Which weight to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 cars that the OM calls for 5W-20 oil, a '06 Miata and a '07 Focus. Both cars are not driven hard and I'd like to keep both healthy until the wheels fall off.
So, the question for the group is .. should I continue to use 5W or switch to 0W as I understand that 0W has a better base stock? At present I'm using QSUD in both cars and both engines seem to like it. Your thoughts on winter rating and possibly, but not necessarily, a brand change .....

Last edited:
Well first off the winter rating is not a weight. And sometimes an oil with a 0W winter rating may use better base stocks, but that isn't guaranteed by any means.

Lastly the winter rating of the oil will not affect the longevity of the engine whatsoever, unless it is completely inappropriate for the ambient temperature. Changing out properly rated oil on an appropriate interval has a lot more to do with engine longevity than the winter rating or the base stock composition.

In a previous thread you were concerned about "slick" oils, correct? This falls under the same category of concern. I've gotten over 425K miles on my old SIenna and that had nothing to do with the winter rating of the oils I used.

IMO, your cars will last "until the wheels fall off," regardless if you use 5W or 0W. Do whatever helps you sleep better at night.

Oil grade, not weight.

You most likely won't realize any benefit using a 0w-xx oil in your part of the country, but it won't hurt anything either. Use whichever is cheaper or more convenient for you.

Originally Posted by Mar57
I have 2 cars that the OM calls for 5W-20 oil, a '06 Miata and a '07 Focus. Both cars are not driven hard and I'd like to keep both healthy until the wheels fall off.
So, the question for the group is .. should I continue to use 5W or switch to 0W as I understand that 0W has a better base stock? At present I'm using QSUD in both cars and both engines seem to like it. Your thoughts on winter rating and possibly, but not necessarily, a brand change .....

Your curent Quaker in 5w20 is working great and you may want to change.
Why are you trying to fix something that's neither broke or in-need of repair?
Stick with what's working great.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Well first off the winter rating is not a weight. And sometimes an oil with a 0W winter rating may use better base stocks, but that isn't guaranteed by any means.

Lastly the winter rating of the oil will not affect the longevity of the engine whatsoever, unless it is completely inappropriate for the ambient temperature. Changing out properly rated oil on an appropriate interval has a lot more to do with engine longevity than the winter rating or the base stock composition.

This..👆

OP - you might consider switching over to a HiMi formula for your +10yr old vehicles, if you're concerned about getting the most out of your engine. While a HiMi won't guarantee you'll see 300k miles any more than a regular formula will, it a) absolutely won't hurt anything and b) will help keep those engine seals in working order so you'll have at least a fighting chance at reaching +200k. Just food for thought...

Last edited:
Either will be fine
smile.gif

Originally Posted by talest
OP, use what it says on the cap.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke

What if we cannot find the oil specified on our oil caps?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SR5
talest said:

In that case, where no mention of oil grade exists, place two different grades next to the vehicle - call your dog outside and use the grade the dog doesn't pee on.

Originally Posted by SR5
Originally Posted by talest

[Linked Image]

...‚...‚...‚

An oil with an 0W rating is at least a blend. Synthetic oil is necessary for that 0W part.

Read that somewhere, maybe here at BITOG.

My 2¢

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back