2020 Ford 7.3L coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the pic of the new Ford 7.3L engine
The old orange/red color anti-freeze is gone and back is a lime green color. Anybody know if this change is across all engines or just the new 7.3 for 2020

D7A70946-F7CD-48E7-A17F-5D715EEB5221.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Have we circled back to G-05?

Negative, its a completely different coolant. But its confusing enough where I have caught the VC-7-B which is G-05 being billed and handed out on cars where it shouldn't and had to go switch bottles on the tech.

You guys think all the different kinds of ATF, oil, and coolant are hard to obsess over here online, try obsessing over it for a living and having to stock it all too. Plus we are Mazda so having to stock all of their fluids as well, and keep track of what goes where when Mazda won't allow parts personnel to access the shop manual.

The coolant named "Gold" on the bottle is labelled "Y" on the chart and "Yellow" in the notes.

The coolant named "Yellow" on the bottle is labelled "DY" in the chart and "Yellow" in the notes.

It's obviously clear and simple. I don't see how there can possibly be any confusion.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
The coolant named "Gold" on the bottle is labelled "Y" on the chart and "Yellow" in the notes.

The coolant named "Yellow" on the bottle is labelled "DY" in the chart and "Yellow" in the notes.

It's obviously clear and simple. I don't see how there can possibly be any confusion.
crackmeup2.gif

LOL!

My oil stash remains pretty relevant through the years, but I have to purge my coolant stash every time I trade cars. STANDARDIZE, already!

That ford chart is horrendous.. but others arent much better.. I think jeep/Chrysler has changed 3-4x in the last 5 years.

I remember orange, pink, and purple.. and maybe green? or yellow?

I wonder what the difference chemically is...gotta be something. F150 forums recently lit up over heater cores plugging up with some members speculating that the coolant change came about from that.

Originally Posted by double vanos
I wonder what the difference chemically is...gotta be something. F150 forums recently lit up over heater cores plugging up with some members speculating that the coolant change came about from that.

The new coolant is basically Prestone Corguard, it has Phosphates versus the former Orange which was basically Dexcool.

Originally Posted by Rand
That ford chart is horrendous.. but others arent much better.. I think jeep/Chrysler has changed 3-4x in the last 5 years.

I remember orange, pink, and purple.. and maybe green? or yellow?

I know they switched from G-05 to the purple OAT... On my 300, it looks orange when viewed through the reservoir, like the old G-05, but pop off the cap and look down it changes to purple!

Then there is this...
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by double vanos
I've read that the new DY AF is supposed to be the Prestone Corguard formula but I don't think that I've actually seen where that has been outright stated by Ford. I think some of it comes from the information that Ford was recommending using Prestone with some of the truck models and Transit that were using the orange and had heater core issues as mentioned. That said, 'if' the DY is Prestone still uses 2eha found in Dex, perhaps at a lower concentration.

As for Ford multiple specs and colors, imo part of it their own doing. Example with this latest DY, if it's good enough to replace Orange Dex, why not back spec it to all the Orange applications? If it really is Prestone, supposed to be a universal type AF anyway. I understand not back specing Orange Dex to G05 models, but not the latest move with DY.

At least they do have an AF chart as linked above showing the correct applications though. That helps somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back