AC Clicking Every 20 Seconds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I am idling in my GX470, the AC "Compressor" clicks every 20 seconds. Like clockwork. Click...20 seconds go by....Click...

AC seems to be working fine. If I turn off the AC, the clicking goes away.

Is there a problem?

No problem. They have been doing that for decades. For fuel economy reasons the system will cycle on and off.

Thanks! I have never noticed it on my other cars. Just thought it was odd it does it that frequently.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Thanks! I have never noticed it on my other cars. Just thought it was odd it does it that frequently.

It will do it less or even not at all on a warmer day.

in my Mazda you can hear it too all the time; while in CRV you cannot noticing it unless you pay close attention to the rpm pointer

I noticed it after I changed the oil yesterday. And it was cold. This is my Wife's car and I don't drive it much. I'm gonna see if it does it when the engine is warmed up.

Just started my first run of Shell Gas & Truck.
banana2.gif

Last edited:
I noticed it after I changed the oil yesterday. And it was cold. This is my Wife's car and I don't drive it much. I'm gonna see if it does it when the engine is warmed up.

So you think it is related to the oil?

Originally Posted by kschachn

So you think it is related to the oil?

You crack me up
crackmeup2.gif

I bought some Rotella Gas Truck I hope my a/c pump won't develop a problem. Should I return the oil?
grin2.gif

While I am idling in my GX470, the AC "Compressor" clicks every 20 seconds. Like clockwork. Click...20 seconds go by....Click...

AC seems to be working fine. If I turn off the AC, the clicking goes away.

Is there a problem?

Sounds like a bad blend door actuator. The cheap plastic gear teeth may have stripped.

Originally Posted by Cressida

Sounds like a bad blend door actuator. The cheap plastic gear teeth may have stripped.

Yes, or possibly also the a/c clutch relay in the fuse box. Both are weak points on Toyotas of a certain generation (especially if this is an early GX).

a) there is a replacement a/c clutch relay for '00 generation Toyotas, a few dollars on ebay, etc.

b) The blend door servo motors get copper debris on the wheels, and it confuses the sensors. Take them out, clean them, re-grease with dielectric grease and this solves the problem.

It sounds like one of these two problems.

Guess what's on my to-do list later this week? Yep, fixing the climate control servo motors in the ES...
wink.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
No problem. They have been doing that for decades. For fuel economy reasons the system will cycle on and off.

True. It's the clutch engaging is what is making the noise.

It is normal in cool weather. Do not add refrigerant. There's a really simple golden rule to auto A/C: If you're getting cold air, leave it alone.

Originally Posted by mk378
It is normal in cool weather. Do not add refrigerant. There's a really simple golden rule to auto A/C: If you're getting cold air, leave it alone.

100%

Unless you have the proper knowledge and expertise leave it alone.

Originally Posted by CT8
I bought some Rotella Gas Truck I hope my a/c pump won't develop a problem. Should I return the oil?
grin2.gif

I was just so excited to be using my first 6 qts of RGT I just had to tell y'all. I got 35 more qts to go.
19.gif

Originally Posted by CT8
grin2.gif

I was just so excited to be using my first 6 qts of RGT I just had to tell y'all. I got 35 more qts to go.
19.gif

100% normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back