"You'll have to pay your Roku licensing fee."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Girlfriend had a six year old Roku box. Got a notice from Roku that it would no longer be supported and they offered a replacement for half price. She let the exchange date expire so thought it was best to buy one of those $120 TCL 32" smart TV's from Wally World to replace her 24 incher.

We were walking out on the parking lot and an elderly couple (I'm probably older) approached us and asked us if we were aware of the sixty dollar Roku licensing fee. They assured us that it would have to be paid.

I said "yeah, sure", but took about a minute to Google "Roku licensing fee scam", and as I suspected, all sorts of hits came up. I looked at the lot trying to see them and warn them to contact their credit card company to flip the purchase and cancel their card, but they were long gone.

Question: Has anyone ever been approached about paying their one time Roku licensing fee? Did the bad guys just spam a hundred thousand people hoping that someone had just bought a Roku? Are their crooks in the store or at Roku who turn purchase info in?

There's two kinds of geezers, cynical questioning geezers (like me), and sucker geezers (like them, and I'm afraid my girlfriend). When I was a boy in rural South Dakota it was rumored that Hobos would put marks on trees in people's front yards indicating that a sucker lived in the house. I'm wondering if falling for this idiotic scam will make them future victims when the word gets out.

Reactions: JC1
Originally Posted by csandste
Question: Has anyone ever been approached about paying their one time Roku licensing fee?
Not me personally, but there was a member here (Sierra?) that got hit by some scammers when looking for help setting up his first Roku. Apparently he may have clicked on some suspect link that looked like official Roku website, and ended up getting "tech support" from scam Roku support team.

There is no such thing of a Roku licensing fee, its a scam. Once you buy the device, you do not have to pay any other Roku fees, only the apps for which you have to pay a subscription for.

Originally Posted by volk06
There is no such thing of a Roku licensing fee, its a scam. Once you buy the device, you do not have to pay any other Roku fees, only the apps for which you have to pay a subscription for.

Concur; I have had a Roku Premiere+ for a number of years and there are no fees associated with the Roku device itself. There are costs for programming such as HBO, Disney, etc. but those are not due to Roku, they cost regardless of the streaming hardware/software used.

I have 3 Roku devices and no licensing fee. They do want a credit card in case you request a service that costs money.

But who knows about the TVs with a built-in Roku, They might have a licensing fee, no idea.

I much prefer the Roku device over the smart TV for streaming. So in my case I am not using the smart portion of TV, just the monitor and separate Roku.

Originally Posted by Donald
I have 3 Roku devices and no licensing fee. They do want a credit card in case you request a service that costs money.

But who knows about the TVs with a built-in Roku, They might have a licensing fee, no idea.

I much prefer the Roku device over the smart TV for streaming. So in my case I am not using the smart portion of TV, just the monitor and separate Roku.

The TCL tvs not not have the fee.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Does the Roku work better than the TV or Dish Hopper streaming?

There are DVRs that will stream wireless to any TV in your home with a ROKU DEVICE. They are Tablos, Tivos, HD-Homerun among others.

It depends on what you want to accomplish. I "cut the cord" 6 months ago. I have Internet through ComCast (no other choices). I use a roof mounted OTA antenna-and various steaming services. I have a Tablo DVR (OTA recording) and then ROKUS for my 4 TVs. I bought a "smart TV a year ago. ANd I have found what others have said-that the software for smart TVs is not updated-so you get issues. So I am using a ROKU on my smart TV as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by volk06

i knew that but the guy on the lot didn't.

My question wasn't whether there was a licensing fee for consumers ( I'm sure the set makers pay) but whether someone had run into a scam attempt and whether it was a blind spam or some kind of inside attempt of referring recent customers. Unfortunately the people who "warned me" were gone before my "Roku license scam" Google search was completed.

The Roku device is consistently rated as the best streaming device on the market with the best menu screens and fastest processors . I've tried streaming through numerous smart TV's and smart DVD players and they all suck. It's worth it to buy a Roku on sale during the Black Friday deals. They are half off. I have three TVs in my home and three Roku devices. I also have Amazon fire tv sticks for certain content that is not available on the Roku, but find them to be inferior to Roku.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
The Roku device is consistently rated as the best streaming device on the market with the best menu screens and fastest processors . I've tried streaming through numerous smart TV's and smart DVD players and they all suck. It's worth it to buy a Roku on sale during the Black Friday deals. They are half off. I have three TVs in my home and three Roku devices. I also have Amazon fire tv sticks for certain content that is not available on the Roku, but find them to be inferior to Roku.

I have a Roku, but struggle with it a little. I mainly want to watch French and German TV, especially the Arte channel.

How is Sling? Is it worth the subscription price?

Since this keeps drifting, the origal post wasn't about Roku or whether you had to pay a licensing fee (you don't) . It was whether anyone had witnessed a scam attempt and whether it came after you bought a Roku.

Last edited:
Since this keeps drifting, the origal post wasn't about Roku or whether you had to pay a licensing fee (you don't) . It was whether anyone had witnessed a scam attempt and whether it came after you bought a Roku.

I have two TCL sets with Roku built-in. No licensing fee ever required.

Originally Posted by SJUMBA

I have two TCL sets with Roku built-in. No licensing fee ever required.

The OP is asking if you've ever witnessed a Roku related scam attempt.

Since this keeps drifting, the origal post wasn't about Roku or whether you had to pay a licensing fee (you don't) . It was whether anyone had

witnessed a scam attempt and whether it came after you bought a Roku.

OK, back on topic. I have had my ROKU and never ever had a license fee at all. Never witnessed a scam. I love my ROKU btw

I've had a Roku for several years, as has my Mom and my Dad. None of us have seen such a scam, yet.
If it worked once, they'll be at it more.

Originally Posted by ET16
I have a Roku, but struggle with it a little. I mainly want to watch French and German TV, especially the Arte channel.

How is Sling? Is it worth the subscription price?

Well, I have subscribed to Sling and YouTube TV and IMHO, Sling was worse overall compared to YTTV. Resolution intermittently would downgrade to SD from Sling for no apparent reason...this while another TV using YTTV played same channel content at HD.

Second thing was having to purchase DVR space for Sling. YTTV gives unlimited for free.

Third thing, and to me most critical, you couldn't live pause Sling. Deal breaker all around.

Sling, though, has a wider channel lineup than most other streaming services and does include NFL Network, which YTTV doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back