Supertech 0w20 shortage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by NH73
All those newer GM pickup truck owners coming in to buy 8 qt. of it that Walmart wasn't anticipating.

Haha! Yeah I'd tend to agree with you, but if you belong to one of those GM truck forums (like me) and even mention Super Tech, you'll be laughed off the board. I just spent two days defending Rotella Gas Truck synthetic...and this was AFTER someone posted an extremely positive UOA from Blackstone...but because it wasn't Amsoil, it was termed "lawnmower oil".

Originally Posted by Railrust
All those newer GM pickup truck owners coming in to buy 8 qt. of it that Walmart wasn't anticipating.

Haha! Yeah I'd tend to agree with you, but if you belong to one of those GM truck forums (like me) and even mention Super Tech, you'll be laughed off the board. I just spent two days defending Rotella Gas Truck synthetic...and this was AFTER someone posted an extremely positive UOA from Blackstone...but because it wasn't Amsoil, it was termed "lawnmower oil".
What board was this? Were these all Amsoil dealers? Just tell them that as long as lawnmower oil passes DEXOS 1 GEN 2 it is fine by me. Or lawnmower oil has to stand up to more heat, it got to be more robust. So lawnmower oil is better than Amsoil.

Never 5w30 will stay here for next decade . It's the classic oil weight lol

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
The average car on the road is what, 13 years old? You'd think the shortage would come from 5w20 or 5w30.
The amount of vehicles coming unto our roads that require 0w20 is increasing, while 5w20/5w30 are plateau off or decreasing. Because of that, Walmart may not have correctly anticipated the demand for 0w20.

The average car on the road is what, 13 years old? You'd think the shortage would come from 5w20 or 5w30.
The amount of vehicles coming unto our roads that require 0w20 is increasing, while 5w20/5w30 are plateau off or decreasing. Because of that, Walmart may not have correctly anticipated the demand for 0w20.

This label would indicate you are on to something … We tend to think Walmart here … but when Costco puts this on sale it's in those big baskets

D0A3E8FE-0B7A-4F34-A7A8-F0BADDCA6FFD.png

Little different when the vehicle you are purchasing starts at around 50 grand. Those truck forum buyers laughing-off Supertech (overall) don't nickel and dime those expensive new trucks..... some 70-80 grand.

It's unbelievable in this place, how many members penny-pinch and nickel-dime, after buying expensive vehicles days after their warranty expires at 36-50K..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MetalSlug
Never 5w30 will stay here for next decade . It's the classic oil weight lol

I am not saying its going away. Even, 10w40 still here, but yet, there probably hardly a vehicle that recommends that that is still on the road. In fact, there are still new vehicles recommending 5w30. Ford's Ecoboost is one of them. But overall, there probably as many, if not more vehicles going to the junkyard, then driving off the dealers lot that recommend 5w30, where as vehicles that recommend 0w20 is increasing.

What board was this? Were these all Amsoil dealers? Just tell them that as long as lawnmower oil passes DEXOS 1 GEN 2 it is fine by me. Or lawnmower oil has to stand up to more heat, it got to be more robust. So lawnmower oil is better than Amsoil.

They don't understand the purpose of certs and approvals. Then again probably 99% of the oil buying public doesn't either. You could probably put a gallon of chicken crap in a bottle, slap a catchy label on it and some would buy it simply because it was priced more than the other. Thinking price = quality, or a high price guarantees longer engine life or some BS like that..

We have been conditioned to think that price = X, rather than employ objectivity.

Last edited:
Folks, this is a reminder that auto zone clearance and shell rebate for RGT is still goi g if they are still open.. I was still finding it all over in Texas but I am outa space.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Little different when the vehicle you are purchasing starts at around 50 grand. Those truck forum buyers laughing-off Supertech (overall) don't nickel and dime those expensive new trucks..... some 70-80 grand.

It's unbelievable in this place, how many members penny-pinch and nickel-dime, after buying expensive vehicles days after their warranty expires at 36-50K..

The members on those other forums need to be reminded that the SuperTech carries the "Dexos" label. That should end any arguments. There is nothing wrong with sensible money savings. Your motor will not blow up using Supertech-nor have a shorter life....unless someone can prove otherwise-which I doubt.

I would run ST synthetic in any new vehicle that it met the specs for.....in fact I'm recommending their 0w20 syn. to a family member who just bought a new Honda Accord 1.5T (not a 70 grand truck but still new)...It's less painful changing syn, out every 5 or 6K when it's $3 a quart everyday in the 5 qt. jug....and the PDS show it to be a very good oil.
I seriously doubt the engine would live any longer running far more expensive oils.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
Folks, this is a reminder that auto zone clearance and shell rebate for RGT is still goi g if they are still open.. I was still finding it all over in Texas but I am outa space.

When I went back to my AZ a week ago all the low cost oil was gone and all that was left in the store was mostly their $39 special with a cheap filter.

Transfer of a subpar/average oil from Wal-Mart to Costco is causing a temporary shortage!

I also haven't seen Chevron Supreme at Costco in a while ... I think they are dumping CS to make room for this. They probably don't want to allocate too much shelf space to engine oil.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Transfer of a subpar oil from Wal-Mart to Costco is causing a temporary shortage!

I also haven't seen Chevron Supreme at Costco in a while ... I think they are dumping CS to make room for this. They probably don't want to allocate too much shelf space to engine oil.

Subpar? LOL. It's perfectly good oil, and if I needed oil I'd use it with no hesitation!

I may use it in my "average" cars
grin2.gif

btw, I added average to be nice to the oil and the oil users ... lol
I doubt if it's above average or is an excellent oil. Average at best.

I have the advantage of traveling a big stretch of my state both interstate and back roads.,
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr

When I went back to my AZ a week ago all the low cost oil was gone and all that was left in the store was mostly their $39 special with a cheap filter.

I think my lights flickered when you typed this.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Transfer of a subpar/average oil from Wal-Mart to Costco is causing a temporary shortage!

Checking now online, showing available at three closest stores, and pick up at others Jan3. Seems no shortage locally. I'd imagine between WM, Amazon and Costco, keeping Warren Dist. busy.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

They don't understand the purpose of certs and approvals. Then again probably 99% of the oil buying public doesn't either. You could probably put a gallon of chicken crap in a bottle, slap a catchy label on it and some would buy it simply because it was priced more than the other. Thinking price = quality, or a high price guarantees longer engine life or some BS like that..

We have been conditioned to think that price = X, rather than employ objectivity.

I agree. A lot of the public doesn't. I once had a lady in the oil aisle, ask me which one 10w30 vs.10w40 is the one to use in the winter? (Probably something she heard from dad or men in her life). I asked what her OM said?, and she drew a blank. People having no clue what there vehicle require, walking into the oil aisle of the store is common. No wonder they be confused with Walmart selection. To some, they feel good using Amsoil, me, buying a good, required oil at a good price.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

. In my experience, more often than not, it holds true. But being an informed consumer is where it matters. I seem examples where people think that spending more will give than a better product, but they are not informed enough to realize that there is no benefit to them to spend the extra $.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back