New chainsaw with catalytic converter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a new Hitachi CS51EAP 50.1cc chainsaw and found a muffler fill of catalytic converter, I have never had a 2 cycle or any other small engine with a cat, can anyone share their experiences with this emission control on 2 strokes? After testing it I am impressed with the lack of smoke when using a 40:1 mix. Will running this mix be OK since it is a 50:1 engine but the manual says mixes up to 25:1 are acceptable. I got this what I think is a good price of $160 delivered and want to help it last.

I bought an echo chainsaw 2 years ago with the catalytic converter. I drilled out the cat and adjusted the mixture screws a little bit on the rich side supposed to let saw run better and longer!

Originally Posted by spasm3
I generally run 40:1 but i am now using amsoil sabre and i'm running 50:1 in my saws.

I am running the Amsoil Saber Pro at 42 :1

I read on another forum that the Catalytic Converter acts as a flame arrestor, so if it were taken off sparks would come out. I dont know if it is enough to start a fire, so others with more knowledge can chime in.

Leave the cat on - it also serves as a spark arrestor - one stray spark can start a fire.

My parents have a first gen Echo with a cat, and it's been pretty reliable for them. Use the pre-mix stuff unless you can get alcohol-free gas in PA.

Originally Posted by jeep58
I bought an echo chainsaw 2 years ago with the catalytic converter. I drilled out the cat and adjusted the mixture screws a little bit on the rich side supposed to let saw run better and longer!

I was thinking about doing this but it might be really loud. To bad, I can't find a muffler That will fit made without a cat it would have to have a Huge engine port opening to work.

I think I would not drill out the converter to save the environment. However, if the converter get clogged then I might consider bypassing it rather than spending $50+ to replace it. Ed

They've had them since echo changed from the grey machines to the orange ones back in like 2012. The mufflers don't seem to have any issues in fact imo they have less issues because the muffler runs nice and hot now and keeps it from getting carboned up. Although the spark arrestor still gets clogged solid and needs to be cleaned.

I think the newest ones made in the last couple years, now have some form of EGR, but I could be wrong. I know stihl has the 4mix machines so that makes them pretty epa friendly already being a 4 stroke with special bearings to still be able to run off the the 50:1 2 stroke oil, so I think the remaining 2 strokes needed to implement egr to make them compliant.

Your OPE is kind of a Tanaka (Hitachi bought it out during the great recession). I've been using a Tanaka weed wacker/pole saw/hedge trimmer 25 years more or less, the last several years at 50:1 (Tru Fuel) and I'd recommend you run it at that ratio also.

In the beginning I ran it at a richer ratio. After many hours the spark arrestor screen became carboned up enough to take the muffler off and burn it off. I burned off the muffler also, which seemed to kill the cat coating. Smoked more after that. I bought another muffler, but it took a very long time to get (6-12 months). I had the feeling I was the first person to ever order one.

Originally Posted by spackard
Your OPE is kind of a Tanaka (Hitachi bought it out during the great recession). I've been using a Tanaka weed wacker/pole saw/hedge trimmer 25 years more or less, the last several years at 50:1 (Tru Fuel) and I'd recommend you run it at that ratio also.

In the beginning, I ran it at a richer ratio. After many hours the spark arrestor screen became carboned up enough to take the muffler off and burn it off. I burned off the muffler also, which seemed to kill the cat coating. Smoked more after that. I bought another muffler, but it took a very long time to get (6-12 months). I had the feeling I was the first person to ever order one.

Thank you for the long term information. You are right this Hitachi saw is the same as a Tanaka saw, green and grey vs red and grey, even the model numbers are the same. When I researched the saw it seems now they are part of Metabo. I hope the outdoor power equipment lines will continue. I will start using a 50:1 mix after reading what you and others have said plus it will use the same fuel and my Husqvarna trimmer and blower so only one mix.

Hitachi changes name

My 2T scooter has a Cat, it has an airbleed that lets air into the exhaust on closed throttle. The exhaust runs much hotter than a 2T exhaust normally does. I'd like to cut it out, but is hard to get at.

My Husqvarna line trimmer is nearly 10 years old and has a catalyst pellet in the muffler. I run 40:1 with no issues. Every once in a while I'll work it hard to burn out the gum. If it clogged I always thought that I'd soak it in carb cleaner, but I have not had to do that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back