Rislone Additive success??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any other products that might help would be appreciated as well. Not expecting it to work but a rebuilt transmission has been quoted $4 - 4,500 and a used one $2,5 - 3,000. Car is simply not worth that much so it may be scrap if no cheaper alternatives can be found.

Try the Bars Transmission Repair that comes in the weird two part bottle. That fixed a transmission for me once. Fixed it completely after about 20 minutes of driving with it in there and that "repair" lasted months.

Idk if the Rislone product is any different since Bars and Rislone are the same company.

Last edited:
No fluid was not changed recently was planning to do a transmission fluid change in the spring. Now it's slipping so I will do a fluid change and try an additive such as Bars or Rislone product and will look into the Trans - X too. Hoping for a low cost solution to get me by a little longer. 2001 with 175,000 miles. Like the car but not enough to put more into than it's worth.

I recently had success reviving a weak Honda transmission. It was shifting lazily and at low rpms, flaring on 2-3 and 3-4 upshifts. Here's what I did:

a) Added about 3~4 ozs of Chemtool B-12 to trans.
b) Let my 16 year old step-son practice parallel parking it for about an hour (this really helped!)
c) Next morning it was dramatically better (alternatively, drive it a week
wink.gif
).
d) Did a drain and fill with MaxLife, drove it another week.
e) Drained/filled again with Lubegard ATF

The transmission is now excellent, no flare, shifts firmly and at much better shift points - much higher than before. Each of the three steps had a distinct impact (additive, 1st d/f with Maxlife, 2nd d/f with Lubegard). The trans. is only 6.9 qts and you get about 3 qts with each d/f, so this was a substantial fluid swap even though only two drain/fills. I'll do a third with more Lubegard in 10 or 15k miles.

IDK Honda's well but the cw is the seals in the valve body get hard and can't make adequate line pressure. My experience seems to validate that as seal conditioning would happen with each step. I can't say if that's your problem, but this sure worked for me, but it wasn't as bad as your situation.

Last edited:
do 2 or 3 changes as you only get some of the fluid, cheep if you DIY it + use supertech from wallys

We had a 1991 Taurus with a bad transmission. Ford replaced it because it failed with fewer than 60K and was a Ford Program Car (a Budget Rent-A-Car fleet return).

Were they bad for 10 years of production?

I'd use one of the Lubeguard additive products before using Rislone. Lubeguard knows transmission and their stuff has a good track record of actually improving your transmission.

Originally Posted by spk2000
No fluid was not changed recently was planning to do a transmission fluid change in the spring. Now it's slipping so I will do a fluid change and try an additive such as Bars or Rislone product and will look into the Trans - X too. Hoping for a low cost solution to get me by a little longer. 2001 with 175,000 miles. Like the car but not enough to put more into than it's worth.

I have the same car as you actually, I'd do the pan drop and make sure you use Mercon V, but you'll get out less than half of the fluid. Have you ever topped off the tranny with, or used, a non Mercon V fluid?

Originally Posted by Kira
We had a 1991 Taurus with a bad transmission. Ford replaced it because it failed with fewer than 60K and was a Ford Program Car (a Budget Rent-A-Car fleet return).

Were they bad for 10 years of production?

No, it's a related but different transmission that was improved and pretty reliable, unless you use anything other than Mercon V...

This might help if you have Dex/Mercon III in it or something: Lubegard

Last edited:
Originally Posted by benjy
do 2 or 3 changes as you only get some of the fluid, cheep if you DIY it + use supertech from wallys

But it has to be Mercon V. Not just any Dex/Merc.
[Linked Image from i5.walmartimages.com]

You can also buy an aftermarket transmission pan for less than $50 with a drain-plug in it...

Slipping transmission = rebuild. You can try some aftermarket stuff and it may temporarily work but worn friction surfaces need replacement. You may try and monitor and increase the holding pressures for a longer repair.

Last edited by a moderator:
can't even make it up a driveway on a 19/20 year old car and slipping?

sounds like it has given up ghost to me, or something is blocked internally/cooler lines with sludge or friction material

if a filter change with fluid, with or without additives do not help, then...

ultra thick Lucas Transmission Fix which was designed as a hail-mary for failing transmissions that can not produce the required hydraulic pressure with spec viscosities is your last option

hard to diagnose over the internet, is the fluid burnt?
are you a diy'er?

many ways you can attack this op, depends on your motivation, all posters provided good advice

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back