Minimum size subwoofer I can get away with

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am putting a new stereo in my truck/SUV.

I already received some good advice re: padding enclosures, etc. Here's what it is so far/will be:

a) head unit: JVC KD-T900BTS
b) Front doors: 6.5" three-way + 1" tweeter (built in crossover) in mirror 1/4 panel
c) Rear Pillars: 5.25" tree-way

I am thinking it could be helpful to take advantage of the head-unit's RCA outs to eliminate the bass signal to the other speakers and let them work more efficiently. I have two sets of RCA outs on the back of the unit, 1) "Front" and 2) "REAR/SW" (combined). The head unit allows me to select to send the subwoofer out the 2) connections (120hz cut-off) and still use the wire harness for my other speakers.

If I run RCA cables from that rear/sw to a single 6.5" sub under the back seat, will it be adequate and do what I want? I don't want/can't have a box in the rear cargo to interfere with my cargo space; I need it frequently.

Here's a cubby I have under the seats (pic below). This is not my truck, this is someone else with the same and what gave me the idea. I need some of that space, if I put a single sub on the far right side, make a side-wall in the compartment to make a box, would that be enough?

If so, how to do I power it (single mono amp or buy a powered sub?)

This is what someone else did:

subs.JPG

As long as you realize that you're not really going to get proper bass out of a single 6.5" driver (more like mid bass, maybe), then yeah, I think that should work.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
As long as you realize that you're not really going to get proper bass out of a single 6.5" driver (more like mid bass, maybe), then yeah, I think that should work.
I Agree no replacement for displacement. Just took the kids Mazda3 to town this morning duel 13.5 inch JL audio subs now that's bass you can hear and feel. I'd go no smaller than a 10 maybe a 8

Try to fit a quality 8" woofer at least. 6.5" woofers will likely not be worth the effort.

6.5" sub will add noticeable bass dimension to the music, but the level of improvement is largely dependent on how your full range speakers perform. In other words, if you have decent output from the front/rear speakers already, I don't think you'll be all that impressed by the addition of a 6.5". If the idea is to add a 6.5" woofer just to take bass frequencies away from the full range drivers, I don't think this is worth the time.

If the full range speakers perform poorly with bass frequencies, it might be worth the effort. 6.5" drivers have decent output in a ported / tuned enclosure-- I think you're limited to sealed enclosure (or as close as you can get to it) with the space you have in mind, the 6.5" will add some bass volume but not much.

I have a single cab pickup with a little 6.5" Rockville powered bass tube behind the seat. It was $60, and my expectations were low. But after tuning with my decent Kenwood head unit that has tons of EQs, high passes, and low passes, etc., it really sounds great.
I have heard plenty of "big" systems that were just boomy and buzzy. Mine might not shake the ground, but it sounds full and tight, playing anything from Fear Factory to Billie Eilish.
For a larger cab like an SUV/wagon, 6.5" might be too small. I'd go with 8 or 10, but tuning it is the most important thing.

Yeah … kid pumping gas today with his "system" left on …
I have heard better sound at the livestock auction barn …

My Durango and our van both have factory 8" subs and fill the vehicle very nicely without being obnoxious. The 300 has 2 factory 8" (one in the trunk, one in the deck) and it definitely hits harder, but it's also a slightly more powerful system in a far smaller space. I'd suggest 2 good quality 8" subs in a nice box. I prefer the sound of a sealed sub enclosure personally.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yeah … kid pumping gas today with his "system" left on …
I have heard better sound at the livestock auction barn …

Not defending the system you witnessed but most audio systems in vehicles don't sound good unless you're sitting in them.

If you just want to add a little more volume to the low end a separate amp feeding any sized speaker would help because it will be dedicated vs sharing the head units amp but if you want to rattle the neighbors windows you will need something bigger than a 6.5.

The box is just as important as the driver. You won't get adequate low end extension with a sealed enclosure, but a ported with a long port or a passive radiator and you'll squeeze out alot more bass from that 6.5" or 8". Sealed boxes are nice for how tight things sound and how easy it is to design, but you'll need a 10" for any meaningful output.

You can get some good sound out of a 6.5" sub, but you've got to know what you like and want before you build the enclosure, and it's got to be build solid, sealed, and tuned. I ran a 6.5" in my tundra center console, totally stealth. It was tuned to 40hz or so and went all the way down there, but at those frequencies it was not loud, but I didn't want loud - I wanted full. In doing so, cutting bass from all the door speakers was needed to get a clean sound - otherwise it was quite muddy. Doors were cut out below 120HZ.

IIRC I used a 1.1 cu ft enclosure, and the port was a flared 1x1.25" port around 7.5" inches long, with a dayton audio driver, with a small jbl amp.

The pic shown uses a non-reinforced resin lid as the speaker baffle, and I assume it just closes down without any kind of rigid clasp. It may have a "punch" to the sound but will hard to go low and smooth with any authority or definition. Replacing the lid with rigid lumber and caulking/bolting down would help -- BUT there's not enough volume behind it to allow for accurate low frequency response. Using 1 highest quality driver with proper porting, maybe 2 if they are small diameter, would provide a better starting point for SQ.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by meep

IIRC I used a 1.1 cu ft enclosure, and the port was a flared 1x1.25" port around 7.5" inches long, with a dayton audio driver, with a small jbl amp.

1.1 cubic feet is a lot for a 6.5". Years ago i did two .35 cubic foot sealed boxes with a JBL GTO 8" and it was really quite good. I made them from steel and they fit under the trim panels in the back of my T100 truck. They literally took up zero useable space because there was a large enough cavity there waiting to be used. With cabin gain they hit super low and really excelled in the mid bass/drum type sounds. I'd suggest you buy the JBL GTO 8" but they stopped making it! Sad really.

Alright, lots of good info here.

I ran a 6.5" in my tundra center console, totally stealth. It was tuned to 40hz or so and went all the way down there, but at those frequencies it was not loud, but I didn't want loud - I wanted full. In doing so, cutting bass from all the door speakers was needed to get a clean sound - otherwise it was quite muddy. Doors were cut out below 120HZ.

This was my thinking, but I see I need to study more about the enclosure and tuning it. I don't know anything about that. I will set this project aside a week or two until I get the system installed and sound-deadened as I plan, and have some time to listen to it. Then I'll revisit this with the idea I could install a 6.5" there if I tune it/build a better enclosure inside that floor cubby.

Thanks a lot to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back