Do Diff Covers Work Or Are They Just Bling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love mine so far
Easy drain and fill !!

663B3029-D812-4A7B-A255-65FC914DCAD7.jpeg

I like the G2 with the vertical fill plug
Don't think mine was even 200 bucks

D3D37FBE-65F8-4C54-94D2-ED7DBFDAF0B3.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted by userfriendly
I would like to see Banks do a comparison between 75W90 and 80W140.

I asked then for that Data Too on YouTube comments....Also the just said "Amsoils the best that's why we teamed up with them" Im like if you guys did any kind of rear-end lube research, you would of found out that LE oil is the best, that's why its not compared on the Amsoil test results page!!

I have a mag hytec flat back on my ram dually for a few reasons. Extra capacity, cooling, temp probe , drain plug& dip stick with magnets. The banks video got me thinking but I don't fully buy into all the rest of his stuff. I do believe a radius at the top will help promote oil to stay on top of the ring gear to get it to the pinion. I decided to fab up a metal piece for the top corner of the flat back. My cardboard template is the exact shape, thickness and location of the factory stamped steel cover radius round back. I chose to leave the bottom of the flat back as is. It acts more like a sump to pick up the oil. Side note who out there actually had a diff fail because of there diff cover anyway

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mjhockey
I have a mag hytec flat back on my ram dually for a few reasons. Extra capacity, cooling, temp probe , drain plug& dip stick with magnets. The banks video got me thinking but I don't fully buy into all the rest of his stuff. I do believe a radius at the top will help promote oil to stay on top of the ring gear to get it to the pinion. I decided to fab up a metal piece for the top corner of the flat back. My cardboard template is the exact shape, thickness and location of the factory stamped steel cover radius round back. I chose to leave the bottom of the flat back as is. It acts more like a sump to pick up the oil. Side note who out there actually had a diff fail because of there diff cover anyway.
Banks' videos are a glorified sales pitch that dovetails into the introduction of his new and improved ***** cover.

What are you using to hold the metal strip in place inside the Mag-Hytec?

I did not read all sixteen pages of this thread but I remember this... My brother has a '65 Pontiac Tempest that many years ago, we swapped in a 327 chevy and turbo 350 in place of a 216 i-6 and Powerglide. He immediately grenaded the rear that was in the car. Then, we learned the hard way that BOP ten bolt rears were also weak. We were at a chassis shop dropping off a Ford 9 inch to be narrowed to the Pontiac's width when almost like magic, a guy walked in with a 65 Chevelle 12 bolt that he was having narrowed. 65 was a one year only width. These are like hen's teeth. He looked at our nine inch and said that's what I really want. We traded with him and took home the 12 bolt.
The point of this whole story is this is when I became curious as to why the 12 bolt had that eyebrow pressed into the steel cover. It's to direct lube to the axle seals. Old timers told us never put a cover on a 12 bolt without that. The finned Mr Gasket cover my brother bought has it cast on the inside like a fin.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
I have a mag hytec flat back on my ram dually for a few reasons. Extra capacity, cooling, temp probe , drain plug& dip stick with magnets. The banks video got me thinking but I don't fully buy into all the rest of his stuff. I do believe a radius at the top will help promote oil to stay on top of the ring gear to get it to the pinion. I decided to fab up a metal piece for the top corner of the flat back. My cardboard template is the exact shape, thickness and location of the factory stamped steel cover radius round back. I chose to leave the bottom of the flat back as is. It acts more like a sump to pick up the oil. Side note who out there actually had a diff fail because of there diff cover anyway.
Banks' videos are a glorified sales pitch that dovetails into the introduction of his new and improved ***** cover.

I have a nut welded to the back side of the plate and then have a hole drilled through back of diff almost exact same size of bolt with rtv to seal it.

Side note who out there actually had a diff fail because of there diff cover anyway

I know of some diff failures that occurred while these flat-backed aftermarket covers were in place. Mostly pinion bearing failures. Some before this testing series came out, and some since. I don't think those flat-backed covers were often suspected in the failures, simply because the effect they can have in starving the pinion of lube, wasn't realized.

That awareness of the issue is changing, mostly due to this test by Banks. I know numerous racers who pull very heavy trailers with Dually's. The failures I mentioned were mostly those racers and their tow vehicles.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Side note who out there actually had a diff fail because of there diff cover anyway

I know of some diff failures that occurred while these flat-backed aftermarket covers were in place. Mostly pinion bearing failures. Some before this testing series came out, and some since. I don't think those flat-backed covers were often suspected in the failures, simply because the effect they can have in starving the pinion of lube, wasn't realized.

That awareness of the issue is changing, mostly due to this test by Banks. I know numerous racers who pull very heavy trailers with Dually's. The failures I mentioned were mostly those racers and their tow vehicles.

I towed heavy for hours on end (14+) with zero issues with Mag-Hytec on both axles on both trucks. There is more to those failures than a flat back cover.

There is more to those failures than a flat back cover.

Maybe, but we don't really know that. The failures I'm referring to, all had aftermarket flat-back covers. None of these owners are clueless. They all are accomplished mechanics.

One thing is certain, an aftermarket flat-back cover was in use in each case.

Anybody have more comprehensive R&D than what Banks videotaped on this subject …

The flat back is clearly a thoughtless design … all the professional gear and axle companies use a cover that hugs the ring gear.

Maybe, but we don't really know that. The failures I'm referring to, all had aftermarket flat-back covers. None of these owners are clueless. They all are accomplished mechanics.

We do not know anything other than they failed...

And that they all had flat-back aftermarket diff covers...

Since rebuilding their differentials, and going with covers that aren't a flat-backed aftermarket cover, they haven't incurred any more failures. We're talking a group of racers that travel around the country pulling 44-52ft goose neck race trailers from event to event. After seeing that Banks video, their diff (and particularly pinion) failures made a bit more sense to them, and they decided to make a change away from those flat-backed aftermarket diff covers.

It may be anecdotal, but the last I heard from my friends and their friends, so far so good...

And that they all had flat-back aftermarket diff covers...

Well, correlation != causation. There are far too many of these covers out there being used in many different circumstances that if this were a widespread issue Internet amplification would certainly spread the bad news like wildfire.

Originally Posted by 4WD
This is a decent design

Looks appealing. Have a link?

Even if Banks make a diff cover for my 2015 Ram 1500 I'm not sure if I would spend the $350. But definitely won't ever install a flat-back. Would rather stick with good gear oil and a sensible OCI.

(Love how he calls the guys at Mag-Hytec A$$-Hats!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back