Continental TrueContact vs ControlContact tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got Michelin Defenders M&S from Discount Tires for my 2016 Honda CRV that I don't like because of their harsh bumpy ride. Discount Tires is letting me do an exchange and I want to get Continentals this time. I liked ControlContacts on their site but then I looked at TrueContacts, which also sounds very similar. Has anyone had an experience with either of them or both? I am confused what's the difference between these two and which one is a nicer tire. The price point is not very different. The TrueContacts are $8 cheaper per tire.

Just to let you know Discount Tire exclusive tires with Continental are a plus, not a minus. I have been a Continental tire buyer for 2 decades and I had a problem with some Extreme DWS 06 and the manager I know said to get our Contact Sport A/S they are superior to those because we (discount tire ) have higher specs rubber compound and from what we could tell their tire had a quad mold vs a multi mold, so the tire is not as stressed when pulling it from the mold then some of Continental uses because of their buying power.

Plus the exclusive tire had a stiffer sidewall then the Extreme DWS and there for handled better then the famous Extreme DWS 06. I live in Minneapolis too. And the Continental Sport A/S is my dedicated winter tire on my OEM rims, with aftermarket wider rims and tires for the summer.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The ControlContact is the DT-exclusive version of the TrueContact

Are they pretty much the same tire then? I think the ControlContact has an H rating while the TrueContact has a T rating. Would that make a difference in the ride quality?

Originally Posted by Mainia
Just to let you know Discount Tire exclusive tires with Continental are a plus, not a minus. I have been a Continental tire buyer for 2 decades and I had a problem with some Extreme DWS 06 and the manager I know said to get our Contact Sport A/S they are superior to those because we (discount tire ) have higher specs rubber compound and from what we could tell their tire had a quad mold vs a multi mold, so the tire is not as stressed when pulling it from the mold then some of Continental uses because of their buying power.

Plus the exclusive tire had a stiffer sidewall then the Extreme DWS and there for handled better then the famous Extreme DWS 06. I live in Minneapolis too. And the Continental Sport A/S is my dedicated winter tire on my OEM rims, with aftermarket wider rims and tires for the summer.

That's good to know that you are in Minneapolis also! I have Michelin Defenders on my car right now that did great in today's icky weather but are a rough ride. I can't imagine driving them year round. I am looking at the Continental ControlContact Tour version of those tires. What would be the difference between the touring version and the Sport version? Would a stiffer sidewall mean a rougher ride? I know nothing about tires.

Just traded in my Sonata and had 12k miles on the Continental True Contacts. Was very happy with them.

I had a set of the DT exclusive Contis on the 240 wagon. The ride was more harsh and the tire noise higher than a previous set of TrueContacts and the Michelin Defenders now on the car.

The Defenders and TrueContacts seem to offer the same performance.

That said, the Bridgestone Serenity Plus are still the quietest, smoothest set of tires I have ever run.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mainia

Brrr! I hope you didn't get frostbite from that snowjob!

I can not imagine why a tire manufacturer would not put its best compound in its mainline products, while offering a better tire to a single - albeit very large - tire dealer. Makes no sense.

Originally Posted by Sam_Julier
I had a set of the DT exclusive Contis on the 240 wagon. The ride was more harsh and the tire noise higher than a previous set of TrueContacts and the Michelin Defenders now on the car.

The Defenders and TrueContacts seem to offer the same performance.

That said, the Bridgestone Serenity Plus are still the quietest, smoothest set of tires I have ever run.

Did you specifically have the ControlContacts? Were the TrueContacts a softer ride at all than the Defenders?

I have the true contacts on mine, H rated. Stiff sidewalls, but smooth and very quiet ride. Excellent wet performance, haven't had any snow yet to test. Corners great.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
I have the true contacts on mine, H rated. Stiff sidewalls, but smooth and very quiet ride. Excellent wet performance, haven't had any snow yet to test. Corners great.

Thank you so much! This really helps because I think that's the only difference between ControlContact A/S Plus and TrueContact Tour for my vehicle at Discount Tire. ControlContacts are H rated and TrueContacts are T rated. By smooth do you mean you don't feel many bumps on the road?

Last edited:
I don't know about the "T" rated Truecontacts, mine are "H" rated. But instead of the 'bang' sound you get hitting a bump, its more of a dull thud now. Steering is alittle easier, as it is a harder tire (for mileage, of course), but I am not dissatisfied with it at all. It doesn't ride rough to me, The Elantra is not the smoothest ride there is, but it is markedly better than the kumho or the RT43's that have been on it previously.

I don't know about the "T" rated Truecontacts, mine are "H" rated. But instead of the 'bang' sound you get hitting a bump, its more of a dull thud now. Steering is alittle easier, as it is a harder tire (for mileage, of course), but I am not dissatisfied with it at all. It doesn't ride rough to me, The Elantra is not the smoothest ride there is, but it is markedly better than the kumho or the RT43's that have been on it previously.

Yes, exactly that bang sound when you hit a bump. I have Michelin Defenders right now that I am going to exchange at Discount Tire because of the bumpy ride.

Originally Posted by cherrypeach

Yes, exactly that bang sound when you hit a bump. I have Michelin Defenders right now that I am going to exchange at Discount Tire because of the bumpy ride.

Hate to say it, but I don't think you will find a significant improvement with the Continentals.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by cherrypeach

Hate to say it, but I don't think you will find a significant improvement with the Continentals.

Why do you say that?

So have you decided on a tire?

I did get the ControlContact on Tuesday. So far I like them. We had a snowstorm on Monday so the roads were pretty icy on Tuesday and I think the tires did ok. The temperatures went up on Wednesday and all the ice turned into slush, but they were good on wet slushy roads also. They are so much more comfortable than the Michelin Defenders I exchanged them for. I do feel the bumps somewhat because MN roads are terrible but nowhere what I was feeling with the Michelins. It's a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back