Continental ControlContact Tour A/S

Originally Posted By: Errtt
...FYI - I noticed they (DT) have a new DT low cost tire called "Arizonian Silver Edition III". If I was on a tight budget I would have considered them, if budget was tight.

From what I can tell, the AZS-III appears to be based off the new Cooper CS3 tire. Most I've seen are made in USA. I've noticed a trend lately with newer entry level tires starting off at 8.5/32 or 9/32 however.

I know this is an old post but I am in the same boat trying to decide between ControlContact and TrueContact. People who've had these tires, what do you still think about them? Are these two any different?

i just put 4 of these on our 18 santa fe right before christmas. i'm expecting more life than the mich defenders that were on the sonata . so far they seem really good. if u can wait a bit, watch for a flash sale on discount tire direct (just google discount tire flash sale) my local discount tire store said they would match it and it's usually like $100 off a set of 4

Originally Posted by joel95ex
i just put 4 of these on our 18 santa fe right before christmas. i'm expecting more life than the mich defenders that were on the sonata . so far they seem really good. if u can wait a bit, watch for a flash sale on discount tire direct (just google discount tire flash sale) my local discount tire store said they would match it and it's usually like $100 off a set of 4

I actually need to do an exchange for the Michelin Defenders that I initially got, so I need to make a decision pretty soon. I hate the Defenders. They have been good on snow but are a really bumpy harsh ride. I can feel every single bump on the road. I was having a hard time deciding between the ControlContact and the TrueContact. Some people suggested that since ControlContact are DT exclusive, they might not be as good. How many miles did you get on your Michelins?

well i put them on and only got about 4k before the car was totaled from a deer strike. but the insurance company said they were at 80% treadlife and i've heard too many people talk about poor life. the only michelin i ever got the full life out of was an mxv4 that came on my accord

Originally Posted by cherrypeach

I actually need to do an exchange for the Michelin Defenders that I initially got, so I need to make a decision pretty soon. I hate the Defenders. They have been good on snow but are a really bumpy harsh ride. I can feel every single bump on the road. I was having a hard time deciding between the ControlContact and the TrueContact. Some people suggested that since ControlContact are DT exclusive, they might not be as good. How many miles did you get on your Michelins?

Also, do you think the Continentals are a smoother less bumpier ride than Michelins at all? This is my main reason for the exchange.

well i put them on and only got about 4k before the car was totaled from a deer strike. but the insurance company said they were at 80% treadlife and i've heard too many people talk about poor life. the only michelin i ever got the full life out of was an mxv4 that came on my accord

That's too bad. Do you like the ride of your Continentals better by any chance? Or are they similar?

i didn't think the michelin's were noisy. these are on a different vehicle so it's difficult to say because this santa fe seems to ride a little different. so far the continentals seem good. my main concern with any tire is wet weather performance--

i didn't think the michelin's were noisy. these are on a different vehicle so it's difficult to say because this santa fe seems to ride a little different. so far the continentals seem good. my main concern with any tire is wet weather performance--

I see you are located in Texas so you probably you wouldn't know how they are in snow?

I noticed that the Control Contacts are made in either Romania or Potugal, while I believe that the True Contacts are made in the USA. However I don't know how much of a difference that makes.

Note that the ControlContacts do give up those fancy three-layer wear indicators that are built into the TrueContacts, but the ControlContacts apparently have an extra layer (presumably an extra belt) between the steel belts and the tread. If you pull up the specs on both at the Continental site (not at the Discount Tire site), and you specify the same size for each one, the weight is about 0.8 pounds heavier for the ControlContacts - presumably this correponds to the extra belt placed over the steel belts.

In some sense, it's good that the weight is a little bit more for the ControlContacts, since if it wasn't, I would suspect that they had a cheaper / thinner sidewall structure. The fact that they have the additional belt and the weight correspondingly incresed by 0.8 pounds per tire leads one to believe that the sidewalls are unchanged between the two.

I also find it interesting that the 5-rib design of the CC's closely resembles the 5-rib design of the ProContact, which is a slightly higher-performing tire design.

Here is the Control Contact:

1660380937963.jpg

Here is the ProContact:

1660381144700.jpg

What does all of this mean? I'm not sure!

four discount tire, conti tires have been on my 108,000 mile 2013 vw passat s for almost three years/20k miles: quiet, grippy, 2mpg better than the previous kelly edge tires. with a 10% military veteran’s discount and my asked-for target all-in price of $500, that became my final otd price. i couldn’t be happier with dt and conti.

I noticed that the Control Contacts are made in either Romania or Potugal, while I believe that the True Contacts are made in the USA. However I don't know how much of a difference that makes.

Note that the ControlContacts do give up those fancy three-layer wear indicators that are built into the TrueContacts, but the ControlContacts apparently have an extra layer (presumably an extra belt) between the steel belts and the tread. If you pull up the specs on both at the Continental site (not at the Discount Tire site), and you specify the same size for each one, the weight is about 0.8 pounds heavier for the ControlContacts - presumably this correponds to the extra belt placed over the steel belts.

In some sense, it's good that the weight is a little bit more for the ControlContacts, since if it wasn't, I would suspect that they had a cheaper / thinner sidewall structure. The fact that they have the additional belt and the weight correspondingly incresed by 0.8 pounds per tire leads one to believe that the sidewalls are unchanged between the two.

I also find it interesting that the 5-rib design of the CC's closely resembles the 5-rib design of the ProContact, which is a slightly higher-performing tire design.

Here is the Control Contact:

View attachment 112292

Here is the ProContact:

View attachment 112293

What does all of this mean? I'm not sure!

Also: the Control Contacts avoid having to put in the various dye layers that the "wear indicators" in the TrueContacts utilize. I wonder if leaving out the fancy dyes like that actually results in a simpler tread-forming process in the ControlContacts, and hence possibly a lightly stronger tread overall. (One would think that having to layer in the various dyed layers of rubber having specific wear characteristics so they can act as indicators must greatly complicate the tread manufacturing process.)

Also: the Control Contacts avoid having to put in the various dye layers that the "wear indicators" in the TrueContacts utilize. I wonder if leaving out the fancy dyes like that actually results in a simpler tread-forming process in the ControlContacts, and hence possibly a lightly stronger tread overall. (One would think that having to layer in the various dyed layers of rubber having specific wear characteristics so they can act as indicators must greatly complicate the tread manufacturing process.)
One more blurb: perusing the Continental Webpage, I found this technology (mentioned in the "EcoContact 6" tire model).

1660412519337.jpg

Five ribs, and a sound-absorbing layer under the tread. Seems familiar! I wonder if this is what's in the ControlContacts. (They do mention an "additional absorbing layer" on the description of the ControlContacts - although in that case it's described as being for vibration absorption, rather than purely for sound absorption as mentioned here. However, vibration = sound, so I wonder !)

Back