably has been discussed here before, but I loaded it and picked up an OBD II Bluetooth adapter for the Caprice as it only has coolant temp and volts in the DIC.

Couple of things surprised me. It has really good oil pressure, more than I expected and the trans temp stays lower than I would have thought.

OP - I have the same car and also use TORQUE ap via my android phone.. There is an engineering mode in the DIC that you can access some more of the cars sensor info but its much easier to just use your AP. The Oil pressure on the L77 engine is higher than standard LS1 because of the oil pump they use on it which is for the DOD system.

If you are stuck on Iphones you can use the same type of aps with a device like this that makes a small wifi signal from the OBD port that you connect the phone to:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077F8F6TB/ref=psdc_15707381_t2_B07L4926C1

The person that mentioned cars connecting with bluetooth and using no device for the OBD port I have no idea how you are doing that and have also not seen any new vehicle that can connect Android Auto or Apple Carplay wirelessly? bluetooth does not have the ability to move that much information is what I have been told.

Last edited:
Agree, the 2.99 bluetooth dongle and 5 dollar pro upgrade were prolly the best 8 bucks I ever spent.

Originally Posted by XCIDMigs
Originally Posted by ls1mike

OP - I have the same car and also use TORQUE ap via my android phone.. There is an engineering mode in the DIC that you can access some more of the cars sensor info but its much easier to just use your AP. The Oil pressure on the L77 engine is higher than standard LS1 because of the oil pump they use on it which is for the DOD system.

I knew they ran higher, but I was surprised to see 48 psi at idle after a good romp. I suspected 42ish. The WS6 runs right around 40. My old 6.0 was right around 40. I can't use the truck as reference as it has a variable displacement pump and will drop to 28 at idle.

What year is yours? This is the first I have heard of the engineering mode. I am interested.

Do you still have the DOD stuff installed?

I have the torque lite app (free), and a $7 bluetooth dongle from ebay.

It works amazing, however it will not work on apple devices for some reason at all.

I keep an old samsung prepaid phone around and use it for torque, and keep it in my toolbox.

I don't do much diagnostics besides pulling codes and deleting them but I think everybody needs my setup in their toolbox for sure.

Originally Posted by JustinH

It works amazing, however it will not work on apple devices for some reason at all.

If you want to use a Bluetooth adapter with iOS, you need an adapter that supports Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). Your adapter likely is pre BT 4.0 and doesn't support BLE.

Apple requires a non Bluetooth audio devices that don't support BLE to use a special authentication chip (MFi). That adds cost which is why you don't see these cheap adapters supporting iOS. There is no such restriction on BLE in iOS.

Android auto wireless is available on some new cars and needs a Pixel phone for wireless use. That said the data is slow and a cable is recommended or other workarounds for the full benefit. Probably better served with an ELM dongle and an android OS on a tablet if you use an iphone. I knew nothing about this subject a few weeks ago. I have been intently studying it recently before I make my step into the cell phone world. I haven't bought a phone yet but am heavily leaning toward an android device for my specific needs.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Android auto wireless is available on some new cars and needs a Pixel phone for wireless use. That said the data is slow and a cable is recommended or other workarounds for the full benefit. Probably better served with an ELM dongle and an android OS on a tablet if you use an iphone. I knew nothing about this subject a few weeks ago. I have been intently studying it recently before I make my step into the cell phone world. I haven't bought a phone yet but am heavily leaning toward an android device for my specific needs.

I just got an S10. I love it. I hate apple stuff. My kids have it. I have a few Ipods. I just don't like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back