Upgraded to a full size spare

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a used matching wheel on Offer Up for $50 and a $53 Sentury tire from Discount Tire. So after mount and balance and some elbow grease, this is my $130 full size 205/55/16 spare.

The wheel was pretty dirty and had tons of light scratches on the machined face. I spent a few hours Sunday deep cleaning the inside barrel and polishing the scratches from the face.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice that it fits. My wagon didn't come with a spare at all.

A 2006 Cadillac DTS spare has the same bolt pattern & offset cost me $35 from a yard. The 140/70-17 tire would only fit the well if it was deflated. I decided last month to replace it with a 120/70-17 from TR. Since the original was nearly 17 years old it was probably the better choice. A jack and breaker bar from Harbor Freight competed the job. Plenty of room for everything including the inflation kit, Glock entrenching tool, jump-pack, subwoofer and tools. Just not enough diameter for a full-size tire. All for about $160
[Linked Image]

Nice, OP. I did this to our 2010 BMW E90 328i M-sport, which comes with OEM run flats. Under the trunk panel there is no room for a spare tire of any size. Peace of mind is worth the loss of truck space.

Scott

IMG_1780.jpg

I did the same thing on our 2015 BMW 320i. I bought another matching rim and put a matching tire on it. It does take up most of the trunk.

A month after I set it up, one of the tires caught a nail.

I don't want to be coming home from Chicago on a late Sunday night and be stranded with a flat.

When I bought my 1985 Dodge Omni, it came with a lightweight spare with the option of upgrading to a full-sized spare for $50. Nope, I wasn't going to pay for it. After I wore the original tires down, I kept the best worn tire for a spare and replaced the lightweight tire with a full sized one. The original spare had the same size rim as the other tires, plus the well was big enough for a full sized tire.

a full size spare is a luxury today, but a "doughnut" is better than a can of fix-a-flat + the air pump that comes with many cars today, even $$$$ ones!! E-Bay is a good option for a wheel or more as well as i replaced my rusty steeley stored under my pickup with a nice matching aluminum OE wheel for cheep! buyer beware as a tire KIT can be bought by stealers for less than half they want for them after the sale

Love me a full size spare tire. I do a 5 tire rotation when I have the full sizer. PLUS, I love having the benefit of the full sizer if I happen to get a flat tire while out of town/vacation.

This lets me finish my trip and I may in fact repair the flat tire(if possible) at my leisure at the hotel or other destination with my tire plug kit that I keep in the trunk & my tire inflator. Gotta have them both in the vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sayjac
Nice work. Any tpms consideration for the full size spare and wheel? Or not applicable, or good to go.

My car uses the ABS type system.

Looks nice!

I'm looking at upgrading to any kind of spare for my wife's new Prius, from the compressor/tire repair kit it came with. Right, no spare tire!

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Nice, OP. I did this to our 2010 BMW E90 328i M-sport, which comes with OEM run flats. Under the trunk panel there is no room for a spare tire of any size. Peace of mind is worth the loss of truck space.

Scott

Wow that suks!.//

OP I have that same wagon and that was one of my mods for this year besides a roof bar set some more HP and brakes..... have you seen the OEM foam cutout for the space in front of the tire under the floor or are you using the low floor? I can't seem to work my floor on low with the big tire. I also relocated my jack and stuff to those side cubbies since they are low and useless for anything else, the side panel I stuffed with air compressor and towels.... Someone should make a thread just on "whats in your hatch"

Originally Posted by SLO_Town

Scott

Scott, where did you get wheel? I am looking around and apparently there is a difference between 328i and 328i xDrive. ECS has E46 spare wheel that should fit 328i but apparently does not fit 328i xDrive, although xDrive comes with same brakes and has 16" option too (actually I just ordered 16" wheels for snow tires and Viking 7's). Do you know anything about that there is any difference?

I have bought a few used wheels from eBay … couple were scratched but I wanted same size … not looks
With locking differentials … no chance I will carry undersized spares or fake tires … flats never come at a good time in life.

Originally Posted by 4WD
I have bought a few used wheels from eBay … couple were scratched but I wanted same size … not looks
With locking differentials … no chance I will carry undersized spares or fake tires … flats never come at a good time in life.

Well, it is not like 3 series has that much space to play with in the trunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back