iPhone 7 plus screen replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
The screen in my son's phone got smashed a while back, despite having a tempered glass screen protector.
I got a $30 kit from amazon that had pretty good reviews. All in all it was a pretty easy job, although one has to pay attention to screws as Apple uses different lengths. I had to swap the front camera, speaker and the connecting ribbon. Everything else was included on the screen. I'm happy with the outcome.

The replacement screen is inferior to the original, but for 30 buck I was not expecting to be blown away. It is not bad though and if I haven't seen the original I would probably not know any difference.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is the kit I used.
[Linked Image]

Needs a better case-I have used 4 different Otterbox Defenders, they make the phone a little bigger-but I've never damaged a screen with one yet! The cases crack, but the phone itself survives.

I had a iPhone 5 in an Otterbox Defender case. I left it on top of my car, and when I got on the highway and hit 60 mph I heard a "thump thump" . Glancing in the rear view mirror I saw the phone sailing in the air and landed on the highway. I immediately pulled over, ran back to the phone, at which point I tried to do a Frogger to grab the phone. Somebody had sent me a text message and I saw it pop up on the phone, clear as day on the road, so the phone still worked and the screen must have been mostly ok. I was just ONE truck too late: a pickup truck ran over it. Other than the hundreds of sharp edges on the glass, the phone still worked fine.

According to my buddy who was a corp store manager AT&T Mobility , the Otterbox brand seemed to have the lowest damage rate of the phone cases at the time, but this was 4-5 years ago . Do be careful on Otterbox products as there are a lot of counterfeits.

Last edited:
When you started posting pics, I thought you would be including pics of the surgery. Would like to see the innards and the procedure....... microscopic parts? Tiny tools, etc.

Originally Posted by user52165
When you started posting pics, I thought you would be including pics of the surgery. Would like to see the innards and the procedure....... microscopic parts? Tiny tools, etc.

Check out ifixit.com's tear downs. They go super in depth describing everything, but just looking at the pictures is cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back