Fram Ultra vs Mobil 1 EP Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by rsalan
Hello BITOGers,

I used to frequent this forum back when Purolator PureOne was BITOG's darling. So naturally, when I purchased my 5.0 Mustang I got the Purolator BOSS for my first oil change. I got back on this forum recently and noticed everything has turned on its side: Fram Ultra is now king and Puros are now "Tearolators" (with bad customer relations)..

Anyways, for my next oil change I'm deciding between the Fram Ultra XG10575 ($9.63) vs the Mobil 1 EP M1-212A ($9.97). As you can see, pricing is basically equal. Which one is better?

I like the m1 much better personally. It has a strong synthetic cellulose blended media which may provide more efficient filteing sooner than a full synthetic media can. Thats gonna be argued and disputed here aggressively but there is a good argument supporting that theory. It's made to last for 20k and personal experience has proven it can. Neither filter has the most ideal by pass valve design in my opinion but the m1 has it bult into the media which is a better design than the ultras. Ultra has a separate bypass valve mechanisms. It's built into the leaf spring and has to fit into the center tube. It creates an extra point of potential leak by. It just butts up to a felt(I guess) gasket, if ya wanna call it that, to the end cap. M1 has an equally good anti drain back valve. M1 has a far superior can or casing. Built like a brick. The mobile 1 is only$1 more at Walmart than the ultra. The extra metal alone is worth that and I'd pay $3 or $4 more even. But just$1 gets you the upgrade.

My 2010 was an aluminum block and that gen did not have this new pump nor the higher psi PRV that my 2017 & 2018 engines do … currently using up some AC Delco filters before switching to something else …

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I have the same question as the OP but slightly different situation. For me, the only Fram Ultra filter I can find for my truck is a short 3.3" filter (XG3506) vs the Mobil 1 filter is 4.2" tall (M-206A). Would the Fram Ultra filter still be preferred even if it's nearly an inch shorter?

Both filters are good for 20,000 miles. On a clean engine, they can go nearer 40,000 miles. So the Ultra is probably ok for you.

If you're going to do about 10,000 miles, consider the Toughguard instead.

Originally Posted by rsalan
Hello BITOGers,

I used to frequent this forum back when Purolator PureOne was BITOG's darling. So naturally, when I purchased my 5.0 Mustang I got the Purolator BOSS for my first oil change. I got back on this forum recently and noticed everything has turned on its side: Fram Ultra is now king and Puros are now "Tearolators" (with bad customer relations)..

Anyways, for my next oil change I'm deciding between the Fram Ultra XG10575 ($9.63) vs the Mobil 1 EP M1-212A ($9.97). As you can see, pricing is basically equal. Which one is better?

Ultra is all round better, but if you're doing 10k to 15k miles and your engine is clean (which it should be on a 2017), then a Toughguard will do the same, if not a better job.

An Ultra is the best choice when you're doing high mileage ocis and / or multi year ocis.

Using a Fram Ultra and a extended performance oil, are you saying taking it to let's say 15,000/annual is giving less filtration performance? Money not being an object. Considering this on my 4Runner with a 2UZ-FE, very clean low mile V8. Just have a hard time mentally with long OCI's.

I use to run Mobil 1 filters, and although they are still a good choice I feel as though the quality has dipped as of late.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I have the same question as the OP but slightly different situation. For me, the only Fram Ultra filter I can find for my truck is a short 3.3" filter (XG3506) vs the Mobil 1 filter is 4.2" tall (M-206A). Would the Fram Ultra filter still be preferred even if it's nearly an inch shorter?

I'm curious a out this as well. I've always run the Mobil 1 without issue and decided to change over to the Fram Ultra. The Fram is shorter than the Mobil 1 as mentioned. Cut both open and the filter media is also shorter (from cap to base).

I think the Mobil 1 is all around better. Champ labs Mobil 1 has a sturdy base and gasket, thicker can, and uses cellulose in the mix. If Mobil 1 thinks cellulose blend to their specs is best for filtration, I trust that. The Ultra is not problem free mechanically from recent posts. Mainly the adbv seal, example of leaking, with proof, found.

I still think the Ultra is a better filter with the wire backed dual layer synthetic media....but I got tired of having to crush the can to get the things off (hand tightened - no gorilla - and welllllll lubed).

The Mobil 1 is obviously a quality filter (far more efficient than the OEM filters) and I like the robust construction.

I think it's more about comfort level than anything - do you want slightly better efficiency or the built like a tank casing?

I use Fram ultras on one vehicle and Mobil 1 on the other.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
I think the Mobil 1 is all around better. Champ labs Mobil 1 has a sturdy base and gasket, thicker can, and uses cellulose in the mix. If Mobil 1 thinks cellulose blend to their specs is best for filtration, I trust that. The Ultra is not problem free mechanically from recent posts. Mainly the adbv seal, example of leaking, with proof, found.

Lots of filter brands experience a bad ADBV or other mechanical issues now and then. There's nothing wrong with the design.

what about the m1 cartridge? i just grabbed some on clearance at WM for $3.99 each for an 18 charger 3.6. should i use them or get the FU? OCI's would be
6-7500 miles

Originally Posted by joel95ex
what about the m1 cartridge? i just grabbed some on clearance at WM for $3.99 each for an 18 charger 3.6. should i use them or get the FU? OCI's would be
6-7500 miles

You'll be able to run the Mobil 1 Oil filters with no issues.

Please refer to Oil Filter Forum Rules at top of main page.

After removing the belligerent posts and quotes and changing the Fram Ultra acronym and abbreviations.

Those rules have been posted for over six months, that it was neccessary to do either is ridiculous.

So how many reports has anyone seen here that shows any can on any oil filter fail - besides being impacted because it was exposed to shrapnel? If anyone can find a report, please post the thread link.

Never seen one … had one rust enough where it was certainly weaker … but did not fail

(Not going to say what brand, but a white filter with a 1" nut)

what about the m1 cartridge? i just grabbed some on clearance at WM for $3.99 each for an 18 charger 3.6. should i use them or get the XG? OCI's would be
6-7500 miles

Congrats on the great price.
I don't believe anyone would believe that either would let you down.
Run 'em.

Originally Posted by M56959

After removing the belligerent posts and quotes and changing the Fram Ultra acronym and abbreviations.

Those rules have been posted for over six months, that it was neccessary to do either is ridiculous.

sorry. i've been gone for a while and didn't realize this became an issue. i work in the medical field and we have been using "FU" for follow-up lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
So how many reports has anyone seen here that shows any can on any oil filter fail - besides being impacted because it was exposed to shrapnel? If anyone can find a report, please post the thread link.

Wish I saved the STP that blew the can off. It was correct for the application. Can blew off leaving the tapping plate screwed to the mount. Had to chisel it off in a rotational direction with a hammer and flat screwdriver, in the mud on my back in an off road park. Once I got another filter and oil back in it, it was knocking. Damage done. I would say this was almost 20 years ago. No link to a thread unfortunately.

Last edited:

sorry. i've been gone for a while and didn't realize this became an issue. i work in the medical field and we have been using "FU" for follow-up lol

Same here. I am guilty of using the bad Fram abbreviation lately and now that I am aware I will make the necessary adjustment.

I haven't frequented the site as much as I use to this past year and was unaware of the "new" rules that were posted in June.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back