Just used 2.5 year old brake fluid. Works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic
You guys could save a lot on your water bill if you drink your used brake fluid. Ever since I started drinking my used brake fluid, I've cut my water bill in half and I've won so many internet arguments. The health benefits are amazing!

I've also been collecting urine from all of the neighborhood stray cats and I'm going to use that as brake fluid next. Its going to give my car cat like reflexes, the stopping distance will be cut in half!

I like your style. You sneaked in right at the end and won the prize for the best post of 2019.
thankyou2.gif

This thread ........... what a way to end 2019 on bitog. It's got a bit of everything!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by user52165
Originally Posted by eyeofthetiger
Originally Posted by Dave9
That is quite the rambling piece of fiction.

Somewhere between OCD, and letting your brake system rot from the inside out, there is an actual correct way to maintain a hydraulic brake system.

So you are either too lazy to refute, or have no way of doing so. Sorry but that doesn't cut it.

There is no evidence to support your vague assertion of "rot from the inside out". In fact, normally brake lines rot from the outside in. It is rare to have a brake line failure where the outside was not crusty chunks falling off.

Please pretend that you have more data and experience than the OEM does, enough that they would risk brake system lawsuits by not shifting the burden of brake fluid changes onto the consumer. That makes no sense whatsoever, but I would enjoy reading that nonsense.

Further it is weasel words to vaguely imply there is a "correct way" when you can't substantiate that. The correct way is that proven by science, by decades of testing by OEMs. Again, do follow the OEM prescribed service intervals.

Your attempt at trolling (once you stated "rambling ... fiction") pretty much backfired. You cannot substantiate your vague delusion for a majority of drivers, and I did mention exceptions.

The truth is that normally brake fluid lasts the life of the brake components, and ironically (not so much), that is what most OEMs prescribe.

I want to hear of your specific use scenario where this didn't work for you. Then I won't buy that vehicle without upgrading their defective brakes.

I only give free advice to nice people. I already don't like you, so if you want more advice, you will have to pay me the full labor rate of $120/hour. In the mean time, try not to kill anyone with your ignorance.

Instead of attacking him, why don't you present some real information to refute his informed, well written argument?

You have offered nothing.

Rambling gibberish mixed with dangerous vehicle maintenance recommendations is not an argument, and it certainly isn't well written or informed. Anyone can get on the internet and make wild claims, but actually trying to pass it off as legitimate information is irresponsible.

If you want to know how to maintain a hydraulic brake system without going to trade school and becoming a professional mechanic like me, then order yourself a copy of SAE J1707

Originally Posted by wowthisexists
No, that's just what you've been told.
The fluid works perfectly fine, and the cars stops better than ever.

Hygroscopic is a bunch of BS best left for science nerds in labs.
NOT THE REAL WORLD. Can sat in my garage for almost 3 years.
Good as new.

Absolutely. It has been shown brake fluid hydroscopic nature is way overblown. Its about copper leaching out of the brake lines that cause damage. This probably greatly diminishes after an initial flush anyway.

BITOG ppl generally worry/obsess about everything wo any evidence/reason to do so. LOL

I only give free advice to nice people. I already don't like you, so if you want more advice, you will have to pay me the full labor rate of $120/hour. In the mean time, try not to kill anyone with your ignorance.

That is hilarious. You'd want me to pay you, to suit your delusion, when there is massive data about vehicle collision causes, and "old brake fluid" just doesn't hit the radar at all.

If anything, letting an idiot touch your brakes is the risk. An uninformed person who insists they are right, just might qualify as an id***.

[/quote]

If you want to know how to maintain a hydraulic brake system without going to trade school and becoming a professional mechanic like me, then order yourself a copy of SAE J1707[/quote]

Show me where that warns of dire risk of life "kill anyone" as you wrote, if the OEM service intervals are followed.

If you have any legitimate position, you should seek employment as a paid consultant for lawsuits deemed worth pursuing based on the rash of accidents based on old brake fluid.

OH, THERE ISN'T A RASH, so, you're hand waving and generally misinformed.

Why on earth would I ever pay someone who I'd never let touch any of my vehicles?

Let's be honest. You don't give free advice at all. You just suggest profitable repairs that may not be needed.

Clearly we need more stringent laws to limit who can hold a wrench in a professional capacity. This is not some **** measuring exercise, there is science at work here. I know, you don't want people to consider facts if it impacts your income.

Originally Posted by Rand
Did you make this post to just troll?

If he did, and who really cares, you fell for it hook, line, and sinker....
grin.gif

Originally Posted by wowthisexists
Somewhere between OCD, and letting your brake system rot from the inside out, there is an actual correct way to maintain a hydraulic brake system.

Yes, for me that solution is using brand new 2 year old brake fluid.

So the cap or seal had not been removed and this was a new, unopened bottle/can?

Last edited:
I would not use an old opened bottle of brake fluid. I have brake fluid boiling issues with new fluid, I'm not wasting my time putting anything in that isn't the best it can possibly be. Maybe if I did fewer track days, and/or drove like an old person, I would use cheap and/or old brake fluid.

I spend nearly a thousand dollars on brake components annually, about $50 of that is on new ATE fluid. I don't think it's worth the risk.

You can do whatever you want, I just hope you don't run into me at the bottom of a mountain pass.

I've used several year old, previously opened, brake fluid. Maybe it boils at 400 instead of 475 degrees. On a regular car, I can't tell.

Sometimes I leave the cap off my open bottles so they fill back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back