Oil Filter Wrench Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only have Toyota and Lexus cars. I can use those big evil looking pliers to take off most of my canister filters. What do you recommend to remove the canister filters where the pliers won't fit? I'm gonna have to have that end cap style on the GX470.

What do you recommend for the cars that don't have canister filters?

Thanks!

It depends on what the access is like. I use a end cap wrench on one screw on filter and a band wrench on the other,

I have been changing oil since around 1970 on my own vehicles. I just keep buying new wrenches if the ones I have do not work on the latest car I bought. I have many now.

I do try and remove by hand first. As I get older that works less and less.

Gotta use an end cap. It appears that I can get wrenches that will work on both the cartridge style filters and the other plain paper ones as well.

If you change the oil yourself, you shouldn't need any oil filter wrench for a spin-on can because you are only supposed to tighten them by hand
smile.gif

The very first time you change the oil on a given car may be different since shops and even the factory install filters way too tight
mad.gif

In those cases, use a hammer and screwdriver.

For the cartridge filters, you usually need a special cap for that housing. You do not have to buy this from the dealer, as plenty of aftermarket options should be available, including from reputable names like Lisle. In some cases, you just need a socket, albeit a special size. For example, the 2.2/2.4 Ecotec cartridge housing uses a 32mm shallow socket. I am not familiar with the Toyota cartridges. Regardless, only torque it to the factory-spec setting. Do NOT overtighten, or else you could break the housing!

I always tighten by hand and can never get them off by hand. Not sure if its the heat or rubber gasket or I need more Wheaties. 99% of the time I need a wrench to get a filter off.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
If you change the oil yourself, you shouldn't need any oil filter wrench for a spin-on can because you are only supposed to tighten them by hand
smile.gif

I can never tighten them the 3/4 turn after gasket contacts base by hand. I have to use a wrench to get them installed properly.

Originally Posted by blupupher
I have 2 band wrenches, 3 (or is it 4?) cap wrenches and a strap wrench.
All could have been replaced by a single 3 fingered one.

[Linked Image from cdn.zoniv.com]

Not true in some cases. The oil filter in my 1999 Dodge Ram diesel had about 1" between the bottom of it and an AC hose. Nothing would fit on the bottom. Only a band wrench or similar.

Build an assortment of oil filter tools including end caps, strap and pliers type.
Makt sure on is a large channel lock pliers.

The Toyota and Lexus factory tool is an end cap wrench. I don't see any reason to use anything else on these vehicles.

You don't have to use the factory one, even if you use factory filters. I use factory filters on my 4Runner, as does my friend with a GX470, and we both have aftermarket cap wrenches for the factory filter. This is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002INVD4Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A cap wrench is, again, the factory specified method for removing the filter - and on my 4R, it is literally the only way to get the oil filter off without having to remove the factory skid plate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Spktyr
The Toyota and Lexus factory tool is an end cap wrench. I don't see any reason to use anything else on these vehicles.

You don't have to use the factory one, even if you use factory filters. I use factory filters on my 4Runner, as does my friend with a GX470, and we both have aftermarket cap wrenches for the factory filter. This is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002INVD4Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A cap wrench is, again, the factory specified method for removing the filter - and on my 4R, it is literally the only way to get the oil filter off without having to remove the factory skid plate.

Does it do the cartridge and spin on filter's?

My favorite oil filter removal tool is a swivel band wrench. Otherwise, whatever works.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by Spktyr

Does it do the cartridge and spin on filter's?

That is only for spin on. You want something like this for canisters: https://www.amazon.com/Motivx-Tools-Toyota-Filter-Engines/dp/B00XTAGHU0/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2KNZ0ZEUDV0GA&keywords=canister+filter+wrench&qid=1577743192&sprefix=canister+filter+wre%2Caps%2C133&sr=8-1

I also use a big 1/2" ratchet for my canister filter housing. It goes on pretty tight and it's not easy to remove. Tons of videos on youtube showing how to replace the filter in the canister where to put the o-ring and where not to put the o-ring.

Back in the day the filter manufacturers spot welded a tin nut on the bottom of the filter. This was back before American manufactures had to scrimp and save every nano penny to compete with the chicoms.
Sure made things easy.

Originally Posted by P10crew
Back in the day the filter manufacturers spot welded a tin nut on the bottom of the filter. This was back before American manufactures had to scrimp and save every nano penny to compete with the chicoms.
Sure made things easy.

The only oil filters I've ever seen in the forty five or so years I've owned cars and changed their oil with any such nut were K&Ns.
Nothing else ever.

Originally Posted by blupupher
I have 2 band wrenches, 3 (or is it 4?) cap wrenches and a strap wrench.
All could have been replaced by a single 3 fingered one.

[Linked Image from cdn.zoniv.com]

This type works best for me.

this is the one that I use on my scion tC (toyota 2az-fe) engine.. I've tried those end caps, and no matter what I did, it wouldn't have enough torque to break the filter free of the mounting! And yes I hand-tighten all my oil filters. For some reason, it's like the engine sucks the filter up and tightens it more.. crazy but that's how it feels.

this is what I bought, it clamps on the side of the canister, use a 3/8" drive extension to break it free.. only to break it free, then by hand, don't want the tool getting oil all over it..

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Last edited:
I buy tools as necessary. I wound up getting one of those 3 finger contraptions when I got my 5S-FE; back with my TDi I had a stamped socket. For my two newer Toyota's I have one of the fancy sockets that I've been meaning to replace--but since it's still working, it's been low on the list of things to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back